Tree Draw Distance / LOD Issues

Scroll up to see the shot from Norway. Also area shot is famous in LOWI. Anyone can tell by how much you see see trees in furthest mountain.

1 Like

There is no major hit editing CFG LOD now on SU5 terrain\object, performance have been improved, the draw distance trees goes beyond the older mod.

1 Like

After the update my performance is a lot better but it seems that it’s taking a while for things in the distance to render. Anyone else noticing this? That includes both trees and buildings

2 Likes

The latest update has introduced extreme occlusion culling which makes LOD pop-in very noticeable when panning the camera around. It feels like a massive graphical downgrade.

6 Likes

Is there a way to work around that?

I’m sure everyone has already done this… Make sure you have updated everything in the Content Manager after installing the main MSFS update.

If you haven’t checked… do so, there’s probably several updates you need to download.

as i was trying to match the weather and light, i realised that weather settings got either crippled (no changing of temperatur, rain, snow, aerosol densitiy and so on) or i can’t find it anymore?

my take on this is, that LOD 400-600 the sim is close to what it was with the MOD.

i tired to match the location first is pre 1.14 with draw distance mod!

update 1.18.13.0 LOD 200

update 1.18.13.0 WITH LOD 400!

XBOX X

1.18.13.0 WITH LOD 400!

sadly the popping of objects (my guess is occlusion culling is buggy?) is massive and destroys the immersion quite a bit.

1 Like

Notice this as well, trees and objects fill in after looking in same direction for a while.

1 Like

It is not a bug, it is an intended side effect of the new culling method they introduced to improve performance (there was no culling before). You can see more examples and discussion in here.

@Ju1ius2416 I’m trying to request a slider or graphics setting that allows us to adjust or disable the culling in the thread below, can I add your video too in my main post?

3 Likes

please do so!

it may be intended, but not all good intend makes sense or is even good(looking) I’m one of those TrackIR users, and natually looking around flying VFR is just annoying and ugly to look at.

1 Like

Added, thanks!

I completely agree, but unfortunately there was probably no other way to make the simulator run well on the Xbox, and give many users the performance boost they want. If they could give us this slider to adjust the culling everyone will be happy in the end. Hopefully they’ll do this soon with the tree draw distance as well.

1 Like

The LOD pop-in has really killed the immersion for me. I personally was happy playing at a locked 30 frames a seconds on ultra settings before this update.

The drastic frame rate increase wasn’t something I really needed, it was just the stuttering that was annoying.

It seems that PC users with decent setups have gotten shafted for the sake of console parity. I didn’t think Asobo would do this.

4 Likes

i thought that this is exactly what Asobo/MS would do.

1 Like

Huge performance increase, yet at what cost

I made a comparison video a week ago to compare. Unfortunately Asobo changed the way autopilot navigates so it’s not an exact 1:1 match, yet close enough.

First some screen grabs, SU4 terrain detail 100

SU5 terrain detail 100

Much better fps, but everything is very soft, kinda blurry, and the high detail LOD is a much smaller circle around the plane making LOD transitions very obvious and distracting while flying.

SU5 terrain detail 200 (trying to grow the high detail area)

SU5 terrain detail 200 and rendercale 150 (to combat the increased softness)

That pretty much puts me back at my old performance with imo worse lighting. It does run smoother in motion, still uses less memory, but the LOD transitions are still very noticeable.

Flight before SU5

Same flight and settings after SU5

Hmm, I guess I’ll get used to the new lighting. The increase in pop in is distracting though.

4 Likes

And my other test, draw from nothing to detect runway tears.

Redraw is faster as well now, giving tears less time to show up. I still tripped on them while setting up the camera. My plane was on the other end of the runway and when I switched back it got bumped around by cracks in the terrain.

This was before SU5

And after

Big gains here, although also more blurry again and a general increase in brightness

What’s the location and name of this file?

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

“UserCfg.opt”

to this day i haven’t heard a good explanation why to couple tree distance to terrain LOD? (besided making it easier and reduce settings for consols?

Found this, but only has “LocalState” folder, no “LocalCache”? (Steam installation?)
C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

1 Like

Which line do I have to change because of LOD, can someone please explain that to me