Troubleshooting scenery stutters on high-end hardware (RTX 4090 / 5900X / Reverb G2)

Thanks so much I will try all this later tonight!

Yeah, I really feel it’s not for lack of hardware performance…I will the settings in the other reply. Really want to get to the bottom of this or I’ll just have to goto DCS.

1 Like

Really surprised you are getting stutters with that hardware. Have you tried locking fps at or at half your HMD refresh rate?

In VR vsync should be off, both in nVidia CP and in MSFS, so if you have it on, that’s a first thing to try.

Besides all the things that are often mentioned (HAGS off, game mode off, BIOS multithreading off), two things that are a bit harder to find mention of and seemed to make a difference for me were:

1: Using ISLC (google it and/or search forum)
2: Disallow the computer to pause any USB device (maybe this matters because Quest uses USB-C; you need to go to Power Management tab in the Properties of all individual USB devices in Device Manager to disable that function.)

Worth and try and good luck!

Tremendous performance gain HTC VIVE PRO 2 in VR with this option enabled. I’ve previously heard people say that this option didn’t work well for them, but something must have improved because it’s working perfectly for me. My rig. Rtx 3090, Ryzen 5900x, 32Gb ram 3800 Mhz, Nvme 2tb gigabyte hard drive and Htc Vive Pro 2. I explain my experience in case it helps anyone and want to replicate it. After months of frustration for not being able to play decently in Rv at good quality and performance I have discovered something that has forever changed my performance and with almost everything in ultra, even the Lod in 300 and the quality of objects in 200, insane … I am using the latest beta of the simulator and dx12, I also use DLSS in quality and what many will not believe is that I have the Vr application configured in 4024x4014 per eye (a barbarity) and VIVE console in ultra and 90 hz (this way I am not limited by the processor). I only had to activate two options for my gaming experience to change like overnight, all super fluid and with a tremendous quality, before, without this configuration was totally unplayable, even lowering the quality to high and lowering the resolution in steamvr. I’ll get to the point: Enter Vive Console in “Settings”, “video” and activate the option “Motion Compensation” and the “FPS Preference” option in auto. You will notice a little “aquatic” dance in the menus, also in external views it is noticeable in sudden movements at the beginning, but it is very little appreciated and when you take a few minutes it disappears completely, it is as if the image is stabilized, at the end inside the simulation for me everything is perfect, super fluid even at low altitude and in dense populated areas. If you put the DLSS on performance and lower the setting to “high” everything will be much smoother. In the past Htc’s motion compensation didn’t work very well, but they have improved it a lot; actually what it does is to skip frames in the scene to maintain stable fps, so the performance goes up a lot and what fascinates me the most is that there is no degradation in the scene outside the menus, but that’s not something that worries me too much, inside the simulation my experience after months of frustration trying everything is fascinating. As for those who have a rtx 4080 or 4090 I suppose they can even raise the resolution of the viewfinder much more and the simulator settings in ultra. I have also tested it without DLSS, in TAA and it works frankly well.

I decided to try this way. I will let you know if it helps!

1 Like

You start your wall of text talking about “this option”, but which option do you mean?

This option is only available for the HTC VIVE PRO 2 in the VIVE CONSOLE application.

As @BearsAreCool510 asks, what option are you talking about?

1 Like

I am Spanish and the application VIVE CONSOLE is in Spanish, but I suppose that in the English version everything will be in the same place.

What you’re describing for the HTC is what is generally referred to as “motion reprojection” or MR, as it’s called in WMR for the G2, or ASW for Quest 2. This function is very well known. Some use it for the same reasons you do. Others can’t stand the “wobbling”, what you refer to as “the little aquatic dance”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Forgive my lack of knowledge with the terms, I do not know if it is exactly the same, because that option you describe is in the graphics options of the simulator and for me that option does not affect my performance, but the VIVE Console option does for good. In the simulation I hardly notice that wobble, in fact it disappears completely when I’ve been playing for a few minutes, I only notice it in the menus, but my experience has improved a lot, before it was impossible to have a decent experience in VR, even with a powerful computer like mine and lowering all the graphic parameters, now I’m really enjoying the experience. :blush:

1 Like

I think it is. I had forgotten about the option within MSFS itself as I never use it. All these differently named functions do the same thing: calculating and inserting frames in between “real” frames to get a refresh rate that’s a multiple of the frame rate.

And I do understand and appreciate your enthusiasm and happiness with your discovery. I am in the pro MR camp myself. In fact, on my Quest 2 and lowly 3060 Ti I simply have to use it, despite the wobbly menus. And I use the rather counter-intuitive setting of ASW18 on 120 Hz, so I fix my fps at 24 Hz with 4 frames being interpolated for each single real one. You would think: how can that possibly look good, but it feels smoother than 72 Hz at ASW30 to me, which would also be 24 fps.

And I agree with you that in-game, I don’t notice the wobbling and artefacts that much, at least they don’t overly disturb me. The thing is, there’s no alternative for me. Not using MR is more immersion-breaking than using it with my system. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I read somewhere (maybe on this thread) that the wobbles with MR have got worse of late, even with a high end system. I have been able to run MR set at 45fps with my 4090/5800X3D rig, but today just flying gliders in a rural setting, the MR wobbles were terrible. Sitting on the grass after a flight with the canopy open the horizon was wobbling like crazy for no reason, as i wasn’t moving. I tried canning DLSS Quality for TAA and it was still there. It was so bad that later flying the Ant’s Tiger Moth I closed the sim, disabled the toolkit, switched off MR restarted and set DLSS at performance which of course got rid of the MR wobbles. Things were nice and sharp (OXR at 160%) and my framerates were mostly over 90fps using a G2 headset, up to 95 fps in fact.

So, no reason for stutters one would think, but the scenery looking down was stuttering very noticeably. Maybe server issues or something in the latest beta, which I am on? Who knows.

1 Like

The only thing I can think of is if you use shake reduction in OXRTK with MR you can get very bad wobbles. If so, try turning shake reduction off.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I had shake reduction set to zero. From what I have read about stutters on the beta threads, there could be issues with the current release or it could just be sim Gremlins. Time will tell.

So much to read and understand…. For me at least, stopping holographicshell does it! I9-12900, RTX2070, 32GB with few stutters now: at 1000 ft from EGLC rwy27 in a P28A. Smooth with only 22 FPS, so will need to experiment further with graphic settings. Thank everybody for posting thoughts and solutions.

I kill the holographicshell in my starting .bat file, so that’s not the one for me. It may have been worse with it though…

Just an observation, but sitting as still as possible and staring at the open ATC window with MR enabled, the wobbles do in fact seem to come at regular pulses, seemingly in time with my heartbeat. I’ve just tried this in the menu screen too. Is anyone able to confirm this?

When I had Win11 installed (I’m back on Win10 now) there was of course the oversensitive headset tracking issue, picking up my heartbear, which the toolkit has the option to mitigate.

I’m trying to see if the wobbles stop with the headset sitting on the desk, but it’s hard to get an eyeball in there…