Turbulences have been reduced by 90%

Just tried the beta for 1h. What a blast!
Tried some T&Gs at my local airport in the C310. Crosswind and slight gusts. It felt so much more dynamic and alive now.
Tested St.Barthelmy in 21kts in the Arrow and some windy places in the US.
Very good experience all over. Didn’t find it overdone. Finally you have to work those rudders and ailrons as opposed to before where I felt I was flying on rails (or almost like a fly-by-wire A/C - point the nose at threshold and it stays there-feeling).

Need to test more(time time time) but this looked very promising.
And pls let it stay so with NO sliders in live WX (then its not live and ppl are flying in different conditions in what is supposed to be live).
Just as irl even if its CAVOK you might not be able to fly in that specific area bcs of winds, mountainwaves, thermals etc. As been said 1000 times: turn off live WX in these occations then…

GJ Asobo!!

Edit - also used FSRealistic which (at least vertically) seems to decouple the head from the AC to a certain degree - where it feels like the AC gets buffeted around and not the view. At least it felt very natural to keep focus on the threshold while the airframe moved around.

9 Likes

Agree, i was travelling by boat today and wanted to focus on how my view behaved under the trip over those waves. I looked at the horizon and the horizon was stable all the time. The only thing that moved were the boat around me and those waves. I could only feel that the boat moved around on the waves. When i walked on that boat my body tries to stay balanced. But it’s hard because i don’t know when next wave comes.

In the boat i had no seatbelts. In a plane we have and that makes us more stuck to the planes vertical movement though. In all of the rest axis our head is free to move and make adjustments to be in balance with horizon. Then g-forces makes our head turn and be unblanced with horizon. Thats different depending on how strong muscles in the neck we have and how long time we last holding the balance. Then there is limits of how much the neck can turn and adjust when a plane rolls for example and we have reflexes that want to avoid hitting with hard surfaces. We makes the head avoid be near the surface that is facing the ground. I think there is a lot to do with the headmovement in the sim to feel more beliavable.

1 Like

You should really check out FSRealistic Pro - if Asobo doesn’t change something later.
It does unbind the head/eyes from the plane. So in turbulence and gusts the plane moves around while the head movement is more stationary.
There is a ‘Turbulence’ tab in there that you can tweak to your liking.
Tried both default and with FSR, and FSR felt much better as the head isn’t glued to the plane.
Could be a bit difficult to hit the buttons, program gps etc if the shaking was really bad - but that can be troblesome irl as well.

I think that could be fixed by implementing a push to stable-key that makes the instruments stable while changing instruments? Then when pushing that key again the head is more focused to the horizon again. Thats how the eyes work IRL. While focusing the eyes on the instruments the instruments is stable and while focusing on the terrain the terrain gets stable. Or make it automatic as soon as we hit a button with the mouse cursor. I think VR-devices should be improved and use eye-tracking too that checks what our eyes are focusing on then our eyes could be simulate in the sim. Now in VR it’s more like looking through a handheld camera lense instead of the VR display be our eyes.

I have fs realistic. It is really good i must say. Also adds sound that makes us feel the turbulence more. I would like the engines to change in RPM too while we are in gusts. Have you noticed all of the different sounds the engines does while in turbulence? Now when we have gusts we can also hear that the air changing. Before the wind were constant at ground. Listen and you hear when the air change in speed. Awesome.

1 Like

With FSRealistic the camera is stabilised when zooming in to instruments.

1 Like

Really? It certainly isn’t stabilized if I switch to a custom camera view, like zoomed in on GPS.
That is with the Turbulence sliders at abt 60-70.
Will try n test more later…

1 Like

Sounds good, never noticed it though. Is it any settings for that?

I don’t use a custom camera view I just have RMB assigned to zoom, so when I want to adjust instruments or play with MCDU I just hover my mouse pointer in that area and zoom in - the image is stable when zoomed in (no other settings needed in fsrealistic).

2 Likes

Thank you. Will try that :slight_smile:

Okay, here is my latest attempt in the Warrior. This is legit moderate turbulence on short final. I dunno. I feel like this is possible if you’re talking a howling, windy, convective day. But with light-to-moderate winds (I think they were 8 knots) and an otherwise pretty smooth day, this sort of (mechanical) turbulence while over-flying low buildings is excessive. I am about as proud of this landing as I am of any I’ve ever done in a flight simulator. This was legit work.

3 Likes

Okay, just did a flight in 1.27.13. If I had to use one word to describe the Warrior on short final it would be “uncontrollable”.

I am no longer having fun flying. Seriously.

I agree, the machanical turbulence feels too strong. I have not done any research about that though. Fun to watch the video :slight_smile: I liked and subscribed :wink:

I can meassure the vertical movement caused by those mechanical turbulence but i’m not sure how much force those vertical winds over obstacles should cause. Have you any data from real world to share with the devs?

https://navyflightmanuals.tpub.com/P-303/Mechanical-Turbulence-106.htm

Maybe the terrain, objects and stuff like that causes the air to change too much because if too much friction?

I know they unlimited winds near ground in su10. Maybe that causes issues with too much force in winds near ground?

Will try a flight in the new build :slight_smile:

Just to add to the issue …

In some planes (for example, the C172 G1000) the AP Roll Pid is bordering on Instability.
(you can see this , even in non-turbulent weather), as the plane is constantly oscillating about its Roll Axis.

Add some turbulence, and this Instability is further triggered, and the plane is even more unstable about its roll axis.

Very Obvious if one looks ta the AP PID Debug screen in Dev Mode.

One “assumes”, the Roll PID was “Tweaked” back prior to SU10 / SU8, and was over tweaked, so it responded far too quickly, and was bordering on unstable.

Then with the addition of Turbulence, this over-tweaked, verging on Unstable setting, became even more unstable.

Note: It does not help that the description of PIDS, and how to tune them, appears, (at least to me, with many years of Professional Control Theory experience), to be a complete work of fantasy, and is grossly incorrect.

The bottom line is, for many GA planes, the “Perceived” excessive Turbulence, is being cause by an Unstable AP !!

Adjustment of GA Plane AP PIDS in RL, is a Compromise, between the settings for Calm & Turbulent weather. One setting is NOT optimum for both cases,

2 Likes

Seems pretty realistic to me. Actually impressed they are able to inject (seemingly) mechanical turbulence like this.
Would be fun to see if you could avoid the turbulence by opting for a steeper approach…
Been testing a few approaches St.Barth in SU10 myself.
20kts winds with gusts - seem ok’ish to me though.

3 Likes

I agree however I wish they could add Turb in CB and TS as huge convective winds as it could occur in a very dangerous/lethal way in RL because so far there’s still no danger in MSFS2020 skies which still makes it far from reality… but now Asobo is on the right patch in terms of realism !

By the way how many times have I been grounded during winter season in VFR flight between LFPL to LFQT, usually because of the low base of CB combined with huge turbulence (legs of my first very small pilot’s job (Flight Part 91) in order to bring the birds for maintenance to Merville LFQT, back and forth)… Well never been grounded in MSFS2020 due to the weather conditions of the day because it is still an incompleted picture of reality, a casual one let’s put that way but WIP …

Anyway I’m already worried about the numbers of players who will say that Turb are overdone once they won’t be able to fly a PA28 in CB or TS. That will be the end of beautiful screenshots in the heart of a thunderstorm flying a Cub! A scandal! lol :scream: :rofl:

Hopefully this time Asobo won’t listen them or the best could be to have two options “gaming mode” and “realistic mode” to make everybody happy! :smiley: :airplane: :+1:

7 Likes

Hehe, yeah totally agree. TS, TCU, CBs etc should be a no-fly-zone for GAs. Now we can fly straight through in our mighty C152…
As an ATC I know airliners shun them too, and refuse to fly into those areas - braking our sequence-plan and routings :wink:.
So hope Asobo don’t tone things down - but adjust instead, and introduce more turbulence and up-/downdrafts into these clouds.

6 Likes

You can always fly into them – it;s your chance of flying out of them that is in question !! but in a SIM – you can “try” anything, experieince it, and hopefully learn from it.

3 Likes

Totally agree. But only adjust if they know it will be more realistic. Not adjust to make those just saying it’s overdone happy. Telling it’s overdone is not constructive in any way.

6 Likes

But instead of learning those will complain it’s overdone :rofl:

Well, in custom weather we should be able to turn all of the turbulence off if we want to. Custom-weather is there to be able to customize the weather. I would not disagree with that.

1 Like

There’s no way that you’re going to get the type of turbulence that almost results in a loss of control from a 15-20 knot wind over two-story buildings. Will you get turbulence? Sure. That kind of turbulence? I don’t believe so.