Update: Savage Carbon - STOL Realism Mod (v2.10 / Dec 27, 2022)

Toying with the idea of a Safari edition. Any thoughts?

6 Likes

TEASER

For the realism fans out there, you may look forward to the addition or improvement of the following in the coming update (v1.0.3):

• Gyroscopic Precession effect
  • P-Factor effect
  • Torque effect
  • Weather Vaning effect
  • Adverse Yaw effect (up to a point
FS2020 does not seem to do this very well at the moment)
  • Propwash
  • Much better ground handling (you can now turn on a dime)
  • Ground effect
  • Realistic oil temperature and pressure gauges
  • And a couple of more things I’m sure
4 Likes

Yes indeed, will go well on African safaris. The big 5 and all.:japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre:

1 Like

Stripe the wings as well.v​:sunglasses::+1:

1 Like

And the wings too
why not? :slight_smile:

GROUND HANDLING

She’s as good on the ground as in the air. Coming in the next update.

WHEELIES

DONUTS (+ STOL TAKEOFF)

ON A DIME

Never mind the Zebra livery - it’s a 5min draft work - no alignment whatsoever.

2 Likes

Yes please! And how about the same pattern with black and yellow? Tiger-style! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh I LOVE the tiger idea! On it :wink:

1 Like

Some quasi-military liveries might be fun, too!

1 Like

When I first saw this my expectations were not very high, especially after reading some the threads about third party aircraft issues. But I downloaded it anyway just to give it a try, I can honestly say I couldn’t have been more wrong about this plane. The time and care you have taken into the development and tuning of this aircraft shows off your talents.

My first flight was just a short hop from Sedona to Rimrock just to get a feel for her and was impressed. Today I took her up to see what she could do. OMG!!! I have not had this much fun in a flightsim aircraft in years. I haven’t tried a lot of aerobatics yet but what I tried she had no difficulties doing, skimming treetops, when trimmed out she’s straight and level, and she’ll fly inverted for quite some distance. But what amazed me the most was my last landing, she was almost hovering, 2 seconds tops after touchdown and I was stopped, no brakes. It was on a grass strip but still amazing.

Thank you so much for making this aircraft, I’m gonna have a lot of fun with her. Anyone questioning whether or not try this plane, stop, just do it, you won’t be sorry.

3 Likes

Are the aerobatic and inverted limitations built into the model? I’m not sure if the Rotax can fly inverted.

1 Like

I think an all matte-black livery would look awesome! Love this plane! By far my favorite to fly. Only thing that could make it better are some glass doors and 35" Alaskan bush wheels.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Like was said above:

Am I looking for a study level aircraft, nope.
Am I going to wrap myself around whether or not the aircraft or engine can really do something, nope.
Am I going to lose sleep if someone doesn’t agree with my opinion, nope.
Am I still going to fly this plane, yep.
Am I still going to have fun with this model, yep.
Am I still going use this model to de-stress and unwind, abso-freakin’-lutely.

Go fly, relax, have fun, and take your mind off of the bad stuff; isn’t that what it’s really all about.

Happy flying and stay healthy.

1 Like

@B0rn2BWild, thanks for your post, very happy to hear you love the Savage Carbon so much! Encouraging too
tells me I’m on the right heading, so I can keep going there. Thanks for taking the time to write such a nice piece!

1 Like

@MisterSilky The matte black livery
was on the back of my mind
but you now pushed it to the front :smiley:

@anon99207371 Inspirational photo too. Love it!

Only question now is, will it be in the coming update or the next. But it WILL come!

1 Like

Military liveries 
 yeah why not? Let me ask a teammate of mine on the VL3-915 project, I believe he’s already made a super cool one for the Savage. Fantastic designer, has made many liveries for sims.

1 Like

35" Alaskan Bushwheels? Is 29" not big enough? :smiley:

I totally wish I could do this, but I have no skills to modify the 3D model. If however someone can and is willing to modify the Savage Cub 3D model’s wheel size, then by all means, I’ll adjust the flight model (contact points, drag, weight, shock absorption, CG distribution) and we shall have big wheels. And your name will be in the credits section of this project obviously!

Are aerobatic and inverted limitations build in? I wish. The sim currently has no way to put such constraints in the model (yet). However
the plane itself, with its carbon skeleton and all, will have no trouble with inverted flight or aerobatics, being able to sustain a wide g force range (+/-).

The real limit in real life would usually be the engine. The factory supplied Rotax will be able to do some negative g’s for a short while (5 seconds are approved, to be precise). But then again, if you intend to do some more extreme stuff with your plane in real life, you would likely also mod/upgrade parts of your engine - like fuel pumps - such that you can do 30 seconds inverted :slight_smile:

Did someone say “Matte Black please” ?

Now I really wish I had bigger wheels. And I should probably get rid of the tail number in this edition.

3 Likes