Two Opposite Wind Socks at Friday Harbor (KFHR)

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No.

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

I have both World Updates for the US installed. No other scenery mods installed.

Brief description of the issue:

There are two wind socks at Friday Harbor. The one surrounded by blocks appears to be reversed.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

ICAO or coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

KFHR

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Hello,
Please do not use the General Discussion category of AAU 1 beta to report bugs. I have moved your post.

1 Like

Can confirm this bug. There is also a bad terrain spike to the north of the field when viewed from distances greater than 5nm.

The ‘opposite windsock’ big appears only to be at custom airports, not autogen ones.

Still present

2 Likes

After world update 12, for example Westport NZWS, in New Zealand which has 4 wind socks (go figure) all point in different directions.
Some airports will have the wind sock pointing in the direction you land. So no matter which way you land you are always landing into the wind… So when flying multiplayer with a buddy and landing opposite directions, for each of us the wind sock was showing we were landing into the wind. Completely broken.

It’s been logged as a bug and is being fixed - and I mean globally, not just for KFHR.

I’ve started to do my own scenery editing and I’ve noticed that when you place a windsock object it can sometimes have its animation inverted so it will blow the opposite direction. Clearly a bug in the model code.

Note that this doesn’t mean the wind direction is any different. Just make sure to consult another source like the wind vector (if you have one), wave direction, the weather toolbar or in SIM METAR or one of the many apps that will pull wind data (eg LittleNavMap). Or you can overfly the runway and note the difference between airspeed and ground speed as well as any drift. All good techniques for bush flying where there may be no windsock or METAR.

This is a short but interesting read, windsocks can at times read different directions at an airport, although the amount that it happens in the sim is more than likely a bug. How to Read Conflicting Airport Windsocks | PilotWorkshops