Thoughts on why performance has gotten worse

If we find something that we feel use too much CPU than it needs to use i think it’s good to report that specific thing. I think that helps more than just say it has performance issues. Well, i hope they find the cause for our need to turn down settings :slight_smile: But i rather have the same settings i have now with the same graphics quality i have now than turn them up to have exactly the same graphics as i have now with same amount of FPS.

When I first loaded FS I decided to not put any other mods in until I had tested all the Asobo craft and systems. I did not want to buy anything until I knew what I did not want. So just using what was there I have had a fault free two years of the sim.
Edit I have 600+ hours but about 2000 flights.

2 Likes

Agree, mods causing much issues. I just removed some liveries and the fps increased much. Many of the mods are not updated and optimised especially free addons.

I think even Asobos own free world updates causing issues with performance. And those issues should Asobo fix. I know for sure Arlanda (ESSA) airport causes really bad gpu load for me.

Really good topic for Asobo to read in the future. This topic is more constructive.

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I’m doing as well. My community folder is empty, I don’t even install the world updates anymore, because from 3-5 installed world updates the MSFS gets sluggish, especially in the game menu. I don’t install any third party updates at all anymore. AI Aviation Traffic, Photogrammetry and Live Real-World Air Traffic are turned off. But as long as the simulator is in the “10 year beta” phase, I guess it will stay that way. I’ll gladly forgo searching for the addon that causes problems after an update. I have already wasted enough time in FSX and earlier searching for problematic addons.

I think Asobo test it like that as well. And we should too. Because if we don’t we get downgraded graphics overall to be able to use addons with all settings at maximum.

This is the point that I was trying to make. The Sim Update 9 is a backwards step because they’re optimizing the sim for DirectX 12 and jamming it all down the limited threads /■■■■■■ draw call structure that DirectX 11 allows, but once they implement DirectX 12 and open up the ability to flow the “data” much much more effectively and through more threads it will be just fine.

My guess, they probably wouldn’t have done it this way if they didn’t have to keep pumping out new features / updates. They need to do the background work for DirectX 12 and they “need” to keep putting out world updates and content updates. It’s really not reasonable to hard fork the code and build out DirectX 12 and separately add the new features therefore as they make the new features which are smaller, they’re committing code that’s designed for DirectX 12 but we don’t have it yet, hence it’s running worse for the moment.

Yes we’re going to get DirectX 12 in sim update 10… But will they be done optimizing the engine for DirectX 12… Who knows!

The point is that everyone needs to calm down and realize the Sim is not going to get better on DirectX11, sim update 10 might even have worse DirectX 11 performance as they continue to change the engine to run on DirectX12. At this point we just need to hope that SU10 DirectX 12 will be better than DirectX 11 right now

DirectX 12 is a fundamental change, I think a lot of people are thinking of DirectX 12 as a “feature” it’s not to use properly it requires massive changes to how the game engine operates.

Just for the record I think it’s kind of ■■■■■■ that we’re in this position, but I’m okay with it knowing that we need to get through this transition and the sim will be much better for it. I think the developers are in a tough position, I bet you all of them given the choice would have closed the doors for several months and just made all the core changes and came back, but they don’t have that opportunity.

3 Likes

Yes, i think and hope you are right :slight_smile: I think we are needing more VRAM in DX12 though? I hope DLSS support will help with that. To me the sim feels really optimised for dx11 in my opinion. I don’t think they can optimise it more for that anyway.

Only traffic and photogrammetry that feels too CPU demanding. Maybe they decrease in demand then when dx12 releases? I’m really sceptical. I think it’s some problems with those specific things. But i will stay calm until they say dx 12 is ready.

I know since release complaining about performance will cause downgrades in graphics. And complaining about graphics will cause loss in FPS :man_shrugging:

Old base code isn’t going to be fixed by DX12, temper your expectations.

6 Likes

I agree it’s old but the sim we have now is much more optimised than FSX. I could run MSFS on my old pc i had at release with lowest settings. Couldn’t even use FSX when that was released with a new PC. It was like a slideshow for me.

The pmdg 737 runs smooth above 30FPS, and when i used that in FSX around 10 years after release it was running below 30FPS and needed to tune FSX much in config files to be smooth. In MSFS i can tune it to run smooth only by using settings in the sim.

1 Like

Yes we all know there is old base code, what code is that? Do any of us know? I don’t think so.

Its hard to say for sure when the sim hit peak performance, I’ve been on and off the sim. Also obviously there’s many factors involved in that where it’s not really possible to say. But sim update 5 seems to be referenced often as a really good build for performance. (Is it a surprise this was the Xbox launch version, again guessing but maybe they got the time to actually throughly test this build)

Anyway that was July 2021, the sim is generally considered to have become less optimized since then. Maybe they have been rewriting that code for the past year to have the game ready for DX12.

We don’t know how much of that legacy code is left, we know it’s the flight model, we also know that they’re working on a new cfd based flight model, (on the 172 right now) my guess is they fully intend on removing as much of that legacy code as they can over time. No proof just another hunch.

I think they’ve been working towards DirectX 12 for a while now, they hit their milestone of PC launch, they hit their milestone of Xbox, and the next step for the Sim is to get to DirectX 12, while at the same time keeping the game fresh as Microsoft is the one footing the bill here. The continued sales of Flight Simulator is not covering this entire development team, FS2020 is a loss leader for Microsoft to show off Xbox JUST MY OPINION.

1 Like

I haven’t been flying this version of MSFS for too long. However, I recently upgraded my chip, motherboard, memory and video card. MSFS defaults for graphics are basically ultra. I don’t usually check the fps as long as I get good smooth flights. According to my AMD software, I am averaging about 78 fps with the graphics options at the default values.

So I cannot complain about the performance. Our area recently got 1Gbs internet too. I usually get about 960MBs. I suppose that also helps.

MSFS has ALWAYS been hard on hardware. I used to fly the PMDG 747 and others back in the early to mid 2000’s. It was a tough. The hardware just wasn’t up to it. Present day is a lot better in my opinion.

1 Like

I know this will frustrate some – because the sim is frustrating in its strangeness – but it was several updates ago that I found myself forced to turn down settings and that included the ObjectLOD which I kept turning down but it never really helped the airport stutters even logically, to me, it should. so I got fed up and turned the setting all the way back to 200 and now the sim runs pretty smooth again. its just strange.
Turn settings up and not down. Ignore all frames counters.

Agree, didn’t need to turn down any setting when using PMDG 737. Only needed to turn down t-lod while using Fenix A320 because that running an app in the background. I think that is even more complex with all of those circuit breakers and failures working. I’m really happy to be able to use all of those complex airliners without waiting for new hardware to be released.

As i said only traffic and photogrammetry that is really CPU demanding for me. I think those complex airliners should require more CPU than those things i mentioned but they are not. Thats why i think they should optimise those but maybe they are with DX12. I don’t know.

To me:

All the traffic options are too much CPU demanding
Photogrammetry is also too much CPU demanding compared to photogrammetry off objects. I don’t want them to decrease details in neither of those though. Only maybe find what causes those to demand that much CPU.

List more things here that you find CPU demanding. Maybe will help us all optimise our settings a bit until we get dx12 functioning propperly. Also maybe helps Asobo find the cause of performance issues in the future.

Remember Jorg said this is a journey. DX12 will bring ray tracing, and that means a visual leap forward. DLSS and FSR 2.0 will bring a performance leap forward. It’s all heading in the right direction. Yes, the road is bumpy, but that’s flight sims for you.

2 Likes

Agree, i think we need to stay calm.

I can recommend to never turn down off-screen terrain pre caching lower than ULTRA. I know that causes the sim to crash or freeze for some people. Just wanted to mention that. On low setting almost nothing is cached and makes the CPU/GPU rerender everything all the time we turn the camera.

Someone that understand the need for that to be lower than ULTRA? Is it helping those with less available RAM or something?

If DX12 can somehow split the main thread even once like a sort of CPU DDR or RAID then there’s hope aside from that being possible I don’t foresee drastic improvements.

I don’t think DX 12 will give us the great performance stated.

At least to those of us who cannot afford:
i9-12900K or 13 or 14
Z690 MB or Z790 or Z890
DDR 6000 or 7000 or 9000
M.2 SSD or M.3 or M.4

How about all the ‘stuff’ they sell us in the Marketplace. Lots of it isn’t ‘Asobo’, but it’s officially sold to us by MS who employs Asobo. I wonder how much of those gems lead to issues?

I’ve come to the realization that SU updates are like Star Trek movies. Even numbered updates are good, Odd numbered updates are bad.

I just go with the flow….

1 Like

Performance really has not gotten worse for me … having said that it has not gotten any better either.
There is so many little things that need work, tooltips, lights, persistence, time, all the stuff that people have modded, the kind of stuff that they could knock out in a couple of days and integrate into the sim. But they have had bigger things to do like weather (really looks good now) integrating the rest of the world etc.
It’s just gonna take time … I just hope they keep progressing.

2 Likes