Update 1.16.2 : is MSFS now a CTD generator?

That’s typically the pervasive “I have BRAND X and had no problems, but you have BRAND Y and you’re having problems. That means the problem is BRAND Y and I chose the right brand so I have no issues.” In reality, most people with either brand aren’t having issues, and some are.

This is more a statement of self-validation than it is based in reality.

2 Likes

Just seems weird that it isn’t easily handled if they can see it happening. I recently wrote a program that uses two hd cams over a shuffleboard. The cams display a stitched view of the table for spectators. The program tracks the rocks in real time and automatically scores the game. It overlays a transparent scoreboard over the two stitched live feeds. The AI recognition and the video streams each run on their own thread. The scoreboard and UI are on the main thread.

In initial testing it ran fine. Tried everything I could to generate instabilities. Wasn’t until I left it cooking for a couple hours that it would suddenly terminate. I found that the sync allowing for the transparent overlay was causing the crash. Trapped it and simply had the update function wait for the next frame. CTD solved.

I am no expert. I would think an experienced coder would find that a pretty simple bug to kill, if it was easily repeatable.
I run an i5 8400 / 2060Super /32GB off a HDD. I have had one CTD caused by the USB bug back in Aug. I get 50+ smooth and solid at 1960x1080 with most settings at High or Ultra, Live Traffic and Weather (No AI anything). Is it my midgrade system that is promoting the stability? Why me and not you?

Maybe you overestimate the skill of the “experienced” coder?

Windows updated? If yes, consider roll back.

Yes, the dev version has been out since Aug 2020 and I would be interested to know when the stable version will be released.

1 Like

Windows updates are in very rare (and often very specific) cases the cause of problems. Especially if you have trouble with MSFS only and not other software and games, the cause is probably MSFS and not other external factors. I suggest we focus on what Asobo can do to fix issues with their software.

1 Like

No it’s not

1 Like

Yes. But it’s more fun for people to claim that a mod is at fault, etc. even when they’re not enabled rather than acknowledging that their is an issue to resolve.

Makes me wonder if they’re actually paid actors lol.

Yes there is: Event Viewer. as Kiiii3 says. After your next CTD, type ‘Event’ in your windows search at the bottom left and Event Viewer sholud appears in the list that pops up above. Event Viewer example:

This example ls suggested to be a NVIDIA driver issue.

1 Like

The feature must be activated by ticking the box under ‘Event Log Online Help’ before EV automatically sends an application crash report to MS. I’m not actually sure how you turn it off once it is activated though, as the message request no longer pops up.

I had a similar problem. Back in the day it could be cured by turning off AI traffic. The latest wave hit towards the second half of May. First off I checked the Reliability Monitor in Windows and found the reasons seemed to revolve around C++ (VCRUNTIME140.dll) so I updated Microsoft Visual C++ 0015-2019 x64 and x86 which seemed to help a lot. After that I noticed that I had inadvertently turned up graphics acceleration on my Radeon RX5700XT when I had been fiddling about. I turned that back to normal and everything has been fine since albeit it may well be a coincidence, but in my book, don’t ask too many questions and get on with the flying at this point.

Spent 5 hours doing a flight from Heathrow to Philly, i finally cross the Atlantic and input the arrival in the fmc to see my whole flight plan gone. So i try to input the waypoints manually and it freezes i can’t take this sim serious. GARB

Actually, this issue is anything but common…Very few players, in fact, have crashes. Asobo stated this and acknowledged the issue at the same time. It’s being worked on.

1 Like

I would like to believe you.

Unfortunately, the forum has many threads with many players talking about this. And it has been going for a fair amount of time. Posts also seem to suggest the problem increased over time.
Also, the proportion of active players is not known, neither is the proportion of players experiencing the issue and that invest the time to post in the forum.

In the end, it’s hard to know.

I do agree that the forums tend to artificially increase the apparent occurrence of the problem.

Ehm, no, you’re misunderstanding this. What I said is a fact, not an opinion. The head of microsoft flightsim said so, not me. If microsoft says that the issue is known and there are very few with this issue, but for those that have it, the crashes occur frequently, then thats the exact situation, no matter what we believe or don’t. They got telemetry to spot these things as stated by Jörg. Cheers and lets hope it resolves quickly for you.

The only fact is that a representative told so… Do you really think any MSFT rep would publicly say in a Q&A or a forum 50% of our user base is affected by CTD if this would be the case? In other words, I believe that whatever they say, it is no better than not saying anything and it should be useless arguing about it therefore isn’t it?

1 Like

If you say so. I am not aware of this conversation.
Thanks for bringing facts in.

I spent the entire weekend troubleshooting the recent CTD I’ve been getting after the latest update.

I love flying on Vatsim, but since these CTD I don’t want to log on and be one of the sad “radar contact lost” transmissions. This whole problem came to light when I started using Spad to map all my controls. This took a while and I didn’t get airborne until the start of this weekend and continued on my world tour.

I took off from Athens, Greece and headed over to Istanbul, LTFJ. All was going fine until just after I was cleared to land by the controller at LTFJ. CTD. Disheartening.

Tested a FBW flight from KMWH-KSEA (Boeing’s testing airport in central WA). No problem, landed fine. Stayed in the sim, and re-programmed the MDU for a flight from KSEA to KPDX. Flight was smooth up until final, just under 1000 agl. Sound cuts out, CTD. I was able to repeat this for a few flights, same CTD at 1000 agl.

A discord member suggested I turn airport ground items to 0. No parked planes, no airport vehicles, no people walking around. Tried it again. Was able to land several times. Hmmmm…This would make sense as when I get close to the airport, the sim would load ground items. If these items are removed… But again, this was never a problem in the past…

Even though everything was working fine after the latest update, I removed everything from the CF and slowly added back my favorites (FBW,WT,G1000,G3000,Spad Lvar Bridge, Navigraph data, AFC_Bridge for Bravo lights). I tested with live traffic on/off, live players on/off.

At one point the sim crashed when hitting Fly (same gate at KSEA, different airplanes). Cleared out the rolling cache and was able to get to the airport, but then another CTD.
Rolled back Nvidia drivers, no difference.
Event viewer provides generic fault with flightsimulator.exe

The frustrating part is, I can’t pin down a repeatable CTD (besides the Fly button crashing, and the KPDX 28L approach but that went away).

Last night I was able to do multiple flights in the FBW from SEA to CYVR then onto CYLW. (nice add on airport, I suggest it). So then, I started up Vpilot and enjoyed seeing a 737 Westjet in Disney colors parked next to me. Using my controller, I hit the switch to connect to ground power in the FBW. As soon as the button was pressed and the audio started for the power up sounds, CTD. Bummer.

Re-loaded into CYLW. Started up Vpilot again, Spad running in the system tray. Navigraph link also running in system tray. Was able to fly to KPDX and land on 28R. Stopped at the gate, MDU plot back to KSEA. Filed flight plan with Vatsim, spoke with very helpful ground controller at Portland and had a smooth flight to Seattle.

Tried to load into LTFJ, Istanbul, stock airport. Immediate CTD. Sigh. Re-loaded sim, started at another airfield 30 nm from LTFJ and flew there in the stock 172. Spad running, Vpilot running. My palms started sweating as I approached 06. I already had a CTD on final and the sim CTD when I tried to load into this airport. I decided to fly over the field at 3,000 and circle to land. Landed no problem. Smooth as silk.

At this point, I really don’t know what else I can do. The event viewer does not provide me with any useful data. The simulator dump files are a mystery to me as well. I have no OC on my brand new R11, 2080ti, 64 gig, fast CPU. Broken record here, the sim rarely had CTD before.

The worst part is the feeling of an imminent CTD. This is my favorite hobby and all I want to do is to be able to enjoy it without the sim crashing. I would understand if I had a super old computer, or put tons of beta add ons, ect.

Rambling over. I appreciate everyone on this forum. Together we may be able to weed through these issues.

So far so good here. I didn’t get to fly any this weekend, but I logged about 7-8 hours after the latest update without any issues except some stuttering, which wasn’t too bad the last couple flights. You have my curiosity though, so I may try some flying around LFBD, see what happens.

Read this: How To Get Rid Of CTD – flightsim eindhoven
Let me know how you get on.