Two 43" 4k tv + one 49" 4k tv or 3 identical tv's?

Hi guys

I’m gonna buy three 4k tv’s and I’m thinking about one 49 inch in the middle and two 43 inch on the side. I dont have space for three 49 inch tv’s.

Is this a wise decision concerning scaling etc…one tv Being larger than The Other two. Or would it be better to take three 43" tv’s and keep it simple?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Jozeff

TVs or monitors, always best to try and match the size, model, and resolutions, so for what it’s worth I’d go with three X 43

Hope your videocard can handle the resolution….

as long as all 3 have the same resolution it could work.

Right now, MSFS does not support spanning across 3 screens afaik - but it might in the future. Even so, if you have different physical size screens with respect to height, you could never smoothly span a single image across 3 screens no matter what software you are running, because there would always be a disconnect at the interface of the monitors. All the partial images on the outer screens would be physically smaller than those on the center screen. Imagine your cursor leaving the top right of your main screen, it would jump down physically as it entered the top left of the right screen, and you’d quickly become disappointed with that! The only way you could smoothly pan from one screen to another would be if they were of the same resolution AND the same physical height.

Assuming your graphics cards would actually support 3 x 4K monitors (pretty challenging) you could technically connect up 3 monitors of any physical size, but if they aren’t the same height - you’d hate interfacing with them.

So - the answer to your question is…3 identical 43inch monitors.

I used to use 1 big 2 smaller displays in FSX, and while in there you could manage the screens to make the difference between the 2 sizes bearable, currently 2020 doesnt have those tools to help you manage such a setup.

So Id go with three identical myself.
This is what it looked like in FSX:

Of course since 2020 doesnt have those tools as of yet, you might alway consider buying 1 BF monitor and run it on that. This looks spectacular on an 55" UHD set I could imagine it on a 70"+ one ;p

2 Likes

I would strongly recommend one big TV for the simulator 3d display, and smaller separate monitor(s) for other things (charts, chat, pop-out instrument views). Remember there is no multi-monitor support for 3d rendering in MSFS 2020. It might get it some day, but don’t expect it any time soon.

I agree with your suggestion. One 55 inch (or thereabouts) screen is a lot of image in front of your face, and puts heaps less stress on the GPU. The OP used the phrase “keep it simple”, and one large screen only achieves exactly that, and would give massively better performance than trying to use 3 x 4K screens.

And the only trouble with not having 3 displays though, is that with the way I had it setup in the above snapshot, you got a greater feeling of the speed you were traveling, and that part of it is just not the same on a single monitor setup.

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate it!

I also fly xplane a lot and multi monitor support is excellent there.

Great suggestions!

Jozeff

1 Like

I am using 80/20 Aluminum sim rig - (GT Omega Prime). Eye to screen distance Minimum 2 feet - 61 cm, max ~3.5 Feet - 110 cm

Here is my experience:

• 1x 27" 2K - If you place this close it is ok, still too small since i fly with tubeliners. I feel like i am in a cage :smiley:
  • 1x 27" 2k + 2x 27" FullHD ith 1080p custom resolution : Still not big enough for me.
  • 1x 55" my old Sony Full HD TV - Too big.
  • 1x 50" TLC S535 4k TV (VA Panel) - The experience was lovely but, this tv is not high end and VA panel. I was sitting close so couldn’t see side of the TV clearly and it faded. So in my personal taste, it is too big. I also had text calrity issues with this.
  • 1x 43" TV 4K - it is perfect size for me. Placed ~3 feet away from my eyes. Neither big nor small.

Decision : I will go with 3x 43" Sony X80J + 1x 27" 2K screen Quad setup (it uses panel similar to IPS properties, so you have RBG layout and no text issues). I will mount them to Aluminum quad tv stand.

Future Upgrade : in 5 years i may switch to 3x LG Oled 48 or 42 (e.g LG C1) not decided yet. Not planing go beyond this size unless i have to.

My advice: Until i made a trial with single 50" & 55" i was planning to go with 3x 50" TV’s. My aim was to create real life FOV and feeling. I wanted to mimic the size of the screens and buttons as close as possible like you are sitting in a real cockpit. (I also play other sim games).

So long story short, you may try with 50 or 49, unless you buy a good quality panel and place that tv far from your eye you will have viewing angle problems. You will not have this on a 43" (little in cheap 43" VA panels). Good luck :smiley:

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you may also experience uniformity issues in bigger screens, also if you sit too close to big screen it may cause fish eye effect (it may not look straight but little bend). E.g the 43 inch screen i am using in the office (i am an engineer and i spend my life in front of that screen), top of the frame does not look straight :smiley: unless i lean back.

EDIT2: I also have lazy left eye, so that may be the problem about fish eye feeling. Not sure.

It will span across all three (I do it when my eyes get tired/dry from too much time in VR) but the edges will be stretched and distorted. What we can’t do (yet) is adjust each of the monitors view individually as can be done easily in XP11.

My Samsung 49” 5120x1440 monitor is plenty for MSFS2020!

Thanks a lot everyone!

Appreciate it.

Cheers

Jozeff