TnT Quest 2 Settings - Sharp and SMOOOOTH!

Guys I just tested it and can confirm my Quest2 also runs like S’%& as of today, after the update! I also now get these flashes every few seconds and fps-drops I didn’t have before - even freezes up to half a second! It’s so frustrating after I just felt having it finally right for more than a week.

Tried Oculus Beta Off and On, both “broken”. Just really badly disappointing Oculus.

Should you guys figure out a way out of this new mess, please let us now here!

@CroppingPoem113 one last idea with regards to blurriness. You probably know it, but just in case: changing super-sampling in Tray Tool is quite tricky. It doesn’t always work and often reverts to default.
To make sure you get 1.6, you have to do it while in Oculus Home. You can even click into the drop-down and then click through the ss-settings by pressing up or down arrows on keyboard. This way you see the difference and ensure you land at 1.6…
I just had the idea you may be still running on 1.3 or “default” even if OTT shows 1.6. This can easily happen…

1 Like

@TonyTazer1504 So, I’ve just finished a flying session. did two takeoffs from Bristol, then a whole bristol > heathrow flight.

So… You’re aware of the reports of white flashing happening since the Oculus update that landed last night?

Oh my… it’s SO BAD. Every second, or more, there is a white flash. It’s horrible. Tried unenrolling from the beta participation. Didn’t fix it for me, even after a couple of restarts of PC and headset.

now here is the kicker… for me, it is 100% linked to render scale. I started my first flight with your settings exactly. White flashes galore, it was awful.

Then, I change one setting: TAA to 100.

White flashes are gone.

Now I’m mid-flight, somewhere over Swindon enroute to London. I start switching between TAA 60 and TAA 100.

60 = white flashes.

100 = no white flashes.

So thats a thing… wasnt the case pre update last night when i was testing your settings.

Aside from that, I recorded my flight but might take me a while to upload. I checked the OTT settings and made the changes to 1.6 while i was in oculus home (i actually was viewing my desktop through the Quest 2 when i did it). When I Loaded up into your settings for my first flight of the day, my first thought was “oh come on, it’s actually fine” but then I flip on the battery and the G3000 is just too blurry for me. I can read it, but it’s very low rez and ends up making my head hurt. changing back to TAA 100, or even 80 to be honest, makes a huge difference.

I was very strict with myself during the flight and yes, at TAA 100 there is the odd moment when microstutters occur, but to me it is smooth enough to enable me to have the wonderful hi-def clouds, and super glossy EFIS screens. With my TBM flights I’m always monitoring ITT, NG and pressurisation so i need to see those numbers clearly.

Of course, London is still a no-go at TAA 100, so I will defo be sticking with your settings and just ■■■■■■■■ between 60 and 100 when I need to. (Haha! oh dear, the forum has censored f l i c k i n g !!)

It’s all a balancing act eh… personal preference and what you can live with vs what you cant. Hopefully with further optimisation in the future we can creep that TAA up more often!

Now excuse me, i need to go spend some time on the White Flashing thread sharing my findings… and I think we need to send some feedback to Oculus i guess!

Deselecting Beta Participation within the Oculus Desktop App and redownloading it as per @ExpiredSpy56910’s suggestion, seems that’s solving it for most people.

1 Like

Just re-confirming here as well that the following approach solved all these new, white flashes and stutters for me (started after yesterday’s Oculus update):

1. Deactivate Beta participation in the Oculus PC app settings, tab “Beta”
  2. Deinstall Oculus software from PC
  3. Download fresh from Oculus and install again

I checked it and it solved it all, had just a wonderful, smooth and flicker-free test flight in the MB339 over the alps, in love again!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

p.s.: still at renderscale 60% and all my settings as per above. I tried setting clouds and/or reflections to ULTRA, but naaaw fps loss not worth it and reverted both back to HIGH, I guess I just primarily need my 40 fps…

1 Like

there is only 1 tiny issue… when flying planes equipped with Garmin G1000 or similar systems, i get some white flashes very briefly. like 1 frame every 7-10 seconds. if i look out the side i dont see any of that. idk. if thats a general VR issue, or a oculus specific thing. other than that - im still blown away and pumping every free minute i have into flying.

@Bertoo13371 I had the same since yesterday’s Oculus update, but thanks to these forums I was able to kill these nasty, white flashes.

Have you seen my post above (opt-out from Beta, deinstall Oculus PC software, download and install a fresh version)? This should hopefully solve it for you, too. Crossing fingers!

1 Like

Great post! I was using VD all these days and gave another try with the link following all your instructions with the exact settings.
I have a 8700K @4.9, RTX3070 msi x gaming, 32gb 3200 ram, latest nvidia driver and I can definitelly tell everything is working smooth and quality is good!
An important thing I wasn’t followed before is that first , you have to power on the headset, open link and then re-save the Settings in OTT.
I can go back and fourth without seeing any impact.

1 Like

yeehaaw, great to hear it works for you as well and many thanks for confirming back! I really appreciate learning that it does work for many users and across many PC configs.

And yes, resaving settings in OTT is really important as it’s fragile. One time it loads them almost all (except for ASW, that always resets to “auto” even if showing “off” in OTT), another time only partially or not at all, so re-checking all of them just makes it safe.

This came so close :slight_smile: I tried this when you posted it and wow I had the smoothest VR flight I had ever had. But the image was too blurry for me, my tests Have been the opposite from what you’ve done, low native resolution but then in game 170-200 ss.

So I analysed what you had done and believe it’s main gains are 80hz and 2 frames pre-render. 72hz dropped to 36 is just too choppy, 90-45 is too much for the card but 80-40 seems the sweet spot. As for the 1 extra frame this fills gap nicely without over stressing the card. Anyway this then allowed me to run all your settings but removed the 1.6 SS in OTT and instead did 100ss in game. This was very very good and had me smiling for the first time in a long time in this game. I did not post back as I’ve learned over the years that with MMO style games that one day from the next stuff changes and only after repeated success will I call it done. Of course the Oculus update hit and it’s back to being just to jittery for me to enjoy it.

I’m back in Xplane now, it’s rock solid performance just about compensates for the less than perfect image quality. Most of my flying is training for my RL flight instruction so I spend less time looking at the scenery for its beauty and more time flying, checking landmarks, headings, drift etc etc and for me Xplane not glitching vs MSFS2020 glitching Xplane wins. I can’t wait for this sim to settle, stunning hardly describes it well enough when the sun is setting over a landscape you know it’s almost too good :slight_smile:

Thanks for the enlightenment.

1 Like

@Player744061147 many thanks for your feedback and great to hear you’ve took some useful findings. I really understand your frustration with FS (and Oculus) being atm so unreliable - same here.

I also had my hate moment after the last Oculus update, where suddenly these white flashes and stutters hit in. Having spent weeks in polishing the performance to a really satisfying state, I was just devastated. I even started looking for a 2nd hand G2. Luckily, the solution was found and posted here in the forums on the same day: opt-out from Oculus-beta, re-install Oculus software clean. That cured the mess again, but for how long?

Another, frustrating moment are the broken flaps for me now. Asobo have confirmed having made a mistake, resulting in a double-lift flaps and as a result, planes are floating on the final approach, very hard to bring them down. But instead of releasing a fairly easy hotfix, Asobo are suggesting to mess around with some variables in flight_model.cfg files OR BETTER to wait for the next sim update in March, where it will be fixed. WHAT???

EDIT: I have found a hotfix “mod” for the flaps problem on flightsim.to. Very easy, just copy into the community folder - done.

So yes, this sim in Oculus-VR can easily turn into a love/hate relationship as it’s so moody and fragile, but as you rightly say, it can be so beautiful and stunning. Feels a little-bit like a marriage with a spoiled, beautiful super-model diva… :laughing:

When it comes to alternatives, I’m sometimes getting tempted to check out Aerofly FS2. According to the FB feedback and videos it’s unbelievable smooth, even on lower-end PCs, still with very nice photogrammetry plug-ins like Switzerland, Hawaii, Southwest USA, etc… By far not the same beauty, but still nice looking and apparently, much more reliable.

1 Like

Hello,

I had now three days testing your Setup and i really really love your Setup. i have every flight no problems to fly in vr. before your Setup i had everyflight change my Setup with heavy Problems. now i can fly without Problems. So so much thx for your share

1 Like

The fact they decided to not hotfix killed me too…

My advice : test Aerofly FS2, you can always refund it on Steam before 2 hours. It was already stunning on my previous machine with Oculus Rift CV1, i7 3770K, 16GB and GTX1080, 90fps in VR with Ultra settings and SuperSampling (in game setting) at 150%. You have a good numbers of planes, glidders, Helicopters (great). You don’t have the whole earth obviously but some free official addons (and some payware) or not officials can complete that. It’s a plug and play Sim, I mean it load really fast, menu are really simple, recognized my Hotas immediately so I didn’t have to assign any button (T16000M and TWCS with pedals), and you’re on the tarmac after few seconds. Flying big cities or waving around monument valley smoothly is priceless. I’ll add it’s more for VFR flights IMHO (E.g. no atc and you’re alone).

4 Likes

Tested your setup. The smothes I’ve ever had it. Similar PC with an RTX 3080 and a Ryzen 7 5800x. In rural areas like Grand Canyon I was even able to to set the renderresolution in-game to 90 and still had a smooth flight. Played a little with the ingame graphic settings. Clouds to low, ambient occlusion to low etc. I like to have a higher renderresolution than shadows, because the sharpness of the Glass Cockpits improves heavily the higher the renderresolution. I do the quest setup in the Debug tool, it’s more reliable than the OTT, especialy for the asw.

2 Likes

Thanks for your settings, I’ll stick to it for a while. I used to run:
Oculus - 1.0
OTT - 1.7
TAA 70%

It’s a little slower on my old settings with the EFIS similarly sharp (or blur). I am running a slower 2700X + 1080Ti PC, so I need to tune down some other graphical settings.

1 Like

I have to thank you as your suggestions seem to also work - and work well - on my Oculus Rift CV1. Very smooth at around 30FPS on a GTX 1080ti Extreme 11GB, with High/Ultra settings in game. I did make one additional change, and that was to opt out of VR layering in the RIFT settings. That seemed to sharpen the image at the same time as lowering overhead, for some reason.

1 Like

@AmiableGalaxy9 many thanks for the confirming feedback! I’m very glad it helps on a CV1 and 1080Ti in a similar way. The config actually proves to serve as a broadly applicable solution as I got kudos coming from a wide range of PCs - and even various headsets. Couldn’t be more happy - yeehaaaw!

I had to switch the beta off and then uninstall the oculus program and then re-install it again. That cured the flashes.

1 Like

I tried your setting on my 10900K PC with 3080 Card. Works fine. Thanks

1 Like

Hi TonyTazer thanks for this detailed post. I am looking to buy a PC and a headset for VR and trying to decide which headset to buy and how powerful (/expensive!) a PC I need to buy

I wondered if you could comment on how sharp the cockpit instruments are and how big the sweet spot is with your Q2 settings, compared to CptLucky’s detailed description of the Index and G2 in this post in another thread? Thanks a lot!

@RebuffedBee9595 many thanks for considering my opinion for your choice, which is indeed not an easy one. When it comes to the PC requirements I consider my personal PC config as well-balanced and sufficient to run MSFS in satisfying quality while already being rather costly. Please just be prepared that a PC running MSFS in ultra settings and full native VR-rendered resolution doesn’t exist, yet. You’ll always have to go for a compromise in VR, such as the one proposed in my guide above.

However, even if it’s not perfect yet it’s really worth it. The immersion of actually sitting in the cockpit and flying is not only a breath-taking experience by itself. Due to the full perception of space and movement in space, you actually feel much better how your airplane behaves in space, where it is and where it points towards. Landings feel suddenly much more natural and really easy-going. Once you try VR you’ll never come back to 2D, I’m sure.

Moving on to your headset choice and specifically the point around sharpness and the sweet spot. Unfortunately I don’t have a G2 to compare (yet :wink:), but according to many reviews and videos I read and watched the G2 features fantastic, crystal-clear and high-contrast displays, which seem to render the best VR image out there - by far.

Admittedly, both G2’s FOV and specifically its sweet spot seem to be reported as smaller compared to Quest 2. I’m referring here specifically to observations made by users having both the G2 and Q2. I read carefully through @CptLucky8 's sweet spot review and based on both descriptions, I would assess Quest 2 as somewhere between the G2 and Index, but leaning rather a bit towards Index. On Quest 2 and in my case (please bear in mind this is a pretty individual matter), I consider approx. 50-60% of the visible field of view around the center as consistently sharp. Blurriness thereby starts outside of the usual room where we move focus by small eye movements. Summed up, I’m really happy with it. What is comparable to G2 and likely also many other headsets that (when putting on the headset) you have to fit both lenses very accurately to the perfect visual point in order to get this broad sweet spot. All 3 dimensions - including the eye distance to the lenses - really matter here.

Finally, around the sharpness of my settings, I have run a visual test with one of my favorite planes, the TBM930 and its Garmin cockpit. In the screenshot below, I have marked exemplary numbers and labels with little dots, describing as how sharp I perceive them from normal seating position (not leaning in):

• green dot: absolutely clear
  • amber dot: still readable, but focusing/reading feels exhausting, tempted to lean in
  • red dot: not readable

I hope it helps and all the best on your upcoming VR adventures. It’s quite a bit to learn and some stress to get everything running first, but once done you’ll just love it!

1 Like