To Beaver or not to Beaver... that is the question

1. Modern tourist-y version - modern fuselage, passenger seats, 3 blade prop w/ nose cone, no STOL kit. This could be on amphib floats, for sure.

2. Old ‘Retro’ version - original fuselage, cargo space, 2 blade prop, definitely no STOL kit, regular wheels/skis

Different product.

1. Turbo-Beaver - modern fuselage, passenger seats, with STOL kit. Could be on regular wheels or tundra tires and on amphibious floats.
9 Likes

Sorry - The Beaver developers of course.

Dimus, one of our testers and also one of our scenery devs… has taken some pics of the Beaver in sim… Wanna see?

6 Likes

Nah, we can wait…

NOT! GIMME!

1 Like

Aww, no old retro version on amphib floats?

Choices have to be made. Unfortunately, while we would love to make an interactive EFB that would allow for all these types, doing so would be prohibitively difficult to do.

I’ll post them up shortly.

Why does it have to be done via an EFB? You can just have different models selectable from the plane selection screen for floats or not. Like for example the flying iron spifire comes with standard and clipped wings as two separate models you can pick from. Or the Cri-Cri which has wheeled, floats and micro jet as three separate models. No need for on the fly in game changes via an EFB or whatever.

WIP shots taken today during testing. Yes, it is a wheeled version but amphibian is upcoming too.

29 Likes

You’d have to have 10 or more versions of the aircraft. Too much to handle… so no.

Think about it: one with floats/2 bladed/no hub, another one with floats, 3 bladed/hub, another with blah blah blah … the list is too long.

3 Likes

Exactly. To me the EFB is fluff that complicates the plane and probably makes it heavier sim wise, not to mention all the debugging you have to do to make it work. Ick. I absolutely prefer different models, just like would be in my hangar. I’m not too far from being so old EFB’s will just confuse me even more.

1 Like

Or just limit it to modern with wheels or floats and retro with wheels or floats, only four different things to select from on the main screen, I don’t think that’s too much but that might just be me I guess.

Things like blades and hubs could be done with some checklists on a simple tablet like in various carenado planes (or make it look like a notepad or something to make it fit in with the retro style theme)

2 Likes

I see 6:

New (3-blade) with wheels, amphib, skis (only because you said it was a piece of cake, I’m more interested in amphib, but I know others like skis)

Retro (2-blade) with wheels, amphib, skis.

If you want to sell that as two versions, I’m down with it. If you want to dump the skis, I’m down with that and cut it to 4 models. You could also cut it to 4 models if the skis could be “turned on” on the wheeled version (only complexity needed, I don’t need to turn the hub on and off, eh… fluff).

You could also split it by wheels/skis (new and old) and amphib (new and old) products. I’d go for the amphib if I had to choose one.

If it’s two products, give a break on the second purchase, 30% to 50% off the second purchase. That could move some product (people love to spend more money as if they’re saving money, :slight_smile: )

Oh yeah completely forgot about skis, that would bump it up more, 6 might be too much yeah. Well I’ll still probably buy this even if the floats option was limited to just the ‘modern’ model, doesn’t bother me too much. Looking forward to the release!

Yeah, I’m just a fan of dirty retro styling. But that’s me.

2 Likes

We can, and likely will, do that on our store. However, we cannot do that on the marketplace.

We’re, at this time, planning on only those variants as posted above. We will look at how we can enhance the type variations but… for now… not on the table.

4 Likes

I’m a “your store” guy all the way. I only Marketplace if I have to.

Personally, a lot of variations aren’t all that interesting. I usually choose one and fly that. The only thing I would use (I’m not a ski guy really), would be if the seats could be taken out for cargo as an optional change on any given model. I would go back and forth between an amphib with seats or cargo.

To me, the amphib is what makes the Beaver a Beaver. The ability to go anywhere, just like a Beaver.

Let’s not forget that a Beaver itself is amphibious by nature!!!
:wink:

(EDIT: Can you tell which version I prefer :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

When it comes to “functionality” (systems) and flight model, will it be as good or better than the p3d version?

p3d version: DHC-2 Beaver (milviz.com)

Why would you assume otherwise?

8 Likes

Based on my experience with milviz corsair, the beaver will be an hour 1 purchase. Keep up the good work (and high fidelity)!

Only 3 developers on my list of hour 1 purchase: milviz, just flight, pmdg

7 Likes

Count me in day 1 for the Beaver. It’s awesome to know that it’s coming to MSFS!
I’m all for buying it on your own store too - I avoid entirely the marketplace due to how things there won’t transfer if I one day do the switch from the gamepass version to the Steam version for example (Carenado have lost a customer because of that since they only sell via the marketplace)

1 Like