UK Scenery and landmarks

Why is it that UK scenery is poorly served, in relation to France, Germany, Italy, etc…1 crafted airport, 1 photo city, minimal landmarks…Hope there is no bias here…

will this be addressed on future updates?

1 Like

It is pretty poor over the UK in comparison to other countries.

Yes from someone that lives in the UK. I do hope that they sort out some of the UK buildings of importance. There are numerous places that could do with being modeled properly. For example Dover Castle that has defended the country from numerous attacks in the past. Now a very popular tourist attraction. Looks like a hotel. There are lots of other examples too.

2 Likes

Check out FSCreations on Reddit. People have already imported lots of UK landmarks from another well know mapping provider and converted for use with MSFS. You can download Edinburgh, Glasgow, verious stadiums and castles etc. And they look mostly awesome! You just place them in the community folder. Exciting times ahead for freeware scenery creation.

:joy: especially Germany, right? One hand crafted Airport, but only in the premium deluxe version…it´s the same in the UK, so I don´t see there any differences at all :wink:.
True, some countries got more airports then other ones, but that´s part of the game.
We should be happy to least have these nice ones included with MSFS2020, as in FSX there where nothing at all…

I don’t think the generic airports are too bad atm. Gatwick for example, seems pretty close to rl.
What troubles me a bit more is that Major structures are often shown as tower blocks. Castles & cathedrals in particular, but churches in general. I know these are marked as such in OSM data, so the info is there, if not the exact details. A generic ATC tower is used all over the place, so a generic castle texture & church with a tower could be used if not entirely accurate, to at least give a sense of the British landscape, rather than another small tower block or low rise car-park building.

These are major VFR navigation aids in my opinion & should be represented a little better.

4 Likes

Yeah the major airports in the UK in terms of runways and taxiways are way better than any default scenery we’ve had before. My issue with EGKK (Gatwick) is taxiway L is completely blocked; I’m guessing an auto generated building that has been placed there. In real life it should be a bridge to the other gates, would be nice of @AsoboPM just to remove it so we can use the taxiway for VATSIM etc.

Have you got a link? Cant find in seach FSCreations
Thx

Sorry, I meant FS2020Creation -

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.reddit.com/r/FS2020Creation/&ved=2ahUKEwjT4KLBg83rAhUCQEEAHd9RCdYQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw05T7z8llM1MHVXFzDUVZmv

2 Likes

Thanks mate!

1 Like

The more I’m flying in the UK, specifically English rural areas, of which there is of course a lot, the more I am noticing that every other farm building, house and village shop, is represented by a huge 3 or 4 storey apartment block, or what looks like a huge office block. This is really not a good look. Especially since their colouring is very light. It does only seem to be about a 50% chance that one of these will appear, rather than some more appropriate, generic low-rise building.

So has anyone figured out which files if any, can be tweaked to get rid of this blight on the UK landscape?

1 Like

so I wonder if the UK will get some love next? To be honest the UK is a laggy mess compared to some other parts of the world. Thoughts? Votes?

BREXIT effect :smile:

4 Likes

It does need some love…but it is becoming less significant with every day that passes, if you know what I mean.

As far as the sim is concerned though, you are dead right. EGKK, for example, hasn’t used 26R for years as a runway, only as a taxiway.

FS2020 still thinks it has two active runways, lol.

3 Likes

The UK doesn’t need updating.
The weather is always bad enough that you won’t be able to see anything. :laughing:

9 Likes

i would think that areas like the Alps would be a good next world update.

3 Likes

You might just be right!

Speaking as a Brit. maybe all we need here are just accurate fog, rain and thunderstorms for a true to life experience. :relaxed:

2 Likes

Please, guys, let Asobo decide. Honestly, I don’t care whatever country they choose.

1 Like

In fact, it’s a really strange country where you have to fly on the left side of the sky ! :sun_behind_rain_cloud:

4 Likes

Not a bad idea there but maybe this should be restricted to lunch times or tea breaks for a more realistic experience :nerd_face:

3 Likes