Update RAM from 32 to 64gb

yes… windows itself do that… in DOS ages it was called SmartDrive :rofl:

you have obviously genius memory if you remember smartdrive :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well my performance plus after upgrading from 16 to 32 gigabytes of RAM wasn´t that superb and not as good as I expected.

Investing your money in upgrading the graphics card to a actual-gen card with 12 GB or 16 GB VRAM will give waaaay way more performance than buying some overpriced 700$ 64GB RAM-kit which will add literally nothing to performance (not on your overall-system and not in games or flight sims) :wink:

Well at the time i just bought 2 new sticks identical sticks as other 2 for around £150. For me i could see a difference i think the motherboard can also have an effect on things. it was enough to make my sim run smooth most of the time and gained some fps. Of course a higher end GPU is gonna make more of a difference over some ram.

I upgraded my 32GB to 64GB and have seen a great difference in FS2020
and all other Apps that I have running.

Windows 10 and I assume FS2020 use as much Memory as you have.

Thats interesting facts. I too playing on 64 GB but the mamory consamption is rather low, upto 25Gb but not more, and their further gonna cut down the maximum memory the game should or will locate. So its interesting.

it depends on resolution / LOD / etc.

But you also have to check the Resource Monitor / Manger ( Taskmanager → Res… ) and the “commited” value. This is why users with “less” RAM then notice windows pagefile usage, in contrast to your system… and pagefile usage is sllooowwww…

Yes, but I think that the system is also a factor.

In my case I have a powerful processor, i9-9900K and 64GB of 3600 MHz .
I have an unpowerful GPU, GTX 1660 TI. (relative to a RTX 3080).
I have a powerful storage, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2.

I think the amount of memory used will increase when I get a new
GPU, RTX 3080. (at MSRP hopefully)

Then, the GPU will then be un-throttled.
Much more graphics detail to display.

More detail means more GPU VRAM and also more system memory used
by the CPU to push to the GPU and then to the display.

I have seen 30gb ram usage in new york and london area’s I play in 4k 80 res-scaling have i9-9900k and rtx 2070 both oc’d.

1 Like

yep… only for MSFS…

In these example we see mfs requests 34GIG and together with other applications ( e.g. browser ) the system will 44,7 GIG. 64GIG RAM can hold it and no pagefile usage ( I set pagefile manual min/max 1/4GiG ). And there is enough “space” for cache.

1 Like