Tip to prevent unintended cockpit zoom while turning instrument knobs

Hi folks,

Maybe a little tip, because I heard a lot of people complaining that when you use your mousewheel for turning cockpit instrument knobs, a lot of times you zoom in (or out) unintended and mesh up your view and need to find the knob again.

What I did was modifying the mouse profile (see image). So in case you do want to zoom in or out the cockpit camera you need to press the mousewheel in, while you scroll up or down. With that set, you now can turn your instrument knobs much better and even scroll inside the G3000 flightplan of the TBM930, without zooming in and out the cockpit view.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
p.s I donā€™t know if this is the right place in the forum, and if someone else already posted this tip.

54 Likes

Useful tip, thanks for sharing.

Why not do the same for the External View also so that you use the same action for all zooming ?

Hmmm. Think Iā€™ll give that a shot.

Good idea, but how do you make the key combination?

I am not sure which key combination you mean?

In settings select the mouse.
Find the zoom actions. You may have to select ā€˜Allā€™.
At the ā€˜Zoom outā€™ action (may not be the exact name). Clear the existing assignment. Then select the scan field and press the centre button and while it is pressed also move the scroll wheel in the desired direction. Release the button press and check thet the new assignment is what you want. Repeat for each zoom you want to change. Make sure you do a Save. Exit from controls, start a flight and TEST it.

2 Likes

Good tip! That zooming in/out while rotating buttons was also an irritation for me.

Tip implemented and working.

Thanks!!

Great Tipp thanks!

Realy nice tip, that has been bugging me for ages

1 Like

dude haha thanks for the tip, super helpful

DOH ! So simple. Thank you for that. Just what I was looking for.

Simple but genius
This has been a real pain in the butt for me since day one

If you have side buttons on your mouse, possibilities are (almost) limitless :wink:
I have 4ā€¦ two of those are for zooming.

Thanks so much for this great tip!

Thanks a lot for this tip!
Itā€™s been bothering me quite much, since headtracking occasionally shifts my view while trying to turn knobs and I end up burying my face in the cockpit instruments :smiley:

Exellent Tip,thank you

Great Tip, I will try it outā€¦butā€¦there is always a but :crazy_face:

Did someone get set this function in combinition with the right mouse key instead?
Feels a bit ā€œhardā€ to me to down press the mouse wheel and scrolling in/out at the same time.

My wish, so far would be like following:

1. press RH mouse key - and hold (to unlock the view into free mode) and look around in the cockpit
  2. release the RH mouse key to go back into fixed mode
  3. zooming in/out by using the mouse wheel (depressing the RH mouse key, of course)

From my perspective, or how I use the ā€œlook aroundā€ function is more or less like: Go in the area of interest and zoom in/out by the mouse wheel.

If I could set my mouse to the above mentioned setting, an unintended zooming isnĀ“t possible anymore, while turning the knobs in the cockpit, because zooming needs to have the RH mouse key depressed.

1. press RH mouse key - and hold (to unlock the view into free mode) and look around in the cockpit
  2. release the RH mouse key to go back into foxed mode
  3. zooming in/out by using the mouse wheel (depressing the RH mouse key, of course)

From my perspective, or how I use the look around function is more or less like: Go in the aera of interest and zoom in/out by the mouse wheel.

If I could set my mouse to the above mentioned setting an unintended zooming isnĀ“t possible anymore, while turning the knobs in the cockpit.

1 Like

Yes, you can also assign zooming to RH mouse key in combination with mousewheel

I would like to do that . But scan does not detect the mouse wheel.