Intel Xeon W-3175X CPU
RTX 3080ti GPU
32GB RAM
1000W PSU
1TB SSD
2TB HDD
Steam VR
Vive Pro 2

I am new to VR and personally am absolutely blown away with the visuals in MSFS 2020. I get 30 FPS at the lowest and 60 FPS at the highest depending on many factors. The CTD issues after Sim Update 5 and drop in Visual quality have me quite upset now!

I agree, right now it’s botched. Well, that gave me the time to finally try IL 2 and it’s awesome.

2 Likes

You are getting 60 FPS in VR with a Vive Pro 2?

The best I have seen with my system is 30 FPS.

i9 11900K @ 5.0G RTX 3090 64 G ram.

Yeah, 60fps seems weird to me as well…

Just in time for SU5 I built my new 5950x/3090 rig and now I’m able to experience this mess in its full glory! :slight_smile:

Maybe someone like @CptLucky8 could jump in here and confirm(?) my assumption: The blurriness and shimmering of buildings and trees can be explained by the missing AA, which, at least for me, also reduced the quality of displays in the cockpit. When I was still using my 1080 Ti with SU4, I tried TAA 100, SS 100 just to see what it looks like and both, cockpit and scenery were perfectly sharp.

So, is there a reason why AA has been disabled (or even sacrificed) by Asobo? I’m a bit worried that we’re not loud enough here in the VR forums, as AA doesn’t really seem to be an issue for all the others flying in 2D…

1 Like

To me it is not a problem of disabled AA, and as a matter of fact, it is very easy to see for yourself whether it is: compare TAA, FXAA and OFF:

• If you don’t see much difference on the edges between FXAA and OFF, then FXAA is not working as it should.

• If you don’t see much difference on shimmering between TAA and FXAA then TAA is not working as if should either.

To me, if this “shimmering” is mostly visible on highlights (sun lit edges for example), this most likely is related to a long lasting bug:

[BUG] Shader code ‘viewdir’ and shadow/light rendering are inconsistent on right eye - Bugs & Issues / Virtual Reality (VR) - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

1 Like

Yeah, you might be right (as usual). :wink: Since everything looked so bad in VR I didn’t even think of comparing TAA “on” and “off” settings…

The thing is that it used to work until SU5 “happened to us”, AA seems like a good explanation to me. Funnily enough, I also had similar issues in P3D, which started somewhat around the beginning of the year: AA was broken in VR all of the sudden, maybe Windows or Nvidia is to blame, I don’t know.

What I do know is that it’s super frustrating looking at the outside world now–it just ruined VR for me completely.

1 Like

@TheMacallan1605
I might be wrong but these simple tests will help revealing where lies the problem if any.

However what is possible is a NVidia bug like the one I’ve found with anisotropic, but this time also on Nvidia AA settings. In other words, you once set NVidia AA overrides, you’re now reverting to “let app decide”, but in fact it is no longer doing any AA, like it is no longer doing any anisotropic filttering in the bug I’m describing here:

PSA: NVidia Anisotropic Bug: in-game setting disabled (was: Some tests on Texture Resolution and Quality)

The shimmering is there on flat panel also. It’s just more apparent in VR I guess.

Presumably they did test it and considered it acceptable - which it might be if your focus is optimizing for a single display with a narrow FoV viewed from 3m

@somethingbrite
I believe you are right, because the main issue I can find is that because of what I call the “viewdir bug” in the link above, any subtle difference in lighting between the eyes gets immediately noticeable. You can often see such differences in the clouds or on the strong highlights/shadows.

I did some more testing. Going back to default in the NCP didn’t do anything for me, actually. And AA seems to work fine for me in 2D, not in VR though: Not in the cockpit, nor for the scenery.

Maybe we’re talking about completely different effects here, but what’s bugging me about the scenery is the immersion killing shimmering, that’s very disturbing for buildings, especially. This can’t have anything to do with this “viewdir” bug, as it won’t be visible when you close one eye, I would guess.

I can clearly see the shimmering of the buildings whether or not I close one of my eyes, and the jagged edges of the buildings as well–either contributing to the shimmering or causing it in the first place.

I wish you or someone else here had a workaround for this mess, it was working just fine before SU5…

1 Like

“viewdir” here is not YOUR view direction, it is the view direction vector in the Shader code!

Ah, misunderstood this one then. :slight_smile:

Have you also an explanation for the reflections (on water) being completely messed up?

Water reflections might be related to some extent, but the bulk of the problem is just an unfortunate consequence of optimizing the reflection pass, in spreading it over multiple frame and/or in updating it only every other frames. This is just a wild guess from the look of it (you have similar “delay” with the shadows but they are snapping back faster to the new direction you’re looking at - when turning the head for example)

1 Like

I fly only in VR. Only getting an occasional CTD mainly when pressing a switch or button in cockpit. It appears to happen sporadically and with several aircraft. Graphics on high or Ultra for most settings. Totally smooth since SU5, no stutters any more.

Motherboard: Asus Rog Hero x11 wifi Z490
55" curved oled Tv.
CPU: Intel i9-10900K @5.3ghz per core.
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 turbo
CPU-Cooler: Liquid cooled 240mm
PSU: Kolink 1200watt Platinum
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4/3600mhz
M.2 NVME SSD: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
M.2 NVME SSD: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
SSD: NVME Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
5.1 logitech sound system Soundblaster Z.
Next level V3 Motion platform on GT Ultimate rig.
2 Buttkickers on race rig with 300watt earthquake amp.
Sim Racing studio wind and tactile generators.
Saitek Quadrant.
Saitek Multi panel.
Honeycomb Alpha Yoke.
Honeycomb Bravo Throttle controller.
Saitek fuel controller and deicer levers.
Thrustmaster TPR Rudder.
VR. HP Reverb G2

Also running 471.68 Nvidia driver with no problems.

What I noticed is that everything flies relatively smoothly, but my workload in SteamVR sticks to the top. Frame times around 30ms. Before 15-20ms. (same setting/Pi8kx/10850k/TitanRTX)
The CPU is heavily used, so I have short disconnections to the Hotas. Hardly noticeable, but the brief resetting of the throttle causes my motors to switch off.

To be honest, the SU05 update just gets on my nerves.
I don’t need to mention the not so nice xbox optic, right?

Stumbled over this thread by accident. Interesting, even though I wouldn’t draw the same conclusions…

Here is the video linked in this article:

If you’re keen on detail, you’ve probably noticed that MSAA doesn’t work anymore for P3D and other titles, also taxiway and runway lines give an “ant marching” effect.

This effect is also visible on scenery as shown in the following video from another user:

I don’t believe I’ve noticed any of this on my test system both in 3D and VR though.

Installed P3D last night to bridge the gap until the first higher-level airliner will become available in FS2020 and to challenge my own observations from earlier this year on my old rig: Yes, AA isn’t really working anymore, which is noticeable in the cockpit as well as for the scenery.

What’s also extremely funny is that back with my i7700K/1080Ti combo, I’ve been able getting decent fps in VR with SS 240(!) and 10.9 GB VRAM usage, now with my 5950x/3090 I’m GPU limited with 35 fps (SS 100) and only 8 GB VRAM usage (that’s all in P3D). So I’d say similar “downgrades” in these regards–very strange that VRAM usage took such a huge hit in P3D as well…