Unacknowledged Xbox Update 1.23.13.0 March 9 2022

that seems to be a TV issue rather than xbox. I would factory reset the TV, check for updates and see if there are any other users with good settings. BTW what model is your TV I can have a look for you to see if it is an issue.

2 Likes

impossible you need the same version for everyone online.
same with all mmorg games

The sim is running I believe at 30FPS on XBox. So ideally as I’ve found from PC side to even things out 60Hz refresh rate is an optimal combination for 30FPS, so VRR off would likely make for a more steady output in FS. Anything to lock the XBox into a steady graphical state. 120Hz and VRR are great for high paced 60FPS type action games not so much for FS. GPU likely working harder for no reason visually and may even be detrimental. I used to use VRR on my XBox X, but that was way back in July last year and well before I knew anything about how refresh rates and FPS are better GPU wise if locked in whole multiples 30FPS/60Hz.

Factory reset the TV. From what i have read it is the screen thats the problem, even MS say there is nothing that can be done to solve issues with this set. Personally I would go for a Panasonic or Sony set, they are the better ones on the market and very reliable. I have a Panasonic GX800 and it is really good with games. I noticed lag on your youtube videos when panning the camera around, this could be the delay with the camera usd but the lag is there. Apparently LG cannot fix issues with these sets and have released fix after fix. your problem may not be listed but the TV itself is full of bugs. Your issue could be part of those bugs.

LG C1/Series X issues
 : OLED_Gaming (reddit.com)

This may help so have a look and see if this guy cures or helps with your issues.
(323) LG C1 Settings for Xbox Series X - 7 CRUCIAL Things to Do! - YouTube

2 Likes

Does it really matter that much, though? I mean really. I got the update on my Xbox. As far as I can tell it has not degraded my performance. Sure, the usual issues I notice on the Xbox side are still present, but wasn’t noticeably made any worse.

It is strange that there has been no communication I grant you, but it is what it is at this point. For lack of a better phrase, and I say this in a non-rhetorical nor rude way, what’s the big deal? I think it’s clear at this point that it was probably inadvertently released and/or may be connected to Xcloud or the accidental free premium content in some way, so I would still say it is what it is. Everyone on all platforms are very likely if not certain to get a universal version update next week with the release of WU8 anyway, so this question will become moot.

Unless you’re telling me folks will keep demanding answers after the fact, for an update that’s no longer relevant? Just seems to me personally like this is beating the dead horse of a non-issue, really. It’s strange that there is no communication about it, but otherwise, seems like a big shrug.

Cheers

3 Likes

It is a fairly big deal, yes. It gave many users odd bugs, I have seen degraded imagery where before it was part of the London update pack and looked great, now it looks like a bomb site.

Personally I doubt we will ever get the facts on this update, been too long now, I also feel that the next SU will have a lot of bug fixes in it related to this hurried and secretive update, plus what ever was announced.

2 Likes

Ok so last night I calved and did an factory reset because of the stuff that was going on. Now after the reinstall and updates it told me I had 9 items installed and 7 not installed. Whew, I was like Ok goal succeeded ! Of course I didn’t turn on online functionality or bing mapping. I was like, okay fly offline from now on. Good to go ! I turn on the box this morning and we’re right back to 341 items installed and showing an airplane installed that doesn’t appear in the hanger. Where did the other 325 items come from that I didn’t install
? It’s like they just appeared out of nowhere whilst the box was shut off overnight
??? What the (you know what)
? The reset seems to have made the menu clicking faster but there is still the minor freezing over cities or forested areas. I guess I’m not gonna get away from it. I haven’t tested the F-18 stuttering issue yet, will get to that tonight. Busy day today.

Any ideas gentlmen
?

My TV settings 4k menu.

What version does your game/sim show? Sounds like you are on the previous version that had given all planes, etc for free.

Did you look in content manager to see what’s installed? Do you have some of the extras that would come in the other packages?

That explains a lot. Other games run really well with VRR not FS. I lock the XB at 60hz@4k and it runs beautiful.

I strongly suspect it was an accidentally pushed internal build, hence the silence and Microsobo completely ignoring any request for info about it.

4 Likes

On the PC side (so I can’t say with certainty if this is true on Xbox but I have no reason to suspect otherwise) there is a setting of VSync with choices of ‘60’, ‘30’, and ‘20’ “FPS” in the graphics options menu.
Now the thing is, that ‘FPS’ figure is ONLY true when there is a 60Hz refresh rate set on the monitor/TV. (Almost like they designed the sim to operate there)

So a more accurate description would be these options reflect FPS target of 1x the refresh rate (or just as high as gpu can achieve, as FS at 60FPS is a pipe dream for hardware even on top end PC), 1/2 the refresh rate, and 1/3 the refresh rate.

So as an example say someone has a monitor of 75Hz refresh rate instead, 1/2 refresh rate would be a locked 37.5FPS, 1/3 refresh rate would be locked at 25FPS.

So as it currently stands it’s just a badly labelled slider in FS graphics options.

The reason I mention this is if say on Xbox you pick 120Hz or VRR as refresh rate the probably preset 1/2 factor will go up to wherever the GPU can go to, but the downside could be the GPU needlessly maxing out trying to get there with stutters or jumps as it hunts around trying to sync to the constantly changing refresh rate (RR). If RR is set to 60Hz and VRR off then 1/2 refresh rate will very likely be a locked 30FPS and the game will be smooth and steady (or as smooth and steady as it can be). I have my PC locked at 30FPS/60Hz and it’s smooth too.

Now that’s how RR/FPS works on PC, I don’t see it being any different on XBox, it’s just that many of the options where it tells you anything about this are hidden to users on Xbox. I would certainly recommend setting 60Hz, VRR off, likely leading to a very steady in game 30FPS. Would be interesting to see how smooth it runs for everyone.

& wallpapered over with WU8 in 3 days time.

1 Like

I think it almost certainly was something like that, and I suspect 13 really IS the version folks were supposed to update to.

The only other time I remember Asobo being quiet after something was another instance where it seemed like it would be a similarly embarrassing admission. When cloud quality saw a slight downgrade on PC to coincide with the Xbox release. Instead they stayed quiet for months and only just began acknowledging their plan to improve clouds over the next few SUs.

So, yeah MS/Asobo are usually transparent. But when they aren’t, Occam’s Razor tends to point towards an embarrassing explanation.

In this case, I suspect someone pushed the wrong patch for release and they didn’t catch their mistake until folks were already downloading it. So they had to rush a quick fix to get it patched properly.

And I further suspect the current version on Xbox, warts and all, is exactly the version Xbox was supposed to get with the last SU.

And people with conspiratorial leanings are finding issues with this patch, and most of those issues they are finding predate the patch! :joy:

1 Like

I have Premium Deluxe as an update and I installed from my Xbox (2) DVD set.

The 1.23.13.0 version. That’s what I don’t get. 325 items showed up out of nowhere on a turned off Xbox overnight. It wasn’t even in sleep mode or connected online. Complete mystery. But when I shut it down I only had 9 items installed and 7 not installed. What happened overnight
?

I think this is the world update content, which gets broken down by item. Airports, Bush Flights, Aircraft, Photogrammetry cities, POIs
 etc.

1 Like

Do you turn vrr off as well?

Can’t even turn it on. Greyed out !

it depends on your TV used with Xbox,

Freesync Premium enabled TVs can get excellent results with VRR ON - what it is designed to do,

& excellent results here at either 60 or 120Hz refresh rate with MFS

1 Like

I’m running at 60Hz. It supports UHD @ 60Hz. I’m running fine so far other than the quick freezing over populated scenery’s and slight stutters (nothing to put me mad in my face lol). I can live with it because its intermittent at best. So as we have all been saying, MS’s mantra is : “fix it as we go”. :+1:

I mean it will work, but it depends on what FPS you are getting with those settings and what you are flying over/into/out of. FPS isn’t displayed on XBox so you have no idea what it actually is sitting at. Some people for example don’t visibly notice when frame rates dip to 25 say or vary and briefly peak at say 35 if VRR is on. All I’m saying is that there is likely a GPU premium for such a feature running. I used to run 60Hz, 4K, HDR10 and VRR on and I used to see stutters/pauses at times as well as those CTD’s. Maybe perceptions of stuttering/pausing/smoothness has moved since then though.

Setting smoothness on PC involves balancing CPU/GPU load (if you don’t you can CPU limit & get stutters especially during takeoff/landing). The next step involves tweaking FS for smoothness, which seems to work more optimally at 60Hz/30FPS (for me, and a few others). Now on XBox you don’t get to rebalance CPU/GPU as its preset for you and hidden, so the only thing that’s left to tweak is refresh rate to maximise in game FPS. I’d say resolution could theoretically too, but I suspect on Xbox X if you switch to say 1440p, FS would render at 1440p(native), upscale to 4K, then the Xbox X o/s would downscale to 1440p so maybe nothing to be had there. Which just leaves refresh rate & VRR to tweak.
Just letting you know that refresh rates on PC side can have a direct correlation to smoothness of FS frame rates, and I don’t see why Xbox would be any different.

If you are happy when your XBox is running at leave it wherever it’s at, but many are seeing potential FPS drops and stutters.

One other note is that SU8 made stuttering and FPS drops worse for some PC users, not sure what that’s about (luckily didn’t experience this), but reinstalls seem to be the only way for them to recoup that loss. Many are still trying to debug it though.

1 Like