V2 UPDATE released! LATEST BN2 Islander available now from Blackbox Simulation

Sorry, just getting a tad excited. The Islander will be an excellent addition to MSFS. Really looking forward to it. I can manage two engines; don’t actually have enough controllers for three anyway!

2 Likes

Don’t rush developers, please. We want quality, not speed. You can enjoy the Virtualcol and Bredok3D for those.

10 Likes

LOL, that’s not what i meant so relax.

Only trying to express my amazement of, in my eyes, not so good PR.

Only promote it here, then refer to there social media… were there is no news or even mentioning of this project… even on there website… nothing… :woozy_face:

Anyways, still looking very much forward to this release. :sunglasses:

Marcel

1 Like

Marcel, I am pretty relaxed. :wink: I have a ton of great aircraft to enjoy while Graham and his team finish the Islander. Cheers! I am sure this bird will be a pleasure to fly as the Bird Dog is.

The ‘Bird Dog’ is pretty much my ‘go-to’ in MSFS 2020 now. It’s just a pleasure to spend time with - especially good for sightseeing flights - the fact it comes as 3 variants (normal, floats, and bush) is great value, too. And the quality of the product is, IMO, outstanding. Let’s hope the Islander will be of the same pedigree!

3 Likes

It’s funny - I owned the Dog since release and there was such a backlash against it initially. It’s amazing how far it has come, but Graham demonstrated that he supports his products way more than some others. It is an absolute joy to fly, I love it! I am happy you are enjoying it too!

I just feel that it’s filled with character. That intangible something that separates it from everything else and makes it feel unique. It’s an old rust bucket. One that I have come to love.

2 Likes

Definitely. It feels ‘alive’ to me, like it’s leading me half the time. I mean, if I just push the throttle all the way it will even take itself off! It’s eager, like an excited dog always pulling at the leash, but not hard to get back under control. It has character. :+1:

3 Likes

It’s funny that in another post (I think I am right) you have described yourself as not all that interested in piloting but just wanting to get up and go for scenery. I AM very interested in every aspect of piloting - to the point I am learning the old Russian RSBN navigation system now for the old Soviet jets in P3D… But I suppose an aircraft that is well-built and implemented in a sim can give joy to a very wide range of people - even though our goals aren’t the same, we both find it to be fun and immersive. I think any developer would (should) be proud of that.

Yep, I’m completely non-technical in my appreciation of MSFS 2020. I’m strictly here for the wows, eye candy all the way. The ‘Bird Dog’ is accessible to me (I use just an Xbox1 controller); it does what I want without a fuss or a demanding checklist.

I don’t know how it rates with the more technically savvy here (and there are plenty of them here), but Blackbox’s nifty little bird immediately clicked with me. It’s uncomplicated, good-looking and fun to be around. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

You know, I sometimes write you guys off. Unfairly so. Who is to say HOW the sim should be enjoyed? I love learning new systems. But that doesn’t mean everyone should. If the sim can provide enjoyment to a wide spectrum of users, it’s a success. I think that’s what they went for here and I think they have knocked it out of the ballpark. I will continue to look forward to my complex airliners, especially some old-school ones that are wicked hard to even start. You can continue to enjoy scenery. A plane like Bird Dog can unite us - it now provides just enough of the old-school navigation options to also keep cats like me interested.

Just curious - do you fly with a VFR map? Or do you use radio navigation? I suspect I know the answer, but still. :wink: Cheers, mate!

2 Likes

I rarely fly to any flight plan. Usually, I just pick a point of departure somewhere that looks interesting, or that I have specifically looked up on Google Maps and want to see how it looks in-sim. As for VFR or radios…nope. None of that. I hear the radio chatter, but it passes me right by. I’m too busy looking for the next epic screenshot. :sunglasses:

Any gripes I have about MSFS 2020 are almost always centred around deficiencies I perceive in the scenery (watermasks - the absence of them is a huge one for me). I want the beautiful coastlines, the breathtaking panoramas. Technically accurate cockpits, and pitch-perfect flight systems…? No, not so much. None of that honestly matters to me.

If I can fly it, it works for me. Take a bow, ‘Bird Dog’.

4 Likes

:flushed:

Appreciated

4 Likes

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?22507-KerrSpectives-The-Islander

I am impressed. Want it sooo bad. No rush tho. It is ready when it is ready.

4 Likes

The Same yes

Oooh I am excited for this one. Flew in Islanders when I was a kid in Brazil! Will be an instant-purchase for me, too!

One question: Is it better to buy it from the MSFS Marketplace, or directly from Black Box Simulations? I bought the Spitfire from the Flying Iron Simulations developer and the MSFS marketplace does not show it as installed despite it being in my community folder, which can be frustrating when keeping track of updates to the plane.

2 Likes

I would imagine it’s better to buy through MSFS 2020 Marketplace because it’s ‘fire and forget’ in terms of purchase, download, install and update.

I’m waiting for Cloudsurf Asia Simulations to release their Manila Aiport addon through Marketplace for this very reason, even though I can buy it from them now direct. I want the ease of use that Marketplace provides.

2 Likes

Entirely up to you BUT The Marketplace release will be a few weeks behind
Its just the nature of the beast !

Its still pretty much Fire and Forget with our BBS Webstore …
And ALL Updates are automatic

3 Likes

I highly recommend buying direct. First of all, all product updates are generally faster through the developer. They just email you and you download it. And second, it supports the developer better and more money goes to them because Microsoft obviously has a fee to sell through the Marketplace. I don’t know what that number is, but I have seen a figure of 30% circulate in discussions. So if buying direct supports the creator more by then not having to lose 30% of sales revenue, you can see why I would choose that.

6 Likes

Third, they don’t have DRM that blocks any serious modification

3 Likes

Fourth…it’s easier to manage your addons through MSFS Addons Linker or something similar if they’re not purchased from the Marketplace. Yes, that’s a big deal. You’re asking for trouble by loading all of your content every time you launch the game.

3 Likes