Update: Savage Carbon - STOL Realism Mod (v2.10 / Dec 27, 2022)

Thanks a bunch!

1 Like

Been a while since any action in this thread!

Everyone must be either super happy with their Carbon (like me!) or are having fun with the Vertigo (also like me! :smiley: )

Quick question, is there anyway to adjust the cockpit lighting? For some reason the airspeed indicator and compass are super dark. I seem to recall being able to adjust light intensity in panel.cfg but that file seems to have changed a bit since I used it last and I’m not sure what is what now.

Cheers!

1 Like

Got Gravel Discord Server

https://discord.gg/4f3j4YgNm4

We have re-designed our server today (big-time!), hop over and have a look :slight_smile:

Join our ever-growing family of fun-loving aviators (2000 members):

• Bush Flying
  • Air Races
  • Aerobatics
  • Formation Flying
  • Choppers
  • Events
  • Flight Plans
  • Expeditions

SAVAGE CARBON v1.3.0

DOWNLOAD from FLIGHTSIM.TO

Looking for a great bush community? Check out the Got Gravel Discord Server!

CHANGE LOG

• “Generation 2” Flight Model (Super realistic bush flight! Includes Adverse Yaw)
  • Electrical system upgraded from 12v to 24v
  • Improved NVFR dashboard lights: added a center spot covering ASI, Compass and Turn Coordinator
  • Reprogrammed flaps
no more ballooning but correct dipping
  • All external white lights (landing, strobe, nav) changed to Aviation White
  • Improved default pilot camera for better visibility of dashboard as well as landscape

Note on the “Generation 2” Flight Model. I have been working hard on another aircraft, the aerobatic Gee Bee R3. Developing this has certainly pushed the limits of what the MSFS Flight Model can do and has taught me more than Carbon, Grravel and Vertigo combined. Hence I have redeveloped Carbon’s Flight Model entirely from scratch putting in all the lessons learned so far. Enjoy the new flight experience!

You’ll find the Savage Carbon in your hangar all the way to the right near the default MSFS Savage Cub.

BE A SUPPORTER

This Savage Cub to Savage Carbon conversion mod is free and always will be, but if you enjoy it and feel you want to contribute towards this project it will always be appreciated.

paypal.me/gotgravel

buymeacoffee.com/gotgravel

6 Likes

“Marge!”
“What Henry?”
“He’s at it again!”
“Doing what Henry?”
“Tweaking!”
“Does he ever sleep?”, Marge mused wearily as she scraped the ashes from the wood burner.
There was a long pause.
“You know Henry, with his talent, he could knock out a decent DC-10 in no time!”
Henry chortled heartily.
"Why stop there Marge, lets have 4 engines, why not the DC-8!!
“Indeed Henry, indeed. Piece of cake Henry!”
There was another long pause.
“Henry!”
“What?”
“You’re wearing my socks again. I hope that’s all!”
Henry sniffed and lifted his newspaper higher.
H&M

5 Likes

I have a question. No matter how long I go full throttle for, CHT or any of the parameters does not even go into the yellow zone
 always full green. Is that intended? I thought the max power was only available for a few minutes and after that I am risking loosing the engine? Does not seem very realistic. hmmm there is no way to tune that?

Anyway, that you for all the work. I enjoy flying the plane.

1 Like

SAVAGE CARBON v1.3.1

Carbon doing a Knife Edge during test flights.

CHANGE LOG

The recent Software Update 4 (SU4) brought with it a vastly improved flight model. Stuff that was missing has been added, and things that were not balanced well now seem to be pretty accurate.

This update takes full advantage of all this goodness!

• Execute the famous Knife Edge aerobatic move, at least for a little while.
  • Most accurate flight model yet for Carbon
  • Fixed trim balance issue
  • Aileron authority is back at lower speeds
  • Slightly reduced flap drag
  • Excellent balance of aerodynamic forces

You’ll find the Savage Carbon in your hangar all the way to the right near the default MSFS Savage Cub.

BE A SUPPORTER

This Savage Cub to Savage Carbon conversion mod is free and always will be, but if you enjoy it and feel you want to contribute towards this project it will always be appreciated.

paypal.me/gotgravel

5 Likes

@GotGravel so happy to read about the SDK blossoming
 ping me when you can please, I have a question for you.

C

As a vibrant hommage to this fantastic bird, I’m uploading this:

I hope it works and that you have as much fun as I did working on this!

2 Likes

SAVAGE CARBON v1.3.2

Carbon doing a Knife Edge during test flights.

CHANGE LOG

• 50% increase in shock absorber travel for all 3 wheels. Rough terrain? No problem.
  • Incorporated accurate Savage Cub factory data in the new flight model realism update.
  • Flaperons move exactly 25% with the flaps for an optimum combination of control and lift.
  • Finely tuned STOL wing properties based on the NACA 4412 airfoil.
  • Adverse yaw. Just like the real thing. Work those pedals!
  • Various other improvements across the board

BE A SUPPORTER

paypal.me/gotgravel

4 Likes

In the Xbox videos we se that float planes now generate white water when moving. Could this be added to the Savage Carbon & Savage Gravel

1 Like

With SU5 I see that the default Savage Cub makes white watter if you put the tyres in the water, but there is not the pushback due to Surface tension that we have in the Carbon/Gravel 

Ading some lines from the original Savage_cub.xml to the Carbon, I have white water, but I lose engine sound and the pushback when touching the water :frowning:

1 Like

Just discovered a bug (I think) that might have been introduced by SU5: When you switch off magneto 1 (magneto 2 still on), the engine shuts down. If you switch off magneot 2 with 1 still on, the rpm does not change.

1 Like

I must admit I was having trouble too - thought it was SU5. I had to empty my tanks (in the menu) to get the engine to cut out.

To quote George Jetson: “Help! Jane! How do I stop this crazy thing?”
I turned off the avionics master, both magnetos, and the ignition switch, and the motor is still running.

I just tried that after seeing your post. Oil pressure & temp and whatever that third gauge is all bottomed out, but the RPM only dropped to 100 and continues to run.

Unlimited fuel turned on?

It was initially but when I turned it off, that’s when everything dropped. Next time I play I’ll see what happens when that is already off before I drain the tanks.

1 Like

o7 carbon, you will be missed

2 Likes

Carbon is still available for download and will remain so (I know you guys love this bird) but yeah, unfortunately I lack the time at the moment to update my aircraft and mods as much as I would like. MSFS SU and WU break too much and too often for me to keep up with all my projects. Want to fly the latest bush plane? Go get the Savage Grravel, fly at 4000rpm and you pretty much get what Carbon is like, only updated and improved.

4 Likes