This is the most dishonest thing that ever happened to me with MSFS2020

This is the most dishonest thing that ever happened to me with Microsoft Flight Simulator, it’s a rip-off and I am very disappointed.

When the simulator first came out I decided to buy the “Game Pass” for a dollar a month mostly to see if my laptop could run the simulator…

I realized that it could and soon in the Marketplace they upload a promotion to do an “Upgrade” from Standard edition to premium Deluxe for something like “60USD”. So i bought it…

Obviously I stopped paying for the Xbox Game Pass because I had no reason to continue having the subscription and it was like 5-10USD monthly… I only use the sim and i just upgrade it so i cancelled my suscription…

With the new Update the simulator did not want to update so I decided to uninstall and reinstall to have a new clean install…

And now it turns out that what I paid in January, I can no longer use it because apparently I paid an upgrade that needs to have the Game Pass active something that nowhere mentioned …

And what’s worse I’m not sure if paying the Game Pass again I can use the simulator in its Premium Deluxe edition… It sucks and I want my money back…

I honestly don’t know how to proceed or where to complain… I have done nothing but recommend and support the project for the last 2 years…

If you google Microsoft Flight Simulator - “340 FlightSim Credits” you will find all the people that is in the same situation as me…

now I have a lot of questions…

Do I need to pay the game pass for life to have the full simulator?
Can i buy the standard version and in the market place I will have the option to upgrade ?
What exactly did i pay?

1 Like

What is sounds like, to me, is you bought the Premium Deluxe upgrade within the sim’s Marketplace.

Basically, that purchase is meant for people (such as myself) who initially purchased the base sim from the MS Store (or Steam) for $60 or the Deluxe for $90, rather than the Premium Deluxe version for $120.

The Marketplace upgrade is to allow us to step up from the Base to either the Deluxe and/or the Premium; or if one bought the Deluxe, initially, they can upgrade to the Premium. Of course, the best approach financially is to buy the Premium Deluxe from the MS Store, because the cost of the Base or Deluxe plus the Marketplace upgrade is far less cost effective. (Grumble, harumph)

What you’re going to need to do is buy the $60 base sim, then once you’ve done that you’ll have access to the Premium Deluxe content you bought from the Marketplace.

Before you do this, however, I’d try and see if a Community Manager can confirm this to be accurate.

Good luck!

6 Likes

I too believe that you just need to buy the base version, for about the $60. You paid $60 to upgraded from the base, that you were in essence renting, to the Premium Deluxe.

In essence you are ending paying the same price as buying the Premium Deluxe. I just bought a second license for a second PC and paid I think $119.99 for the Premium Deluxe.

It’s too bad you waited so long and stayed on GamePass, but you were paying for a service that allowed you to play other games besides Flight Simulator, even if you didn’t.

It’s like renting an apartment for a year and then expecting all your money back, when you move out.

3 Likes

This exact thing happened to me. You have to buy the base game as mentioned above.

Buying the Deluxe update does not mean that the product has been bought. That´s like buying a DLC or Expansion Pack and wondering why the game is not launching.

You must buy the Flight Simulator itself before buying Deluxe upgrades of DLC machines :slight_smile:
Or use it with the Game Pass when needed just like I do (the Flight Sim is currently not needed because I wait for the PMDG and Fenix releases before fully hopping in again).

I dont rememeber it was a DLC, it said its an upgrade also doesnt said you need a standard version… Maybe i didnt read all the ad but im retty sure it only said it was an upgrade…

Sorry this happened to you. It’s an unfortunate case of user error. It’s not dishonest. The upgrade is so people who bought the base game can buy the extra content later if they decide. It very clearly states in the first line in the marketplace ad all caps that it is an upgrade and still requires the standard edition. Hopefully you will find some enjoyment out of your extra content. I bought it just for the extra planes, the handcrafted airports are also extremely well done for the value in my opinion.

2 Likes

but that is exactly it…upgrade, it upgrades the base…the base is the gamepassversion,
you did not buy that.
i agree it is not very clearly put in the store.
so either you need to continue the gamepass or buy the basegame.

Your $60 upgrade is useless without the base pack, either purchased or with game pass.

To continue using MSFS you can either

1. Resubscribe to Game Pass @ $5 / month = $60 / year (assuming it doe snot go up)
    or
  2. Purchase the Base Pack @ $60 with does not need to be renewed, and should last for the lifetime of the game ( 10 years from 2021)

Very wise advise from a previous poster is :-

Before you do this, however, I’d try and see if a Community Manager can confirm this to be accurate.

I’d hardly call this dishonest as it seems you’d thought you’d gotten a bargain.

Pay the full price like the rest of us :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m no CM, but I can confirm this.

The upgrade is exactly that. An upgrade. You can buy the base version or rent it via gamepass. Either is fine. However, if you stop renting the base version you can no longer use the upgrade.

Nothing dishonest about it.

I tend to disagree.

4 Likes

ha indeed yes…so seems the op had a big blackout when buying this.

Perhaps it’s a bit “sloppy and unprofessional”, but not dishonest. I bought the Steam version Deluxe, then I bought the Store Version Deluxe so I could be off Steam. Then they made Xbox app mandatory so my Store version wouldn’t start. That really bugged me for awhile, but it was worth it. The sim is running great, and it will only get better. Buy the base and stick around!

If you have the Game Pass you have a discount…
BUT… you have to buy the game… not the update…

I bought the MSFS at 94.99USD… with 20.00USD less, I paid only 75.99USD…
With this I don’t need any more game pass… BUT… I have grandchildren and I need it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Topic is closed. OP question answered.