Uninstalling PG city files to boost FPS. What actually are those files?

I’m away from my install for a while but it would be interesting if somebody with these elements installed could track down the actual files and see if they can open them to see what they are.

Would they be 3d models or just config files which make remote database calls?

My question was as you do not switch off photogrammery, do these files return after having deleted them and then doing a flight.

i have Only 1 package that has “Photo” in it in the Content Manager (all updates installed)
its the “GOTY - 3d Photogrammetry Cities” package
** edited: correcting a mistake, there are 6 more entries in the CM i did not have the right settings to see **
so there is Not one per update (all the WU’s show and are named accordingly like so - World Update I: Japan),
it ‘appears’ to be a generic/global package that the CM shows as only 28.42 kib installed
still looking for where the actual files may be put, but its Definitely not ‘scenery’ per say, just not enough data on disk for that

maybe some control files that allow xx buildings to be blocked or removed maybe? like to prevent duplication or replacement of poi’s/w/e? idk

edit:
there is no folder in the official packages with “photo” in the name either, so its likely/possible these 30 kib of files just go in the fs-base folders or possibly in the user folders somewhere but i really have no idea

I too am perplexed by these ‘Photogrammetry’ files in the content manager, as I don’t have photogrammetry activated I’m tempted to delete them but can’t be sure that won’t be detrimental? I’ve searched for a concise explanation as to what these files do but it appears nobody really knows!

i doubt they do anything if your not using photogrammetry in the settings but like i said this stuff (streaming) isnt my bag
my best guess is they help control what is streamed in somehow

Hi there,
There is a new category in the forums called Community Support where people can talk about specifics like this. This thread has been moved there.

You have to show ‘details’ in the content manager so that each world update also shows everything that was installed along with it. I think there are two boxes at the top to the right of the search box and you select the box on the right and then search ‘3D’ or similar. Theres one entry for each world update and one for the GOTY thing.
also – photogrammetry is streamed but it will be stored in the rolling cache if enabled. When I first fly into an area not in my cache it all looks just flat - only aerial imagery…but as I fly the data will enter in squares around my position and tree data will be complete but houses will all be very short. On subsequent flights, more PG data will be downloaded to fill out the houses and over just a few flights the scenery will improve quite a bit… at least for me.
The PG also includes better aerial imagery in most cases that i can find.

They do not. To reinstall I have to go into content manager and download\install them again.

ahh thank you, that Did get 6 more photogrammetry entries to show up
so all told we now have 506.08 kib of files on disk here with all 7 packages

these again appear to be a global or regional packages in this case
i guess i was confused by the listing of specific airports that where being discussed, idk

1 Like