Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS One - Loose Throttle

I had jitters in Y axis on Hotas One, it is a hardware issue (bad potentiometers) and a warranty return issue, they won’t repair, they will replace.
Got a new one and it is fine. Throttle still is still lack but now no jitters.

There is somewhere out therre on youtube. I think it involves removal of one plate with an indent in it. You would have to research. It would invalidate any warranty you have though. Have to admit not a fan of the 50% indent. a more resistive throttle with no indent would be great. Or if you use with the A320 a ‘CL’ indent preferrably!

Mine is so bad the nose of the aircraft bobs up and down like a yo-yo when taking off. :laughing:

That’s bad. I had my elevator moved a fair bit with no input. When I first ran FS2020 on the XBox I thought that the small aircraft were just more twitchy. :sweat_smile:
If you want to see how it manifests in the jitters follow these links to mp4 files I uploaded to Thrustmaster about the issue here.
Maybe TM had a faulty batch of Hotas Ones with bad pots. I saw someone else over on Twitter tweeting a video of a rudder jitter to M/S FS asking when they were going to fix it :joy:
You can of course just add in a dead zone to relieve it somewhat, but mine needed something like a 20% dead zone which was ridiculous, so back it went.

For evereybody, who is already outside the warranty timeframe: You can fix the low resistance issue by increasing tension on the screws within the throttle. Open the bottom of the base and there is a U shaped plate below the throttle. Increase the tension there by 1/4 or even less rotations on one of the two screws holding the plate. Check resistance and repeat before closing the base again.

There are also videos on Youtube, how to get rid of the 50% detent as well. You have to remove said plate and will find a rounded hollow casing (containing a spring) with a ridge on it. Hone down the ridge and put all parts together.
But be aware, there will be still a small deadzone around 50%, but no mechanical detent anymore.

like this:
Thrustmaster T-Flight smooth throttle fix - YouTube

he is also explaining how to remove the 50% snap. anyone knows, for what it could be useful to let it remain?

1 Like

Star Citizen or any other space game, where you have symetric throttle forward and backward.
For aviation this is not really the case, as you would need more forward thrust. Maybe only as a climb/flex thrust detent, but still, nothing a real aircraft would have at 50%.

mean while I did the modification but there is only a slightly improvement. It still feels very loose and only tightening the screws is not helping. Any further hacks?

Bit late but only bought this HOTAS recently.

I opened mine up, removed the curved bracket and spring. Stretched the spring a fair bit and cleaned a lot of the grease off.

Now its perfect - it used to fall forwards and backwards at certain positions.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Had this problem with a brand new Hotas 4 also and it is a known defect. The spring inside is not strong enough to create the correct resistance or collapsed sideways during assemble or shipping most likely. I took mine apart, added a tape spacer where the wires are to create a little more natural resistance, pulled on the spring to expand it slightly and now it has resistance. Saw a thread where you could prove you had the problem and they will send you a new one but that was a while back.

1 Like

If anyone cuts the cord off of their Hotas on Thrustmasters say-so can you please post the photo so we can use it?

I have tried to create a permanent (yet reversable) fix for this issue. It works very well with my throttle, however I think my throttle was slightly less loose than what is shown in the topic starter’s video. If anyone tries this out and still are having issues with the throttle beeing to loose, please let me know and I can make a revision with even more tension on the spring.

Download and print the part:

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/123334-thrustmaster-tflight-hotas-one-throttle-fix
2 Likes

Thanks for the post. This looks like a straightforward way to get rid of that unwanted detent and I will probably strengthen the spring at the same time.

Just finished the mod. It’s great! Smooth action with no detent and, with a slightly stretched spring, the tension is acceptable.

1 Like

I cut a strip of inner tube about 3/4 inch wide and about 8" long, stapled the ends together, and fit it around my throttle housing like a big rubber band, rubbing up against the throttle. So far, so good.

I have just done a couple of fixes.
I used a dremel to shave off the middle detent lump ,cleaned the surface and added the existing excess grease that was sittiing in the grooove that the detent lump slots into.I then stretched the spring to make the sloppiness decrease.

The Detent removal works superbly and is very smooth, well worth doing.
The Throttle definitely lost most of the slop due to the spring being streched but I like it very firm so I put a strip of double sided tape onto the rear half barrel of the throttle and stuck on a matching size piece of velcro tape ( got the idea from Youtube).It is now good and firm so that you can push buttons/ trim etc without the throttle moving.

CaptainKM101

3d

I thought that other users who have the Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas One Joystick for Xbox (the one with the very badly designed loose throttle) might benefit from this. I took mine apart, filed down the detent notch and then inserted sticky fixers to the plastic tabs inside the joystick housing itself. No more unsightly rubber bands or Velcro on the outside, and it works an absolute treat. The throttle now has a nice resistance to it, and is super smooth. Do this at your own risk, but personally I think it was totally worth voiding my warranty for. Take note, there is a pointless small dead spot around 50%, but this is evident on this joystick whether you carry out this modification or not. It makes me wonder if the detent was originally designed to be used for engine idle, with reverse thrust to the rear of this, and forward thrust towards the front?

i didnt take mine apart, just stuck some velcro to the bottom of the throttle quad where it slides in and out of the housing. i can still feel the notch but as the throttle now has a lot more resistance it doesnt effect so much

1 Like

I’m new to Xbox (very old guy in 2nd childhood) - I assumed/thought the detent was for afterburner on jets?? Probably bad assumption, but…

56 year old flyer here(dont think i finished my first childhood yet) , the indent has nothing to do with full or military power. thanks to the sensitivity setting that can be moved to anywhere. the indent is just midway in the throttle travel on the unit, and i for one have at times found it very annoying. one of the things the Velcro fix helped to lesson ,

Thanks. Makes sense. Will try ur Velcro fix soon. I am 75 and was Navigator/weapons Systems Operator (WSO) on F-4s and F-15s in 70s and 80s. Even flew about 2000 hours in C-130s in early 70s. Have lots of ‘stick time’ in all - back in those days, Navs got to do everything except drop bombs or fire guns - lots of TOS, landings and formation flying (wingtip). So, as I digress or progress into my 4th quarter of life, my golf game is suffering so I needed to take up another hobby! Taking me awhile to get off the ground as setting up this Hoyas One stick and throttle has been a pain. Flight Simulator has come along way since I last played on PC. Wanted to start with FS and progress towards my goal of playing Aces Combat 7. Thanks for the response.

1 Like