Update on replay mode?

One of the biggest functions of flight sim in my opinion, how close are we to seeing this much anticipated feature?

1 Like

So replay mode has been integral feature for practically every Microsoft Flight Simulator before. The status of Replay mode has been “Prototype” for the last 3 months. It’s scheduled to be released in 2021 but that could mean December of 2021.

December of 2021 is kind of a long wait for us, for something so badly needed in MSFS, especially if there is already a prototype of replay mode. Can Asobo give us an update on the progress of replay mode, and if possible, give us an approximate estimate in Q1/Q2/Q3/Q4 of when we can expect replay mode? (please don’t say Q4, that is a long wait for us, especially if the prototype of replay mode already exists)

5 Likes

They discussed this in detail during a developer Q&A a while back. They know about it, they’re working on it. It will take time.

Salty747 is also working on a replay mod, so maybe that will be here sooner than we think too.

I think they last gave an update on it in the live Q&A sessions about 3 months ago. The status of it has been set to “Prototype” for about 3 months. That’s quite a long time for the status to be in “Prototype.” I think it’s time we get a progress update from Asobo.

If enough people upvote this thread, then Asobo can give us a progress report on it in the next live Q&A.

2 Likes

We absolutely need a replay system, watching good or bad landing in slow motion and enjoy payware airport from a different perspective.

It’s a main feature of every simulation, why is not a priority?

5 Likes

Yup. Replay mode has been a part of every Microsoft flight simulator in the last 30 years I think. If they already have a Prototype version of it, I hope they can give us a progress update on how much longer it will be before they can release it.

1 Like

I’m afraid it won’t drop until DirectX 12 is implemented because that’s when smoke and other visual effects are supposed to be added. And it makes sense. Who would want to watch their landing without the tires making any smoke upon touchdown? Still I think some official clarification would be nice.

I’d rather not use an external replay mod if possible. The more mods you add to MSFS, the more unstable it gets and the more it CTDs.

5 Likes

I want a replay to observe and learn from my landings. Tyre smoke effects be added later and that’s fine, but I want replay now, not wait 6months till their Sfx aligns. Many I’m sure would agree with me.

4 Likes

I think Asobo can release a replay mode without the smoke and other visual effects. They can always upgrade the replay mode later, after it’s released.

2 Likes

They could but it’s get them a lot of moaning

I think, the replay mode isn’t depending on the smoke and particle effects. The effects are being generated, when the environment and the conditions fit. Weight on Wheels = Touchdown Smoke. Contrails = Humidity and freezing temperatures.

I guess, the replay system will not save every little part of the simulation to recreate it. It will much more let the effects depend on the actual environment in the Sim, like weather etc… The only data, that will be saved by the replay, is the aircraft position and the instruments and flight control states.

1 Like

The next question should be, why did they think that the product could be shipped without such a basic feature…

Anyway, I hope that they can update us on this topic.

2 Likes

Because it would have taken another few months to release it then. If I could choose today I would go for early release without it.

I think the majority of the community would prefer a replay mode that isn’t perfect, over not even having a replay mode in the first place.

1 Like

In an idealistic world, yes. In the flight simming community, the place would go bananas with complaints.

2 Likes

I agree with that. It would just get them more sim bashing.

The place is bananas with complaints as it is! IMHO, there are far too many features lagging way behind FSX in favor of VR.

Nah. Most people will be happy with a replay mode out.

1 Like

Yup, that is my guess too. Most likely, the replay mode just uses the sim rendering engine. So if particle effects are already in the sim engine, the replay mode will render that too. In any case, I’m fine if the replay mode doesn’t have particle effects. Having a replay mode is much more important.

1 Like