Time put MSFS in drawer and load up X-Plane again

Interesting fact. Let me give a thought over it :thinking:

I don’t agree on (at least) these two points.

3 Likes

Regarding ATC your best bets are VATSIM, IVAO, PilotEdge, POSCON or Pilot2ATC. Flying as a /A or /G I really have no problems flying under IFR on the VATSIM network. As a user of it for 12 years I find it incredibly fun in MSFS despite the current issues. Pulling out real VFR charts and navigating with them is awesome. I can report to a controller what VRP I am over and they can also tell me to direct a VRP and I can do it. I flew in the UK, Germany and Switzerland the other day on VATSIM and bought myself some VFR charts, that was pretty fun.

Flying under IFR with no GPS nor AP in the Cessna 152 is pretty fun, I’ve shot precision and non-precision approaches with it, done ODPs, SIDs, STARs all in total IMC in some cases. Many aircraft in MSFS use a G1000 and the Working Title G1000 NXi is pretty VATSIM ready if you prefer to fly magenta lines and not the old school CDI and DME way flying VOR radials to navigate airways.

For the most part what decides what sim I am going to fire up and hop on VATSIM is what exactly I want to do, if I want to fly a Cessna 150 for example I hop in XP, if I want to fly a Piper Comanche I hop in P3D, if I want to fly a very long cross country (done under VFR) I hop in the 152 mod for MSFS.

Since I’m not experiencing significant problems when flying IFR, is it possible that some of you are actually talking about ATC and not IFR itself?

2 Likes

I can understand how frustrating CTDs are. For me MSFS also ‘simply works’. I hope that for those that it doesn’t, this will resolve. :thinking:

Just ignore him. He’s one of those Xplane fanboys that loves every opportunity to criticize the new sim. Sure, Msfs2020 has tons of stuff to fix, but we know that, as you pointed out. It’s a new sim and many things are yet largely under construction.

3 Likes

Yes. It ‘Simply worked’ for me too since it was released until now. :grinning:

We’ve recently come out of a batch of threads regarding DCS world , it’s now time for the X Plane batch of threads to re- arise again .

Sigh :roll_eyes:.

2 Likes

Mind expanding on this? Honestly with thousands upon thousands of hours in MSFS, XP and P3D I can fly under IFR in MSFS pretty much the same way I do in P3D and XP of which I have a massive load of addons. Again, I use an online solution for my ATC and when it comes to what I fly it’s light general aviation aircraft. I really don’t have much difficulties flying under IFR in MSFS.

4 Likes

This is fine (try SimHeaven which is a decent free upgrade to X-Plane 11 scenery). Many people do this, especially in IFR jets because MSFS just isn’t there yet.

If you are getting freezes rather than CTD, e.g. the computer is locking up, you might want to check your hardware. MSFS does royally flog PCs harder than almost anything else out there, and it can reveal weaknesses or faults that nothing else does. It’s a very good soak tester :slight_smile:

Run a temperature checker with MSFS, run a RAM tester and a GPU tester for your card, check everything is well seated, the fans are clear and that sort of thing.

For example, I upgraded my video card, as many people do, and (like a complete nitwit) forgot about the PSU. Bigger GFX cards draw more power. Which was just about okay and didn’t cause a problem with anything else. Except MSFS, where it sporadically rebooted (which like lock ups shouldn’t happen). Upgraded it to a more appropriate PSU, hasn’t happened since.

MSFS is highly prone to crashing to the desktop but it shouldn’t simply lock up. If it is something like this then it isn’t ever going to get any better.

People often (I do) use VFR for GA aircraft and IFR for jets as synonyms, rather than their actual meanings. (The group I’m in calls itself VFR though it’s really GA and there’s nothing stopping anyone flying IFR)

The Jet functionality and associated things (ILS, ATC) are improving but aren’t very good. If you use VATSIM or IVAO for online ATC (no idea about PilotEdge) then almost everyone flies jets.

This really doesn’t make sense. I’m not going to be flying some light piston under VFR when I see OVC and it’s pretty low.

How is an ILS and ATC a “Jet functionality”, again this doesn’t make sense. Yes, I agree the meta is tubeliners. I hear a lot of “
traffic is an A320neo” on VATSIM and I bet a majority of those are in MSFS flying the FBW A320neo mod, not the ToLiss A320neo for XP.

EDIT: Revised post.

1 Like

I fly the modded Caravan quite a lot, so would disagree with that statement.

Yeah, it’s a mystery to me what people consider to be IFR limitations in MSFS. I fly IFR in all 3 sims with no issues. In MSFS the big issue was when the altitude bug was happening, but that’s the only time. There is not really any difference in how ILS works between sims. It’s ILS. There isn’t much to it. You capture the localizer, then capture the slope.

2 Likes

That’s kind of the point. The provided planes aren’t really that great.

2 Likes

Which has pretty much been the case with all these sims, even in XP. In XP the LR 172 isn’t nearly as good as the Airfoillabs or SimCoders.

True, but that’s the whole point of modding. Making the average better.

It looks like for some people MSFS has become like a religious sect.

The topic is about the fact that Asobo bit a bigger lump than it can swallow and it is definitely the case. I have never been a fan of X-Plane, but I admit that it’s quite a stable platform built with a simmer and a user in mind. MSFS2020, on the other hand, has been just a planet simulator from its very beginning. And even then it has had broken features and bugs lying all around.

2 Likes

Meanwhile here I am able to fly ILS approaches even without using a DME, simply using VOR radials on my second CDI to know where I am on the approach. Really just waiting for A2A aircraft and a better weather engine would be nice.

1 Like

On a second thought: check your CMOS battery. Or simply change it as a precaution. An empty battery would explain it too and it will happen eventually.