[Unusable Sim] Unable to log in to sim after failed update attempts

Well, I’m at a critical impasse.

I’ve been trying to days to install the new 1.15.7.0 update in content manager, and now I have a new problem, and it appears there’s no way around it.

So, backing up a bit, since the new update pushed live, I’ve been stuggling with the download/looping/decompressing issue that’s all too common. I tried everything in the numerous threads here to fix it, tried NetLimiter, etc. Nothing helped. Every day after work I spent hours trying to download the update. Launch FS, download for 5 minutes, it loops, restart FS, repeat ad nasuem.

Slow progress.

Well, I guess my internet dropped (or something) one of the times I launched FS, and it said it couldnt connect to the servers, and was in offline mode.

Now, every time I launch the sim, it spins at a broken launch screen for about 30 seconds, and the loops the “Press any Key” screen. I press a key, it thinks for 30 seconds, and then goes back to “press any key”.

I’ve tried restarting the computer, making sure the internet is connected, etc. Tried logging out of game mode, and back in. Restart computer. I’ve even copied my simulator folder to a second drive to back it up, tried a verify cache in Steam, that didnt work. Then I tried a full uninstall/reinstall, and even with a fresh install, I still cant get past the “Press any button to Start” screen.

Im guessing I’m no longer logged into my account in the sim, but there’s no way to get to it during updating.

Any ideas? Or am I just completely screwed now. A full reinstall is not an option (without copying the backup files), as the looping issue remains a fatal roadblock.

Thanks for any help.

I also tried a system restore point to a time before this error, still did not fix the issue.

I feel like the only thing that might solve it is a Windows 10 reinstall, but I’m not willing to do that and have to reconfigure and re-install all of my programs and system settings.

This must be a Windows Xbox locking/credential issue I think.

Am I just out of luck here?

Thanks for any ideas…

Hi there!
I’ve moved your topic into the sub-category of the forum for Bugs & Issues.

There are some topics related to what you have:
Search results for ‘press any key category:211’ - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Thank you Hester40MT, I appreciate the help.

Unfortunately, I’ve spent the last 4 hours going through the posts and trying things methodically and nothing has helped.

• Made sure Xbox services were turned on - one wasnt, but still didnt help once it was
  • Cleared the Microsoft Store Cache
  • Made sure Windows and Microsoft Store were up to date
  • Tried starting Steam in Offline Mode
  • Made sure Bitdefender A/V had exclusions set
  • Made sure VPN is turned off
  • Tried sim with A/V protection paused
  • Tried the Powershell -FastLaunch option (couldnt find exe - likely cause i’m using steam)
  • Tried Completely uninstalling and reinstalling MSFS2020, issue persists
  • Tried logging out and back into the Xbox app and Companion App
  • Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Xbox app and Companion App
  • Tried System Restore point to time prior to issue
  • Tried resetting Xbox live credentials
  • Tried contacting Xbox support, but that’s not possible I guess. The only options were “chat with a gamer” or “post to the forums”. No phone or chat support available.

Nothing has helped. The sim launches, then gets to the screen that would be the “checking for updates” screen, and I get a black box (see attached on previous post). Sometimes the “lets get you logged in” dialog box pops up after a while, but I can never click on anything and it eventually goes away and loops the “press any key” screens, or CTD.

I think what may have happened is my VPN may have been turned on when I tried to update one of the times, and it kicked me out and corrupted something.

It looks like I just wont be able to play this sim anymore. :frowning: Now that’s a real bummer.

I guess I’m talking to myself here, but another update and still no resolution. I contacted Xbox support, and they didnt understand how MSFS2020 works, so they passed me to Windows support. Windows said it was an Xbox problem and passed me back to Xbox.

Unbelievable!

So I got a response from MS today saying to ALT-Enter to switch to windowed mode and the the sign on worked. I guess there is a bug where the sign on window that pops up doesn’t work in the full screen mode. It is now downloading. We will see what happens.

1 Like

I already answered this in your topic, but I will here too for others. ALT-enter didnt work for me, must have been a deeper issue with Xbox credentials and something amiss on my C drive.

Well, for anyone experiencing something like this, I have potentially good news.

Just on a whim, I tried again to uninstall from the D drive (working) and install to the C drive (where it used to work). This time, it worked flawlessly!

I did nothing new. :thinking:

I backed up the Official and Community folders
Uninstalled from Steam from D drive
Restarted Computer
Reinstalled from Steam on C drive
Launched sim - it went past the login window right to “checking for updates”
Put my folders back in place, and its still working just fine. Fingers crossed.

I still think this was an Xbox credential issue, that probably reset itself serverside. So…so wierd.

The moral of the story…do everything you can to ensure you dont lose internet connection when updating! And, if you have issues like I did, walk away for a few days and come back…it will most likely fix itself.

Oh, and Asobo is still looking into what happened and will update if they find something conclusive. I’ll update this post if/when that happens.

I think this worked for me. Started working after trying it