Undervolting RTX 3080 gave me more stable performance

I undervolted my RTX 3080 and I saw increased fps and no stutters with everything in Ultra Preset and render scaling at 200% I wanted to share this because someone might find it useful

1 Like

TechYesCity has already done a comprehensive video on YouTube on this very point.

Did you just undervolt it in stock settings or did you also OC it?
Also could you please give us some values? Like Voltage@MHz?
Thanks

I’ve undervolted my 3900 (Asus TUF OC) but performance is about the same or maybe a wee bit worse than stock. In my case I need power savings as I have it running on a power supply that’s borderline so I won’t complain about a few frames to save ~100W. I’m also getting fantastic performance almost everywhere that’s not LAX or ATL so I’m generally pretty pleased.

Could you share some more details please? Interested to understand what you did. Thanks

This is a decent place to start…

But…why? I mean…why undervolt causes a better performance? Haha just curiosity

I have no clue… I’m just a pretend pilot.

Overclocking while reducing the voltage, that’s how you can improve perf while undervolting. More temp headroom too depending on the cooler

1 Like

why would that be? heat?

yep. Lower temps = higher clocks

1 Like

Undervolting is one good thing! It does really magic for me.

I undervolted my ftw 3090xc ultra hybrid to 875mV. This give me an absolutely stable 1905 Mhz clock, max. 60 deg Celsius on the chip, hotspot peaks @74 deg, memory stays@90, with an peak power draw of 104%/366W. That all @28 deg Celsius ambient.

3090XCU ist not top notch with barely no OC potential. The power limit is only 104% max.

With lower ambient the card boost often to 1920 Mhz.

So I am very happy to have a stable clock while maxing out the power limits.

Going a little further down to 1860Mhz@0,825mV (also stable) chip goes only up to 52 deg with an max. power draw of 295W.

Without this the card starts with an heavy boost to over 2Ghz but then starting to drop down to 1725Mhz very soon with ups and downs and very unstable fps.

With UV I have smooth fps with very little variation that is not annyoing anymore.

Not just with your badge. I have an MSI 1070TI Titanium and have made a staggering difference - after a couple of days of testing obviously - by undervolting the GPU and overclocking the onboard VRAM. You have to have a little patience, but a lot of FPS is achieved and it gains in smoothness of operation, and not only that, it also consumes much less energy with which the coolers work less and there is less noise because of them. It is a win-win!

I’ve just undervolted and underclocked my 3090 and performance has slightly improved. In my case it’s because my hotspot was maxxing out at 105 degrees causing the card to thermal throttle. By slightly reducing the voltage and clock speed it’s running cooler and no longer throttling.

This is likely due to a bad thermal pad connection on a part of my card, so I’m losing performance. I presume if someone is using a card that doesn’t have a thermal pad problem like that undervolting won’t actually improve performance, but given how widespread the hotspot issue is, especially on 3090’s becuase of so much VRAM, it’s likely it will help quite a few people.

The biggest win for me is how much quieter my PC is.