TnT Quest 2 Settings - Sharp and SMOOOOTH!

I just tried the spitfire round the mach loop with broken clouds (thought better turn off the live weather for consistency between tests :nerd_face: ) and again found the same performance at 1.6 60% and 1.0 100% (of course much higher frame rates than the TBP Toronto landing challenge - about 45 on the ground and 36 in the air). In the spitfire I do definitely note a sharper image on the instruments using the 1.6 60%, So I am seeing the sharpness improvement but not the FPS uplift you describe. However sharper image for same FPS is still good so I will keep these settings :slight_smile:

I wonder if the FPS difference is due to our CPUs and your AMD utilising the cores/threads differently. For me I find FS maxes out just one of the 20 threads with the others only partly utilised. Also it looks like the oculus tool runs on a different thread, so maybe this method splits the workload better by doing the supersampling on a different core/thread and saving resources on the FS thread (I have no clue how these things work so this is pure speculation !)

@RebuffedBee9595 Hmm, i just checked again your specs in your post above and noticed that you’re running on Oculus v27 Beta. I have been using this version after the flashes started in v26, but this was cured and I’ve moved back to v26 (switched Beta off and it reverts automatically by 2 updates) and it’s really running awesome now.
I did so primarily, because v27 beta locks the refresh rate at 72hz, causing FS to run mostly at 36fps. With v26, 80hz work and FS tries again to settle around half the refresh rate: 40fps - successfully! Maybe that’s it? Give it a try, it’s easy to go back to v27 beta if you have to, but I don’t think you will.

Otherwise I would be really surprised about your rig running slower. The higher single core speed of your Intel should normally beat my Ryzen in FS hands down. Abd on top you have the 3090, so it’s definitely a better PC for FS.

Btw, also my Ryzen is primarily used on the 1st core at close to 100%. the second core at 50% and the 12th at about 30% if I remember correctly. All the other cores between 0% and not even 10%, so I guess a similar story…

I was unable to get the headset to revert back to v26 only the software

this is correct, only the software.

1 Like

Ok… I finally gave your settings a go. After having months of issues i finally go something that worked pretty well, but your post kept itching at me to have a go.

As instructed, I ran through your setup. The only key difference is im on a 3070 and the using the drivers that came out on the the 30th for Nvidia. Even though you say turn HAGS off, i believe i have to have on due to the current driver issues.

So First impressions: I definitely got an FPS bump of about 5FPS. that’s huge from where is was sitting. so for example : YSSY 18FPS - 25 FPS, small regional airports from 31 to 36.

But thats where the fun stops for me and the issues started arising:

• If i take my headset off and then put back on - i have about an 80% chance that the Quest 2 link will crash and kick me back to the quest menu and not the oculus home menu on PC.
  • My USB 3.0 connection will fail, likes its been overloaded.
  • I cannot switch from 3d to 2d and back like i used to be able to. That simply just creates no end of dramas like frame loss for extended period of time or the game coming to a grinding holt because oculus home can’t handle that i have gone back to home screen and stutters worse than usual.

I really feel you are on to something here and I’m encouraged by your effort. Please keep your insights updated @TonyTazer1504

Hardware:
10700k - Stock
32GB Ram
RTX 3070 - Stock
Oculus Quest 2 (Quest is on v27, Oculus Home on Beta v27)
OTT: 0.87.x

1 Like

Feeling your pain, I can not achieve the same results as Tony and its driving me crazy. I’m about to order the G2 just to see if its less work,

@MEWSIK many thanks for your feedback. I know the pain of FS becoming unstable if switching between VR and 2D and personally, I just try to avoid that - simply because I believe it’s “by design” right now…

The only hint I can offer is to try running Oculus client on PC in “Homeless” mode. You can set it up in OTT and it saves a lot of VRAM. You will just lose the virtual home and only see the Oculus menus and a plain background. That helped me definitely with stability when switching back and forth between VR and 2D.

Other than that I have to say I’m a bit discouraged these days by how inconsistent FS runs, without changing anything, same scenario, same aircraft, same weather, same place, same time, same route. It feels like it almost has bad days and good days, sometimes even perfect days, but this inconsistency is driving me mad. This is also the main reason why I didn’t touch the guide for a while. Yes, I still try a lot and make my findings, but things working great today turn sometimes up as not really helpful tomorrow. Very difficult to find and validate true patterns and improvement gains when FS runs so fragile, putting a big question mark behind every finding you make: will it behave the same when I launch it tomorrow?

I’m currently primarily still on the random micro-stutters and exploring the advantages of fixed clock speeds on CPU and GPU. Again too early to confirm, but initial experience is pretty promising…

2 Likes

I know this feeling:

2 Likes

How do I get back into my Graphic Preferences again to change things. Also my Oculous Tray looks different from yours. I just got this thing and having a heck of time getting things set up.

I have dialed down the settings that you have put forward to make the sim playable again. it has been a continued slippery slope from months ago.

I have taken your advice on the homeless mode, and that has helped a bit. thank you for the tip.

1 Like

If you mean graphical setting in oculus app click on quest 2 in the app while connected and you get a pop up box on the left, scroll down anc you can click on graphical preferences to set refresh and resolution.

Whenever I download OTT from the internet it’s always an older version, you should get an option to update which should give you the additional settings, you’ll know if it’s up to date as you get additional asw settings.

1 Like

I have to retract about my last post saying that HAGS ON causes jelly image and distortion, I think that the combination of ASW = Off and GPU Scaling = ON were the solution for me, the image now is very stable and now I have to work to improve smoothness, will try with SS on 1.9 and Render scalling on 60%. Thank you for your findings!!!

@TonyTazer1504 The update appears to have some improvements with oculus V28. @Tony, interested in your thoughts based on your current post as to adjustments post V28 and MSFS update.

@MEWSIK I didn’t notice a real improvement with v28, surely not worse, but I don’t think also any better…

Let’s see how the v28 headset runtime will work though (announced, but not published yet), then also willing to check out Air Link - especially as to how it will perform versus Virtual Desktop as I’m personally a fan of VD.

Hi! Can you please give me any suggestions on airlink settings? Trying to replicate your settings 1:1, but still have a ton of microstutters. My machine is i9 9900K/32GB/3090, so it must run fine. I am trying for days in that point, it drives me insane.

Have you tried with link cable to eliminate any network/wifi issues? I have similar machine and it ran really well just at default settings, have since tweaked for further resolution/performance

Agreed I have got it running very nicely and I believe it helps to fix min+max CPU clock speed in power settings (in my case 5ghz on a 10850k) and also recently by undervolting my GPU slightly to ensure it stays at constant clock and doen’t reach power, thermal or voltage limit (in my case 1900mhz on a 3090)

Nope, i waiting for my cable to arrive now. In meantime, i try to setup airlink, with no decent result so far. Many people reported that airlink work for them better than cable, but this is not my case, unfortunately.

I have been trying out this guide on my 5800XT, with 3900X Ryzen. And in general it works, except that my eyes just won’t accept anything less than a FOV of 95%. Have to put SS to 1.5 or even 1.4 and its still not smooth because I can’t really take advantage of the FOV cut. Putting it to 0.80 FoV really makes a huge difference in computing power.

So, I figured, what happens when I put in the glasses spacer? And voila: 2 x 0.8 is now perfect - it even centers my eyes a bit better over the lenses now for a sharper picture. I don’t wear glasses, but this is just perfect now. A little less FoV ofcourse but since the screen stays ‘round’ its easy getting used to. SS on 1.6 now and for the rest the same settings as in your guide. Great stuff.

3 Likes

Tony.

I Have used your setting for a few months now. Have you investigate how these setting works with Ocolus airlink. Did You do any change to your setup with Ocolus airlink and v. 28.

And do You know if OTT and Ocolus Debug tool works the same way with Ocolus airlink.