Today 1.17 Gb update...my (bad) experience

Ok, well the post from the forum moderator explains what happened.

I’m not getting anything for an update when I go to the store. I already got the update 8 days ago.

If you received the update 8 days ago (6 of January), then you are already on the current version.

But the sim won’t open now saying I need to get the mandatory update.

Ok…but my question is:
Why my msfs installation is damaged ?
Why about 200 Gb (Community and other msfs folders) disappeared from my hd ?
Is a chance to restore this situation ?

If you had the beta installed to the default location, there have been reports where users had to download the entire install after exiting the beta.

There was a notice placed here about this:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/pre-release-testing-su7-update-public-flight/479364

What I do is always check to see where it is installing to (even when not installed to default) as at times, it wants to go there.

Unfortunately, it does not backup the Community folder. I would suggest in the future to change the default location and keep a backup of your Community folder.

@AssuringZoo793, if you have the MS Store and launching MSFS throws you to the MS Store, assure Windows is up-to-date as well as the MS Store app. Restart your PC. This what I had to do as my install kept throwing me back to the Store.

1 Like

My sim is in a custom path… This is making no since. I’ll try your suggestion at the bottom.

But my question is:
In the year 2022 is it so difficult to ask for confirmation before erasing 200 Gb of data from the disk?

Thank you

4 Likes

There is a wishlist on this:

1 Like

Same with me compleate reinstall after beta … was already on newest SW … it deleted my whole install

It does seem to me that this whole Beta process is flawed. I do not participate personally.
My main reason is not that I dont want to assist, but it seems to me that every time the Beta comes to an end and the actual UPDATE is released, many Beta participants either lose the entire setup or have big issues.
This isnt acceptable. Beta participants perform a useful function. This Beta process just isnt
right. This just isnt any way to treat Beta users. Seems to me that either the instructions are far from clear or the whole process is flawed.

7 Likes

Condolences to all of the willing Beta testers who’s builds were ruined from these flaws.:disappointed_relieved:

I wish they would always give us a head start on this topics when starting the simulation. Some window popping up right at the start, properly informing the user (of a group if several) why something happens and why. Same procedure if any technical issues are detected or if widespread flaws are making waves. Just an Infoboard, kind of news ticker that avoid this endless searches in the forum… :blue_heart:

4 Likes

I had the same thing happen last Friday after opting out of the beta, I was on the default install path so I chalked it up to that being the issue. Had to do a complete re-install, this time on a custom install path.

I also had the MS Store pop up, you will also notice that your MSFS Icon in the task bar is gone and that the EXE file does not work any longer.

I can’t believe how terrible this is. You think they would make this so clear. Everything is completely gone now. A year of customizing my sim and everything is gone

Indeed…thats true

But now the question is:
How to restart tomorrow with reinstallation ?
From Ms Store ?
From Xbox app
From where ?

Thank you

And surely this makes even less sense. I can understand that participants who have the Sim installed in a custom location might have issues. At some level I could understand that.
But any Beta process should be able to cope with a SIM being ‘properly’ installed. Meaning default location instead of punishing the Beta participant. Beta users should be able to download a seperate update once the Beta comes to an end that ‘rearranges’ their setup taking account of any Beta software and turns all again into a normal setup. I could understand though that under those circumstances installation into the default location would be required. But as things stand this is not fair to Beta participants. Too complicated by far. Un-necessarily so I think.

1 Like

If you don’t already have the Xbox Companion App on your PC, get that, then try updating via the Store again.

1 Like

Ouch. This happened to me after a previous beta and was the single reason I didn’t enroll this time (and I’m a vr user).

1 Like