Toolbar not visible in VR when using external camera but tiny toolbar windows are visible through the skin of the plane

:green_circle: Required

Have you used Developer Mode? NO

PC Specs: CPU: i7 9700F, 3Ghz. RAM: 48GB, GPU: RTX 3090

Aircraft: Beechcraft King Air

Area of the World / Flight Plan: Sydney

Airport (If applicable): Sydney

3rd party addons you were using at the time (Mods/add-ons/community content) Many

Peripherals: Alpha Yoke, Logitech Throttle quadrant, TM rudder pedals

Feedback/Bug Description:
When in external camera view in VR, the tool bar and any open tool bar windows are not shown. Or, more precisely, they are still shown but are scaled down to the size of the cockpit. See the inline photos:

WHEN NOT IN VR, if you have the toolbar visible and/or a toolbar window visible and you are using the external camera, you can see the toolbar and the window, as expected… as shown here:

WHEN IN VR, when in the cockpit, you can see the toolbar and any open windows, as expected…as shown here:

BUT, WHEN YOU SWITCH TO EXTERNAL CAM, the toolbar is not accessible (which could be a problem if you used the toolbar to switch to external cam), but any open toolbar windows show up (tiny) even through the skin of the plane, as shown here:

Was this in the release notes to get fixed? Is this a new real issue introduced with the beta patch? Or is this just something you have noticed and you think is not how you would like it to be?

I was asked to by someone not in the beta to see if this behavior (which was apparently introduced in SU7) is still “broken” in the beta.

I don’t know for sure when it was introduced but it seems like a bug, considering that if you switch to the external camera using the camera window on the tool bar while in VR, you suddenly can’t see or access the camera window or tool bar any longer to switch back.

Anyway, I didn’t see it in the release notes either but if it was introduced in SU7 it seems like there might be some interest in fixing it with the update if possible.

I don’t quite understand the need to go ext cam in VR, let alone the expectation that toolbar and windows should practically be filling up the view. The point is that not everything what people expect is a natural implementation of the functionality, and we should just sometimes accept and adapt our way to use the SW to how is actually works, instead of calling out a “bug” just because it doesn’t work in the way we would like it to.

As I said, I was asked to see if it was present in the beta and the person asking indicated that this was undesirable behavior introduced in SU7. I tested it for him and I’m just reporting it here. It is up to the devs to determine if it is a bug or not.

I only use external view occasionally in VR and I have my camera mapped to a controller button, so I don’t need this changed. But since different camera views are available in VR, I see absolutely no reason that the VR tool bar can’t or shouldn’t be accessible in all camera views. The tool bar is brought up and dismissed with a single key stroke, so it does not need to be filling the view. But, again, this is only a bug if the devs think it is and so my opinion does not matter. Just trying to help another user and the beta test by doing and reporting my testing results.

1 Like

Topic should be “are visible”, since clearly it is a bug that the windows are visible at all in the external camera view.

1 Like

@TidalPopcorn618 and @Lasperi After looking at it some more, I agree with you. External view in VR (which does have it’s uses) does not show any of the flight data like it does in 2D mode, so it probably shouldn’t show any open toolbar windows either. Also, the toolbar windows are situated and sized in 3D space, so they should stay where they are (in the cockpit). I’ve changed the title and description to state the one clear bug (which may not be new with SU7), which is that the toolbar windows show through the skin of the plane when in external view mode in VR. Not a big deal but still not ideal.

1 Like

Closed as by design.