Unreal Engine 5 - Will we see it?

Whats the thought on UE5 - will we see it in FS2020, especially Nanite - might help fix the LOD / data issues we suffer??

https://youtu.be/cRLnR4Kot2M

No, we won’t. The game’s already been made.

Don’t expect a new engine until a sequel is announced. Even then it may be the same engine.

10 Likes

Then it’s high time for FS2022 :slight_smile:

5 Likes

We won’t get a new sim until the next console generation of the planned decade of MSFS is to be believed.

2 Likes

Yea, I agree with RedBarron. Asobo/Microsoft isn’t gonna change the engine on MSFS2020 that they already have in place. I mean UE5 is gonna be sick & all but this is a flight sim not a game so I’m not sure if you’ll ever see UE5 being used in a flight simulator.

3 Likes

Why not - from the city videos I have seen in UE5 it looks like a perfect match - great detail, unlimited polygons, smooth movement - just what a flight sim needs ?

2 Likes

I mean, I’m not saying it’s impossible. It could be used in a future FS perhaps but I agree with what RedBarron said in reply to your OP, it won’t be for this current gen of FS2020 that we have. Perhaps in another MSFS build a decade from now we may see that as an option but if Asobo/Microsoft is gonna support this FS like they did to FSX for many years in the past than it’s gonna be a long time before we ever see another build of a FS from Microsoft.

2 Likes

Imagine the inconvenience for 3rd Party devs if a sudden switch is made. They’re only just getting a grasp of what the sim can do now and how it works. We’d likely have to kiss goodbye to all the work they’ve done so far until they put many months work into making the shift over to a new engine, this move would crush them out of existence in all honesty.

1 Like

IMHO, 3rd party devs should be calling for UE5 - it will push any sim that uses it to the next level, visually at least, and in a sim, visual is a massive part of the entity.

What would happen if a company announced a UE5 flight sim in say a years time - interest in FS2020 would probably freeze in that instant as the new system was awaited eagerly - who would invest in FS2020 when that type of leap is coming??

Clearly I have no background in games/sim development, I’m just an end user that sees something amazing in the pipeline and wants it now :slight_smile: To me, anything is possible, especially where software is concerned.

1 Like

Devs are having a hard enough time getting little tiny minor issues fixed, much less a complete rewrite of the simulator :wink:

4 Likes

but that will always be the case, software development takes years, in the meantime
other stuff will improve and wont be incorporated.
this is not going to happen.

1 Like

Ok, fair enough but what would happen if…

again wont happen, it takes years to develop such a thing.
but if you believe that this could happen, easy solution, dont invest too much in msfs .
we have dx12 for quite some time now, where are the games that optimally use it…
.nowhere to be seen.

2 Likes

Oops, too late for that :wink:

1 Like

You realise that the Unreal Engine was made by one of Microsoft’s big competitors on the gaming market. I can’t imagine a gigantic company like Microsoft using the Unreal engine. They haven’t done so before as far as I know.
Basically that would be like announcing to the world: “Hey, we’re not capable to develop out own software engine anymore and have to lease it from out competitor. We’re going down! - FAST!! Please slash out stock prices quickly.” :wink:

2 Likes

Nope, but i do now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree that Unreal 5 would be a nice thing to have, but I can’t imagine it ever happening to MSFS.

1 Like

Has anyone seen comparisons of FSX in its early days compared to what it turned into in its current form? WOW! Still a pretty strong product. 3rd party devs, modders, Microsoft etc. really squeezed a tonne of potential out of that so I see no different for this and where this may end up.

If Microsoft was worried, they’d likely be making moves behind the scenes already as we speak. Personally I don’t think they’ve got anything to be concerned about for awhile yet. PlayStation and Nintendo I can’t imagine will have anything at this type of scope in the console space. PC will always be another beast entirely.

1 Like

UE5 simply isn’t designed to do anything remotely similar to MSFS. For example…

“Unreal Engine’s default world bounding box is approximately 21km², with player-controlled actors being automatically destroyed if they cross the threshold. Although this feature can be disabled to dramatically increase the effective size of a map, caution is advised as larger levels may lead to a host of other problems”

I’m sure UE5 has plenty of tech that could benefit MSFS, but even if that were practical (it’s probably not) then it isn’t gonna happen for a whole bunch of other reasons.

4 Likes

The design underlying MSFS is fixed and work will continue on that platform, engine and premise for the ten year journey. Thanks for the interesting thoughts.

2 Likes