Turbulence -- excessive or real world realistic

100%, here is the wishlist thread for that:
Realistic Dangerous Weather - Physics Simulation

1 Like

To be honest real world turbulence can sometimes catch real world pilots by surprise and sometimes even kills them.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/5773325/ao-2016-112-final.pdf

The witness then walked into the shearing shed and, approximately 20 seconds later, heard a short application of power from the aircraft, like a ā€˜quick burstā€™. The witness thoughtthat the pilot was possibly having some issues at the runway threshold as easterly and northerly winds may result in mechanical turbulence (refer to section titled Yarram aerodrome ā€“ Mechanical turbulence). On hearing the throttle ā€˜ease upā€™, the witness thought that the pilot must have decided to land further along the runway.

Subsequent examination of the dirt runway 09/27 showed marks where the aircraft attempted to either land or perform a ā€˜touch-and-goā€™. The first marks showed that both main wheels touched down about the same time, about 4 m to the left of the centre line. The aircraft then travelled on the right main wheel for about 54 m bouncing from the runway three times, missing runway cones and lights denoting the beginning of the landing area. The aircraft then rolled left and travelled on the left main wheel for 1.4 m before levelling out onto both main wheels, again bouncing, and then striking the lower empennage fairing once. The aircraft rolled right and travelled on the right main wheel for about 3.7 m, again striking the lower empennage prior to lifting off. During that sequence, the aircraft travelled about 96 m and about 15Ā° to the left of the runway centre line. Neither wing tip nor nose wheel contacted the runway. In total, the aircraft bounced about eight times.

Following the quick power burst, the witness then looked out of the shed window and observed the aircraft in the air, away from the runway centreline in a 30Ā° left angle of bank. The witness estimated the aircraft to be 50-100 ft above the ground. The aircraft continued to the left and the bank angle increased. The lower wing then dropped and the aircraft descended in a near to vertical attitude. The aircraft had turned 180Ā° from the original flight path. The witness then lost sight of the aircraft as it went behind the trees at the western end of the aerodrome boundary, but they heard the aircraft impact the ground .

The witness called out to their spouse, a registered nurse, and they drove to the aerodrome. The witness rang the emergency services on the way. Once at the site, they removed the pilot from the aircraft and began providing medical assistance while waiting for the emergency services to arrive. The pilot died from the injuries sustained in the accident. The aircraft was destroyed.

Based on the name ā€œCATā€, it adds clear air turbulence, so itā€™s of very little use, since what is absurdely missing in FS are all bad weather effectsā€¦ I see no CB clouds, no lightnings and, most important, when I go through big cumulus clouds, nothing happens, no convective turbulence, no shaking at all!! They are only textures put there, nothing elseā€¦ This MUST be changed, itā€™s a real SHAME that a flight simulator is missing such an important aspect! More, I repeat, the weather radar will be USELESS if such effects are not implemented!! This is the MOST URGENT fetaure to be implemented in FS and itā€™s a shame that, after 2 years, itā€™s still missingā€¦

3 Likes

See the source image

I agree it is not needed.

Also - arenā€™t SIGMETā€™s describing any type of turbulence, unless itā€™s specifically said that itā€™s brought on by a mountain wave (MTW)?
I doubt that those SEV TURB SIGMETs describe clear air turbulence.

Yeah no, adding CAT areas wonā€™t solve any other types of turbulence described and problem is that CAT could happen in those areas, it doesnā€™t mean it actually will happen. Whoever wrote that post (hopefully not the devs) donā€™t know the difference between CAT and Jetstream. There is no such thing as the core of a CAT area, I assume they mean the core of a Jetstream (you know, the thing usually causing the CAT? :joy:). CAT can also happen because of mountains.

1 Like

In one of those early feature discovery videos they did spoke about itā€¦

They do but only when severe. Otherwise you can see CAT areas on Significant Weather Charts (SWC) although in SIGMET it wonā€™t mention CAT, just severe turbulence. We had this a couple of days ago over Scandinavia.

These dotted lines around jetstreams are CAT areas:

3 Likes

Nope I disagree, I fly VR GA all the time, and the turbulence seems to fine to me (Not a pilot IRL, but a student of fluid dynamics). Quick note, Thermals are NOT active in the sim according to Jorgā€™s last interview with Callum at FSElite.com. Anyhow, any time you move a body through an mass of air, you will have both laminar and turbulant flow over the body. There are many considerations to take into account when experiencing ā€œturbulenceā€ in the simā€¦ What is the wind speed? What direction? what is the mass of the aircraft? Climbing? Descending? Turning? Is the aircraft coordinated? Even over flat land, there will be turbulent air at the surface, and while the air should be more laminar as you climb in altitude you will still ā€œfeelā€ the effect of the air moving over the airfoilā€¦

Hereā€™s a nice little articleā€¦ The Importance of Laminar Flow Over Airfoils in Aerodynamics | System Analysis Blog | Cadence

So because you donā€™t feel sick, you dismiss other people that do? they have expressed how they feel on this and other forums.

We canā€™t ignore other users needā€¦ just saying.

R.

I wonder if we get an option to adjust the turbulence strength in the simulator update. I look forward to adding the slider.

You mean that since some people get sick with VR, there should be NO turbulence in the sim??? I hope you donā€™t mean thatā€¦

LOL, I mean why not putting a setting for turbulence that people can tweak? so the ones that get sick can do something about it? people that like it can leave it at 100%, etc.

R.

1 Like

Ah, ok, thatā€™s a good point. We need turbulence in FS, above all that generated by convection inside clouds, at the moment completely absentā€¦

People get sick because of head movement / shake. The camera should be completely still in VR and not move with turbulence.

1 Like

A slider would be good. The air isnā€™t always turbulent, and sometimes it would be nice to have the choice of flying the sim in glassy air because smooth air happens all the time in reality. Only in the latest update is there constant turbulence, even when flying early morning or late afternoon with the preset on Clear Skies. In the 172, I find the amount of abrupt climbing and descending to be unrealistic. Saying this as a real-world glider pilot as well as current private pilot.

3 Likes

I agree, I am also a former Silver Badge glider pilot. The side-to-side swaying motion of the cockpit is unrealistic. My experience is that turbulence is felt as a more vertical oscillation that in stronger turbulence leads to vibration of the airframe as intensity increases and the wings start to flex.

I have had my head bounced off the canopy a few times :rofl: Tighten those shoulder straps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very hard to fly without feeling ill. I just tried the H135 again and it constantly flies moving left and right all the time making me feel sick. This didnā€™t happen before. I have tried switching off the camera shake but does not make much difference. Seems to be worse now.

But gusts can make us sick IRL too. But i think the camera should be like the camera that shows the instruments in this that keeps the camera in level with horizon all the time. The scenery keeps steady but the cockpit moves around instead.

It is the opposite in Home Cockpit Mode which is why I use it. Much more realistic having the scenery move instead of the cockpit. In real life the pilot moves with the plane, not the scenery.

1 Like