Total noob question about landing

Hey guys, total noob here so I apologize if this is a stupid question. Most of the things I’ve learned during playing FS2020 I’ve done through rote learning, but there is one question the answer to which I simply cannot find from anywhere online nor from the cockpit.

I like flying the A320neo. Every time I land, and I’m just about to touch ground, the engines go on full blast even though I put them to idle. Nothing I do can stop this, unless I turn the engines off. It really seems like some kind of safety measure which would prevent the plane from crashing, but can be turned off during landing. Can someone explain to me what is going on and how to deal with it? Thanks.

On landing, setting thrust to idle should disengage the AutoThrottle. If it doesn’t do that for you then turn ATHR off on short final - seems to be bugged.

The airbus A320 has a safety parameter that will engage thrust if you get too close to the stall speed. This is why some people might be finding the engine spooling up expectantly on the final, they are flying to close to the stall speed and the limiter kicks in.

Make sure you are full flaps, auto brake armed and carry a little more speed into the flare and you should solve this issue for yourself.

2 Likes

I asked this same quesiton, and I was told that the Airbus does this by design if your airspeed is too low during a landing.

Is this a case of me flying badly and the system working as intended, or is it a bug in the simulator?

What do you mean by “auto brake armed”? Does that mean air brake engaged to 100%?

What should your speed be when you touch down?

I’ve tried having autothrottle on and off. By default I turned it off. The only workaround I’ve found is turning off the engines entirely, and then turning them on right as I touch ground to put on reverse thrust.

This would also make sense.

As regards whether it is a bug, I don’t think so; I’ve been landing the neo at ~140-45kts and the thrust remains closed on touchdown when ATHR is enabled by retarding the throttle. Perhaps you could test landing at that speed?

You’ll see the autobrakes somewhere near the landing gear lever. General practice is that it should be on Medium for normal landings. A blue light will illuminate when it is armed and, on ground roll, you’ll see it switch to green and say ‘Avail’.

What speed do you land at? Is everything fully configured?

I had the same issue. I eventually ended up doing the following.

• Turn off the engine way before you descend to land. Like cut off the engine to 0 %
  • Open the flaps/set it to landing.
  • Start going down (Num 8 in my case)
  • Open the Landing Gear (of course, you are already doing this)

This seems to put my knots to about 60 to 80, which is enough to land with a few bumps. But again, I know, the speed should be much lower, but at least I am able to land now without bouncing off multiple times off the runway.

I understand the knots should be way less, like 20 or something, but I havent figured that part yet.

Update : Folks, I just realized, I did not read the OP’s plane being used. wrong post in the wrong thread. He he :stuck_out_tongue:

Had a saved flight for landing training, and tested this a couple of times. You are indeed correct - if I land at a higher speed, the engines don’t go on full blast. However I still don’t like this and would like to adjust it. Right now it feels like a tightrope on which I am balancing my landing - too much speed and the landing fails, just a hair too little of it and the plane just blasts off on its own

Emkays answer below is correct. The autobrake system is near the landing gear handle.

download

what? the A320 should land at AT LEAST 120 knots

Okay, tried this, and it actually seems to have fixed it.

1 Like

Great, Glad to help.

Jaylive,

The A320 like all jetliners, don’t land like a general aviation aircraft. The speed of the landing is calculated using many factors such as weight, temperature and weather.

You would typically not have the A320 in a zero throttle position until you hear the “Retard” audible in the cockpit. Meaning retard the throttled. (close). Jetliners typically land on a 3% glide-path with a descent rate of 600-700 feet per minute all the way through the final. In order to accomplish this, you need a nose up attitude and a higher airspeed than 89-90 knots as you mentioned. You landing speeds will typically fall between 130-145 knots and an N1 % on your engine instruments between 60-70% (estimate) depending on weight and other environmental factors.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

I got to admit, everything you just typed went over my head. Mainly because, I mostly fly for sightseeing and I use only the propeller planes.

Perhaps, a few months down the line, when I eventually upgrade myself to non-propeller planes, your suggestions would help me out. So, I have logged your suggestions for future reference.

The propellers themselves are confusing to control for me (I just want to cruise around and see the world you see :stuck_out_tongue: ), yes, I will keep your tips for some uncertain future time.

1 Like

No worries JayLive, I know this can be a bit like drinking from a fire hose. Just enjoy the ride and before you know it, you will have gained enough information to become a proficient desktop pilot.

Its a good thing to enjoy whats outside the window. When I first started, my instructor said he could always tell people who used home simulators, they spend all their focused on the panel, which is not really necessary for light GA aircraft in visual (VFR) conditions. Your best attitude indicator when Visual flight is that big horizon straight ahead.

Enjoy. Keep the blue side up.

1 Like

I agree with you man.

Unfortunately, I always have a issue with flying anything in any game. Even the GTA V flying, I was horrible at that and kept crashing. So, thats should give an idea about how bad I am.

But yes, 6 months down the line, if I am still playing this game, I will join the big boys and get inside those big planes cockpit, he he :stuck_out_tongue: