Toolbar Missing and ability to change certain weather settings missing when loading a saved flight

Is this reproducible for you? A while back, I tried to reproduce this and couldn’t when users started to post about it. However, I don’t have any saved flights. Does it only do this when there’s a user saved flight?

There’s another “bug” related to these auto saved flights that I also can’t reproduce. It’s effecting some users since first install.

1 Like

Hi

Ticket is created: 86584

Regards

Pascal

2 Likes

I found a fix. seems the weather is only bugged if you have live players on. switch to all. or group and it works. not a real fix but it works until they patch it

1 Like

Hi @THECAPTAINHOWDY,
Make sure you report this find to zendesk. If something can be reproduced, it’s easier for them to duplicate and correct.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I have this 100% of the times I tried this, but given the low interest in this issue: is nobody loading saved flights OR is it an issue that only affects some?

I try to save when I’ve landed somewhere that’s not an airport, and I just want to continue later in exactly the same state, but as if the aircraft had been sitting there for a day or whatever.

I will try that trick with the auto-save files mentioned here, maybe that solves it.

Already logged this to zendesk.

3 Likes

I tried this with the default C152 and no add-ons in community folder, starting cold and dark and parked. Then saved, then loaded. Also did another try where I started up and taxi’d a bit first.

I could still see the toolbar after loading, the state of the aircraft seemed correct. The weather is disabled though!

So maybe it happens with add-on aircraft, OR maybe it happens when I land in a field somewhere or have flown somewhere. Still need to test that.

1 Like

Did some tests with saving behavior, and indeed if you save a flight AFTER the flight has ended (so the logbook popped up), loading the flight again results in a missing toolbar.

What I haven’t tried yet: do the exact same flight, save it BEFORE the end-flight screen and load that one, to ensure that the toolbar is still there. I did test with incompleted flights on the same airfield and landing somewhere in a field. In no cases was I missing the toolbar.

If this retains the toolbar, hopefully we can compare the saved files and fix it manually before loading?

The weather is still annoying, I need to test by starting with a weather pre-set, changing to live weather and then saving. Or changing to a pre-set before saving …

In all tests, I always completely restart MSFS to avoid the “second flight” issues. I load the flights from the World Map.

Incidentally, in my tests I noticed different behaviours of the saved flight for things like state of flaps, lights, … I didn’t even think to try what happens if you save / load a flight where you are not parked on the ground.

1 Like

Hi @Monkfishman3086!
Although I’m replying to your post, this is for everyone else too.

Can anyone confirm that is is what is happening to you as well or if it’s reproducible? Please reply my post or topic, I’ve put a watch on it.

Thank you!

Hello, this conclusion wasn’t right. I am now missing the toolbar but no end-of-flight pop-up appeared. In fact I never even left the airfield, just taxi’d around a bit.

I did this test before, first on EBOS and now on EBZH. The main difference to my two tests was that in the first test the engine was cold and dark and the second test I started on the runway with a running engine.

I’m keeping logs of my tests, I will post them later. I made a mistake of not storing each saved flight’s files, so I’ll start doing that in further testing.

1 Like

As a follow up: just did two test. One with a flight started cold and dark, taxi around a bit, then save. The toolbar still worked, lights were fine, location fine, …

Did a second test, but started on the runway with the engine running. Taxi around a bit, save. The toolbar did not work.

In all cases, weather is disabled, probably because I use live weather. Hopefully this can be worked around by starting the flight with a pre-set, then switching via the toolbar (if it’s there) to live weather.

For my next test, I’ll do a cold and dark start, but fly somewhere, land, park, let the flight log end the flight, click continue then save the flight …

Note: I’m doing my tests with the C152 and no add-ons installed.

2 Likes

A flight with cold start, to another field, full shut down and popup of the log before save will ALSO have the toolbar missing when loaded.

So from my tests, at the moment, I think it’s possible both starting from the runway and popping up the logbook cause this issue.

Also, I saved the flight with engine stopped, but when I loaded the flight it was running again. Some lights were on again. Fuel, flaps and even trim were correct though. Also the location was correct.

Also, I should’ve picked a place with better weather for my test flight, that was a bit tricky …

1 Like

There’s this add-on to hide the toolbar arrow. I wonder in those same files it’s possible to fiddle around and solve it that way …

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/removed-toolbar-handle-that-appears-whenever-your-move-the-mouse/266566

1 Like

Comparing a saved flight that has the toolbar, and one that doesn’t, I notice this line:

This would imply that second one started on a runway, but it absolutely started parked, cold and dark, just like the first one. The only difference with the second one is I flew to another airfield and parked somewhere.

In fact, I just went into the FLT file and changed the FirstFlightState to “PREFLIGHT_PUSHBACK”. Now my aircraft is in the state I left it, with the engine off and the toolbar available. No weather still.

3 Likes

Here some more on this: https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftFlightSim/comments/ir5u5r/loading_saved_flight_crash_to_desktop_might_have/

I guess the “FirstFlightState” just defines how to initialize the aircraft. You’d think it would “initialize” the state that was saved, but apparently not.

Why the menu is missing with FLIGHT_RUNWAY not sure, I wonder which other states hide the menu …

More:

1 Like

I believe this should be up to the user deciding these:

• provide opt-in checkboxes in the “save flight” window to selectively disable these toolbar items.
  • by default leave all toolbar items available.

For example saving a flight where you’d have a certain weather and W&B for training and you disable these in order to make the saved fight repeatable in the same conditions. On the other hand, because you’re on a multi leg trip and want to continue the next day, save the flight with all options left open and the next day you can resume your flight and further change what you want.

2 Likes

I also don’t see how that could be a “feature”.

If the button works before the Save, it should work after the Load.

2 Likes

It’s not even enabled when you save a flight that uses a weather preset.

I have the same problem with being able to change the weather after loading a saved game - the change icon disappears and cannot be turned on. But … I had a 4-month break in the game and as I remember the problem has been around since the game’s release. I thought after so long they solved it, but no …

2 Likes

For now, I’m giving up finding a way to mod the UI to enable the Weather. It may be possible but I’m not knowledgable enough to do it, and I’m not convinced if the button is there if it would even work.

For my limited use-case I’ll work-around the issues by editing the .FLT file correctly:

1. Start a new flight, fly to another locatiion, land and shut-down the aircraft
  2. Save the flight to a known location on your disk
  3. Open the newly created .FLT file in a text editor
  4. Find the setting “FirstFlightState” under the section “[FreeFlight]”
  5. Change the value from FLIGHT_RUNWAY to PREFLIGHT_PUSHBACK
    • This is required to make sure the Toolbar is visible at all …
  6. Find the section DateTimeSeason
  7. Set day and time as desired
  8. Load the flight and continue with the plane where it was left
    • The aircraft will be cold and dark (due to the PREFLIGHT_PUSHBACK state)

Note: load the flight AFTER (re)starting MSFS to avoid the other bugs that happen on starting a second flight.

Optionally you can change weather between a preset or live:

1. Find the [Weather] section and replace it as follows:

For Live Weather:

[Weather]
UseWeatherFile=False
UseLiveWeather=True
WeatherPresetFile=
WeatherCanBeLive=False
CloudmapPosOverride=False
CloudmapInitialPosX=0
CloudmapInitialPosY=0
FixedClouds=False

For a preset, for example ClearSky:

[Weather]
UseWeatherFile=False
UseLiveWeather=False
WeatherPresetFile=.\WeatherPresets\ClearSky.WPR
WeatherCanBeLive=False
CloudmapPosOverride=False
CloudmapInitialPosX=0
CloudmapInitialPosY=0
FixedClouds=False

By default, the following presets are available by default at the moment:

• Storm
  • Snow
  • ScatteredClouds
  • Rain
  • Overcast
  • HighLevelClouds
  • FewClouds
  • ClearSky
  • BrokenClouds

There’s probably scenario’s where this won’t work. I don’t know how the save / load behaves in flight, and most certainly I don’t use complex airliners. Don’t know what happens if you have flight plans loaded either.

Hopefully someone better than me figures out a simple way to enable the weather button via a small add-in. And ensures the toolbar is ALWAYS there after load.

Or even more so, hopefully these two bugs get fixed.

4 Likes

Actually you can replace the weather section with just
[Weather]
UseLiveWeather=True
WeatherCanBeLive=True

I wrote a powershell script that is taking care of it. With a shortcut on the desktop its very handy.

1. Save this script lines below in a file I called FixWeatherFlightFile.ps1
  2. Make sure the first code line where it says “$fileName =…” points to your actual .FLT file
  3. To execute right click on the FixWeatherFlightFile.ps1 file and select “run with powershell”

If you want to create a short cut that you can put in your task bar

1. Create a new/Shortcut (.lnk)
  2. Where it say “target:” put C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass “.\FixWeatherFlightFile.ps1”
  3. Where it says “Start in:” put the path to your your “FixWeatherFlightFile.ps1” file

$fileName = “…\AirlinersEnv\AIRLINERSENV.FLT”
$fileContent = Get-Content -Encoding Default $fileName -Raw
$fileContent -replace “(?s)(?<=[Weather]).*(?=[Departure])”,“nUseLiveWeather=TruenWeatherCanBeLive=Truenn”|Out-File -Encoding Default $fileName

This is how it looks in my folder:

2 Likes