[UPDATE 1.1.0] FlyingIron P-38L Lightning

guys, i haven’t rudder pedals, and use twister axis for rudder, please give back option for taxi roll by rudder, yes we can use engines and buttons * and - but, please
p.s. i don’t know what that was, but now everything ok:)

Is there a manual for this addon online ?
I could be interested in a purchase but I wanna read the manual first :slight_smile:

Hmm. There is a 54-page manual that comes with the add-on but I can’t seem to actually find it anywhere online. It’s a shame, I wish all developers would just put their manuals on their websites, I’d think a lot of potential buyers would want to take a look at what all is being simulated before buying.

EDIT: Nevermind, dev just uploaded manual to their website! These guys are the best

1 Like

I’ve just added it to the website, so you can find the manual here: P-38L Lightning for Microsoft Flight Simulator – FlyingIron Simulations

or here for the direct link: P38L User Manual.pdf - Google Drive

Cheers

5 Likes

I looked through the manual, thank you.

However, I wonder if with the GN430 and the Autopilot is it possible to fly GPS Routes, VOR or ILS ?

It can handle GPS routes. Probably it could do ILS but I do not use ILS with warbirds so can’t say for sure. In tablet there is only HDG and ALT hold IIRC but I’m using Honeycomb switches/Keyboard bind/Companion app for NAV.

Thanks FlyingIron Simulations for a great P-38.

When I feather an engine and turn everything off the propeller keeps windmilling.

Is this how it’s modeled or is it a sim limitation or am I doing something wrong?

I would like to see it stationary after feathering.

Thanks, Ed

How exactly do wing fillets mitigate control surface flutter? This is news to me :slight_smile:

Flutter is a resonant vibration, so rough air just needs to get things started, then the condition worsens.

1 Like

OMG Ive been having this problem for months,I wrote to flying irons about this (of course they didnt answer me…) just to find out the ■■■■ windows were open :rofl:

During the war training was pretty good at letting pilots know open windows were a n-no. It seems in the P-38, you either froze your butt off, (ETO) or sweated it off (PTO). There was no in-between.

We have a saying for that and it’s RTFM…but don’t worry we are all there with you on that one, it happens to everyone.

Got this bird today. Great fun though it´s a bit annoying to trim it. I understand it´s nose heavy but I tend to have to trim to the extreme with flap changes etc to get it to fly level when switching from climbing to descending. Appear to be very nose heavy.

Quite a lot nicer then the really booring 310r which I went for first. This sound a lot better actually have some pace. Is naturally unstable which is fun. The pitch trim is the only thing that is a bit frustrating.

Also need to rtfm to figure out which key mapping add the speed brake flaps. It was not the button to engage spoilers :slight_smile:

If you discover which key it is, would you mind sharing? :slight_smile:

hmm it´s suppost to be spoiler afterall. Need to recheck :slight_smile:

1 Like

At takeoff the P-38 is nose-heavy and you have to haul it off the runway, but I’ve found the P-38 to nose-up above cruise speed and typically I have to roll the wheel down a quarter turn to trim it out.

When the plane goes into a compressibility stall while diving, the trim wheel moves on its own into the full down position. When and if you pull out of the dive you have to roll the trim wheel all the way up again.

1 Like

i guess if use anti-dive brake trim go up itself. btw i don’t sure it is not right because trims could be interactive with airflow at that speed. same general control surface(they are for sure)… ah. no. just thinking about it, if trims go interactive with flow they will go down physically so make elevator goes up:)… any way you can use air brake it was created for out from dive

Honestly, I think the fact the elevator trim goes all the way down in a compressibility dive is the sim’s way of simulating the compressibility. You cannot simply deploy the dive flaps late in the dive to get out of the danger. You need to deploy the dive flaps before the dive, or very early on. The trim change is there to punish you if you deploy the dive flaps too late, as this shouldn’t save you that easily.

Keep in mind that the dive flaps are there to prevent you from locking up and were not designed as a remedy if you get caught up in a compressibility stall.

i think after deep dive with negative aoa start grows, you can deploy but that’s will in the wing shadow for the air flow, and just will not help, but so far you have airflow under wing you can deploy them and they should help, this stuff give big climb momentum so i don’t think you can use it before dive. but must be have to use about in time or can be too late and p-38 will go to reverse loop or in the ground depend of alt

I had some trouble with ap mapping. For some reason ap is always on by default in a setting that affect the nose trim wheel only it appears. I managed to finally battle my key mappings to be able to completely get rid of the ap. But it´s still wonky if I switch to ap mode that enables the ap again for some reason? Some planes don´t have trim wheels then it´s hard to see by visual inspection what is happening if hud is not allowed.

Anyway flies better then ever and lovely noise. Was using it instead of a 310r and wondered who on earth would fly a 310r instead but then the engine(s) stalled simultaneously with no warning despite not going full throttle. Will require a bit more to keep this bird flying is there really no warning for when the engines start to overheat to look out for :slight_smile: