Unplayable frame rates over the north & south poles

Has anyone else had any issues with framerates over Antarctica,
Im trying to do a world tour, my next 18hrs of flight time is in Antarctica, however when i take off, my frame rates drop to approx 5fps?
I have changed planes and that mekes no difference,
I have no addons for Antarctica.
And this does not happen anyware else in the world.
Im on PC using steam version

Pc: amd 3600xt
32g 3600 ram
Rtx 2060super

Running in 1080p

Any help would be appreciated as this is frustrating.

I seem to recall this is a known limitation with the data available at extreme latitudes.

From my one brief flight over the area there was little to see and a wall of white at times really dropped the FPS. Good luck and let us know how you faired,

Yesh seen this before. Best off avoid it.

Flew from South America to McMurdo base on to NZ. Frame rate drops are common for sure.

Also watch out for terrain spikes/mesas in the interior, some of which extend up around 32,000ft (yes 32k).

If you do want a real confusing experience spawn in at or close to the pole (same for the North Pole).

Isn’t this issue caused by performance degradation over time? After playing a few hours, FPS drops from 40 to 5FPS

Mmm well i will just pretend i flew those legs and come back to it later i guess, sucks the immersion out of it tho.
Mabe if i set my graphics settings to a lower setting, i might try that n see.

Please try it. You could be the test pilot who found the loophole. Good luck, I might even give it another go myself,

So i moved my departure to another air field only 5 miles away from my original departure and all the issues stop?
Both air fields are standard Asobo feilds no add ons?
Frames rates are good etc. Weird?

Excellent…

I suspect it may have to do with the terrain datapoint density: I’m at latitude S85 right now, and I’m getting ~20fps (normally around ~80fps). The cosine of 85 is 0.087, so if datapoints scale latitudinally that implies that the sim is trying to render 11.4 times the normal terrain LOD.

If they try to scale longitudinal data to keep all mesh points square, then we’re talking 131.6 times the normal LOD.

Interesting point.

Flying into the polar regions is hazardous due to the sim’s behavior, fps will drop to unplayable levels and the aircraft will fly erratically. Way too many sims have this issue, it would be grand if this was fixed, considering the plethora of long haulers coming in the near future.

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

irrelevant

Brief description of the issue:

approaching polar regions above 85 lat will display bizarre behavior, fps will drop and aircraft will fly erratically

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

n/a

ICAO or coordinates (DevMode > Debug > Display position)

85 lat and above

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

fly above 85 lat and enjoy

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

irrelevant

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

irrelevant

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

As you can see, the issue becomes serious at around 85 degrees of latitude. So if this isn’t fixed all transpolar flights have to be done below this latitude or risk losing control of the aircraft.

Personally i got flipped upside down and sent in a 20000ft dive, that was interesting))