Update has been amazing for me!

I’m sorry for those that are having issues with the update, but WOW. I have a medium ish… 8 year old computer with a little more RAM and a decent graphics card.
With the initial launch I was borderline setting it at HIGH END, for the most part it looked great, but I had many scenery loading hesitations (I was able to live with those) and the trees looked Ok but were quite right… cities looked pretty good, and when I flew an airliner I had much worse FPS, had to set my graphics to LOW for those planes, but I was ok with that…
NOW, WOW… everything has improved for me. I have not touched anything except for the glass cockpit refresh rate. I set that to LOW… otherwise I am still at default HIGH END graphics settings…
Sitting at Ohare it was … barely acceptable but I lived with it… also on long flights it would freeze up every 10 minutes or so (I assume loading new scenery).

I did not change anything. I have BW limit set to 40.

Now, after this update…
Boy the trees look much better, realistic even! I see very little hesitations when flying long distances! My FPS has improved significantly! I hopped in an airliner at Ohare and wow! No hesitations… Took my little Cessna for a long trip… not more stopping for 3 seconds to wait for scenery to load.

I don’t know how you guys did it but in my view, I say great job!! Thanks!!

EDIT: Sorry I must add in full disclosure, on the airliners, with the glass cockpit refresh rate set to LOW, it does update those internal cockpit maps with a much slower FPS (you can see it) but I say who cares lol?? I don’t fly around staring at those maps, I only use them when necessary. If it makes my flying experience better, I would be ok with 1FPS on the glass cockpit! Just needed to add that.

5 Likes

Well, you could have simply used the glass cockpit frame rate fix mod in the previous update and had the exact same effect :slight_smile:

1 Like

I feel bad for the jet pilots as they seemed to have gotten the short end of the stick with this update.

I fly piston props and sometimes turboprops. R5 2600X, RTX2060S, 32GB, NVMe SSD.

I got about a 15% boost in framerate and studders have been reduced very significantly.

Also CPU usage seems more optimized. More overall utilization and spread across more evenly across cores. With one core constantly near max.

GPU usage is up a bit as well.

Before ultra would kill framerates. But High End only ran around 60-70% now it’s more like 80-90%.

Also on the dev FPS display it bounces between MainThread and GPU more.

1 Like

Glad it’s better for those with older systems… truly! That’s good to hear!

I just wish those of us with high end systems didn’t have to get the short end of the stick. This is a AAA game after all – why can’t the game look amazing and perform amazing? Pretty frustrating in my opinion. The sim looks great about 80% of the time until you see the terrible LOD and pop-ins of buildings when flying over cities in airliners.

4 Likes

I am hopeful that they will fix all issues for those with higher end systems eventually. We are about one month into this since release. I understand some people expected a polished, finished product. I think this is going to be an ongoing, continuously improving, project.
I am excited about this. I find it refreshing that they post actual comments/concerns that people have posted. They seem very transparent. This is great.
All I can say is stay with it, and see how it goes. There is always X-Plane (another really good sim) and the P3D/FSX sims (still great sims!)… This is something that has really taken on a huge challenge. I don’t know, I’m willing to see where it leads.

Please Vote then
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/immersion-breaking-autogen-pop-in-effect-from-fsx/258193

2 Likes

I am very happy with the update too. Better fps and fewer stutters. I only fly the Airbus. Other than the APU needing to remain on to stop the engine shutdown its working perfectly fine.

Do you know why? It’s because they’ve reduced the scenery quality or the LOD.

Take a look at this thread and see for yourself.

I don’t like that they’re cutting corners to improve performance.

1 Like

I’ve voted… I also created a photogrammetry bug thread as I only saw a few but none have votes… yet there are hundreds of forum discussions on it.

If someone else has already done this, happy to delete my post/merge my post.