Update process

Hi there, in my oppinion the way updates will installed is very inefficient. Is it not possible to download the whole package at once and then start the installation process, instead of download, install, download, install,… of every single tiny file?

15 Likes

The update process is in 5 step:
1 update xbox app
2 update MSFS from xbox app
3 update MSFS in game
4 download WU fron content/marke places
5 update the content packages
U N B E L I V A B L E ahahah :rofl:

10 Likes

Correction :wink:

1 Update OS (windows) to the latest version.
2 Open ms store app, click library → get updates.

3 Launch msfs and update.
4 Download World Update VIII via marketplace.

5 Download updates via content manager.

Check the checkbox update availabe → select all → download.

4 Likes

Yes, all the different steps are annoying. But I mean especially the download process it self. For example point 3 in your list.

3 Likes
  1. Go to MS store library
  2. Click on Update all/get updates
  3. Start MSFS, update and download new content from marketplace
  4. Check content manager for updates

Done

It’s really isn’t that hard

4 Likes

Since 3 and 4 are optional, why should it be included in the steps? Everybody is saying that they want more control. More control means less automation.

4 Likes

Update game.

Then

Ask player if they would also like to add WU Iberia and perhaps, would the player also want to make sure all other WUs currently installed are up to date?

Yes

No

There. Automated.

1 Like

It is when the ‘ehem’ sim won’t even update.

1 Like

Or you press the button “Update”. I really don’t see that much difference.

and all that with a cr4ppy 15-30mbit instead of the available 970mbit fiber.

2 Likes

3 optional? You’re wrong mate.
What about mandatory update :wink:

I was talking about

:slight_smile:

1 Like

For me its:-

1. Store opened by MSFS for update, no update available.
  2. Open Xbox App to update MSFS
  3. Update them shows in store for download.
  4. Start MSFS to download update.
  5. Go into marketplace to download new content.

3 different applications and a multi-step process to get some new content. I don’t think I have eve come across a more convuluted update procedure than this game.

4 Likes

I actually assumed people by now would know that nobody is “forced” to get new content or keep their stuff (world updates, aircraft etc.) updated, so I included those steps. Guess, I have to dial back my assumptions :smiley:

I didn`t say that its hard. What I wanted to say with my topic is that downloads could be much faster if it would download the whole package first and then when the download is finished, start the installation. Currently the download stream stops for a short time after every single file for installation. Doesnt matter if the file is huge or tiny. And if the download consist of many tiny files, the download and the installation in generell takes longer than it should.

Its not the updates people object too, its the complication. It would be much easier if the downloads just happened within the game. And as Prayed correctly says, its a slow process when it downloads each file one by one.

2 Likes

One problem is “your” update package will differ from “my” update package. We can all tailor our installs, adding or removing packages at will. You would have to accept that everyone would get the full package whether they have those packages installed or not, then the installer would selectively install the updates for the packages you do have installed. The only other option would be for them to identify the packages you need, and a custom archive would be made on the fly that contained only the update files you personally need.

1 Like

Also, remember there are three versions of the sim in the first place. Someone with the super duper deluxe version will have more to download than someone with the basic version.

2 Likes

Yes, so having a personalised archive is possible, but tricky. I think the only realistic way would be for the archive to be built on the server, downloaded to the client, then deleted at the server side.

I agree that it would make for much faster downloads, but would put more strain on the servers by building 100’000’s of archives for every client that connects.

Why does it have to be complicated? Why not a file within the official folders that identifies what version of the game people have, that the updater looks at before it picks one of only 3 possible choices? I just dont see why it has to be this hard, its software, it should be easy enough to download the appropriate version within the game. They can still have the marketplace content of course, so that deals with peoples personal choices on what is or is not installed but core files is a different matter, we all need those.