Unreal Weather - Live METAR Mod

That happens when you damage the JS file. Probably, a misplaced quote or comma. Re-deploy the mod and re-enter your API token. Also make sure to use a plain text editor, such as Notepad or similar.

What do you mean by ā€œso realā€ bud? Do you considere because itā€™s placed on the right spot in the skies that TS are real now? I didnā€™t see TS so far since I downloaded the plug this morning so I wish there are some around to check it out! But if we have the same definition of ā€œrealismā€ then it means on my side that itā€™s not possible to fly through a Thunderstorm with a Cessna 172 anymore (MFS2020 is too gentle in bad weather that it is unrealistic unfortuanately) just because in TS there are some convective winds, strong updraft/downdraft, mega-severe turb that donā€™t allow you to fly a Cub into TS, in reality or in Xplane/Active Sky which is impossible to fly safe into a thunderstorm, which is the minimum of realism required, in order to create our flight plan based on Live-conditions-weather to avoid lethal exit! So if thunders are so real that is great for our eyes sure, good point but I wish that it could add the turbulence that goes with a TS in general.
I definitely wish this plug could bring this out, I didnā€™t test it deeply so farā€¦ I donā€™t know yet, it may be not the purpose, canā€™t wait to find a TS around but still thanks for this plug and for sharing it! :wink:

I definitely second that so far! I took off from EGPA heading to BIKL FL6000, it feels that there is such a better deal with wind/layers imo which adds some turbulence (turb in clouds feels more realsitic as well, am I right? at least more than with the Live-engine weather if Iā€™m right (just the first test) temperature/winds/pressure seem to be accurate based on the real data so far, very good surprise after only one hour of flying!
Thank you to the dev, keep up the great work!
Please make ā€œmyā€ TS as a very dangerous place to fly! :wink: (if itā€™s possible technically) ! I wish we must avoid CB for the danger that it could represent for GAā€¦ this mod is on the right way I guessā€¦

did you plan to make a more friendly user instalation version?
something like - put it one package into community folder and thats it ?? :slight_smile:

brds

1 Like

With the current version, you put a single folder into your community folder. The only manual task is to enter the API key into WeatherEditionMenu.js.

and I refer to this manual task onlyā€¦ :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Regarding the upper winds, they can be a bit excessive when it comes to turbulence and wind gusts. Yesterday I had a flight in the CJ4 at FL360 and sometimes the wind was so erratic the speed tape was jumping up and down by Ā±10 kts constantly and so fast it couldnā€™t be read. The aircraft was tossed all around. Can the gust wave setting in the wind layers be minimized a bit more so the wind speed and direction changes are not so chaotic?

When the station changes, the wind shifts are generally a slow transition. However there were a few changes that were instantaneous and caused an overspeed warning when the aircraft suddenly encountered a strong headwind.

Lastly, can we have a setting in the features subsection of the UnrealWeatherSettings section that disables the upper wind layers? Currently, the enable_wind_layers applies to all winds.

Thanks for your efforts in making Unreal Weather available to us. :+1:t2:

Yes, all that is possible, although I would prefer to hear specific details about this, not just general suggestions.

For example, you mentioned reducing gusts in the upper wind layers. OK, but by how much?

Another point: turn off the high-elevation winds. Should they simply be set to 0? Reduced gradually with the altitude? Something else?

Thanks!

Wow! Just tried Unreal Weather -Live Metar. Winds fixed, altimeter fixed, ceilings fixed, temp fixed. Anyone wanting to practice IFR like real world pilots, this add on is a must. Very professional presentation within MSFS weather menu. Many thanks to the developer for this free add on.

Once the garmin 1000/3000/5000 is fixed MSFS will move from an incredible game to an incredible simulator for flight training.

The suggestion to disable upper winds is to simply have upper winds at a constant zero velocity while allowing surface winds (lowest layer) to operate per the METAR. Since this setting is in the javascript file, it would be set prior to starting the sim.

Iā€™ll experiment with the gust wave settings to determine what range should be used and post a follow up.

Iā€™m a bit late to the party but I finally installed Unreal Weather and did a flight with it.

It was really cool to see the mod pulling METAR reports as I flew by stations, until I was close enough to my destination (SBFZ) and could plan my approach using real data, that is actually reflected in the sim.

We need to praise and support quality content, and thatā€™s the case here. Brilliant work by duesen!

3 Likes

Simply fantastic!! congratulations!!

Hey, great work on this. Now for the aloft winds, the only correlation between METAR data and aloft winds you might be able to use is the pressure. Northern hemisphere winds go counter clockwise around a Low pressure area, inwards the area. And clockwise and outwards from a High pressure area.

And the speed is dictated by how steep the change in pressure occurs over distance. Example if we have station A and B 40nm apart, where QNH at A is 1013 and QNH at B is 1012, the winds wont be too strong, if the difference in pressure is A at 1013 and B at 1008, then the winds will be pretty strong, and most likely going to flow from station A to B, as they always go from high to low.

I would be willing in trying to help you with this if youā€™d like.

2 Likes

They really do. I was flying out by KMHV today where there are massive wind turbine fields and the low-level turbulence was very noticeable with UnrealWeather pulling data from just a few miles away. It just tussles you around, giving the AP a run for itā€™s money.

You are amazing. I finally got fed up with the default weather when I loaded into an airport that should be 1 degree C right now and my plane was showing that it was 14. Just installed your mod and it fixed everything perfectly so far. Thank you.

1 Like

Does not work for me,

wasnĀ“t any preset on APPdata folder.

I have in Community folder pasted and get it with the token edited.

Wow! @duesen

Thanks man!

regards,

Steiny

1 Like

Maybe a strange question but why do we need to get some sort of token from a 3rd party website for this to work ??

2 Likes

Thatā€™s an interesting point, @Joaninha4185, thanks for the suggestion!

@patrickb1973, the data ultimately comes from NOAA, but AVWX does much much of the legwork for us. Thanks!

1 Like