TnT Quest 2 Settings - Sharp and SMOOOOTH!

which Resolution Was your rendering in 60 percent?

Thats is the Info what you need. the Resolution min 1700x1700 or more.

It was x2096. Actually I left Oculus by default, so x1. 0
Then I put 1.9SS and in game I put 60%.
It was clear but blurry (makes sense as you said, applying a 60% setting does obviously that) but then the 1.9SS just helped with clarity, but there was still a lot of aliasing (can be easily seen on the red digits in the Cessna cockpit for example).
Also I’m using the v27 beta for Oculus software since the v26 creates crazy flickering so I’m stuck at 72Hz until an update is released. So I’m only looking for 36 constant FPS, not even 40.
I’m sure I can find a setting between yours and mine where FPS sometimes drop to 29-30. I’m not that far from having a ok framerate even above big cities but I’m not there yet.
And testing takes so much time, I feel like I’m spending more time trying things than actually enjoying a flight.

Wow! Thank you! I’ve tried your settings and it’s really sharp and smooth!

But, MSFS started crashing after 3-5 min with no error message… I tried to roll back to my previous config, but it was still crashing. So I went to steam and initiated Files Checks, and guess what? Right, steam has just removed all game files from my SSD :smiley:
Now I’m downloading all 156Gb again…Crazy!
Be careful with the Steam and the fancy feature of checking game files.

Oh MAN I feel you pain!! This happened to me right before World Update 3! Lesson learnt, eh…

@TonyTazer1504, please would you be able to update your OP with your latest settings?

It seems to me that there’s been a recent influx of people joining the VR FS2020 world… I wonder if it’s because of the recent batch of new aircraft releases and the prolific YouTube VR pilots, that more folks want in on the action!

Anyway, I think your latest version of settings (1.9 SS) are the best yet. Do you remember ages ago I said your first version was good for smoothness but I’d spoiled it for myself because I’d seen what full resolution looked like by comparison? Well 1.9ss solves all that for me. So much clearer.

Anyway, if you have the opportunity (I appreciate it takes time to edit ) please could you tweak the post to match your latest findings? I’m directing people to this thread for Quest 2 setups, and I think it’ll really help people fall in love with VR and stop the “but it’s toooo bluuurryy” concerns like I had.

P.S. I hope you don’t mind me tagging you when I share the link, but I feel I have to in order to give you the credit!

Cheers,
G

1 Like

So I did some more intensive tests and my results are that it doesn’t matter where I choose to SS (Oculus App, OTT or In Game), I always end up with the same quality and performances.

Using the 60% trick is deteriorating the quality way too much for a really small FPS gain. (aliasing everywhere, blurry scenery). OK I have 36FPS above London but it’s so blurry that I can’t see sh**.

x1.1 (4480*2256) in Oculus App and 100% in game is the best compromise for me, I only have FPS drops (29-31) above big cities (London) but anywhere else, I have 36 solid FPS and small aliasing + clear scenery.

3936*1984 in Oculus App + 60% in game + SS1.9 is more blurry and have way more aliasing than the setting above, with less FPS.

5800x and 3090 RTX.

@Flobud this can’t be true. Please note that setting/changing SS works only while you’re in Oculus Home (VR) - ideally before launching FS.

It doesn’t change when you are in FS and just change it in ODT/OTT. You have to CTRL+TAB out and back into VR for it to take effect. If applied correctly and working I can ensure you there is neither aliasing nor blurry scenery. Cockpits are perfectly readable, red LCD digits in the Cessna super-clear.

Whatever it is: all you reported above indicates to me that it’s not working at 1.9. Please do me one favour: when in Oculus Home (I hope you have the default scenery), click in OTT in the SS drop-down and then use the UP and DOWN arrow keys to change SS. This way, you can watch the effect while you sharpen the image. At 1.9, the leaves on the trees outside the home should become very clear.

Last guess: maybe you are running FS on SteamVR-OpenXR and not Oculus-OpenXR?

@CroppingPoem113: yes, I indeed wanted to update my guide to 1.9 SS (leaving everything else unchanged), but I’ve been a bit hesitant to do so, because I still felt I need to test it more thoroughly (more planes, more weather and scenery scenarios) to confirm it’s safe enough.

I feel the 1.6 setting (while by far not being as sharp and clear as 1.9) is in my eyes still a “safe smoothness harbor” for probably most of the medium to high PCs. It’s a very reliable and smooth setting, also solid enough not to be challenged by any weather, scenery or aircraft that easily.

Now, currently I really enjoy running at 1.9 and 60%, but I have to admit I’ve spent all my recent time in just 3 planes: Spitfire, MB339 and F-15 - and mostly in nice weather (having enough of ugly weather in Germany atm). All of them more-or-less analogue or very simple EFIS (F-15).

Question back to you: do you feel the 1.9 should be robust enough to be recommended in my baseline settings? Or should I rather include it as a recommendation in the “WHAT IF I CAN AFFORD MORE?” section?

And by the way, many thanks and abolutely no issues with tagging me or this post! This post is of course meant as a help and for open exchange from the very beginning and I’m just thankful that you agree to it and spread it!

Ive never been able to get SS to work reliably or on demand either so I stick with highest slider on the Oculus Device for 1.6 @ 80hz 5408 x 2736 and 60% in game which gives me locked 40FPS. I am keen to try and get SS working. Something I’ve dismissed in your earlier advice but I want to try now… I’ve been using Oculus for around 3 years now, what trees are you referring to? Is it Steam home? Here is a picture of my Oculus home.

@Player744061147 I’m referring to the Oculus Home I see in my Quest 2 in VR after connecting to PC via Link. It’s a very similar evironment to the SteamVR home or WMR home, just the Oculus version of it. What do you see in your headset when switched on and connected to PC, but no VR application running? Maybe you’re not on a Quest and maybe then on a Rift it’s different?

Anyways and with regards to your resolution setting please note that as per my post 128 above, setting a higher resolution in the Oculus PC client forces the applications (like Flight Simulator) to deliver this resolution. That puts higher efforts on FlightSim while the ODT / OTT Super-Sampling is applied afterwards by the Oculus runtime - without the high burden on FlightSim.

As per all my testings and I’ve been really thoroughly trying the Oculus app resolution path, the final resolution and image fidelity is very similar yet the ODT / OTT super-sampling is way faster FPS-wise.

I see what I posted above. I am on Oculus Quest 2 over link (or VD but prefer link)

When I used to have a rift I had a home in the Ocukus Dash but that’s no longer working. I do have a home when just using OQ2 but then I can’t reach that once link is enabled.

Strange how similar systems differ?

1 Like

Yes this is really strange. Your screenshot is what I also see on my PC monitor, but in the Quest as soon as I activate the Link I’m to another “Oculus virtual home” environment in VR, which you can also completely customize with furtinure, decoration, etc… really strange it’s not showing for you. So if you connect via Link and put on your VR headset, do you see a “copy” of the PC app in front of you or is the headset just black?

Just a copy of the PC App. Its been like this from day 1 - I was a pre-order. Plus I ahve been through at least 3 complete re-installs of the Oculus App

Do you mean what you see in VR is an exact copy of 2d screen? Would you push a button with oculus logo on your right hand controller? If you can see a console array like thing, push oculus home button.

I see the PC App in VR I just dont have a home let alone a home with trees :slight_smile:

Home is exactly something like real home with many items including furnitures, decorations, etc… like this google image…

1 Like

wow I have nothing like that :frowning: Going to re-instal oculus desktop again

For what it’s worth, I get this when first activate Link from within the Quest 2:

I’ve always had the grey background, i think because i never chose a particular home “scene”? But I’m also led to believe that I get marginally better performance this way, a bit like selecting “oculus homeless” from OTT? No idea though…

I then select the desktop from the toolbar at the bottom and it changes to this (ignore the settings visible, I was testing):

1 Like

You get what I get which is different from @Woodier72 and @TonyTazer1504

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a problem though… right?