Update was supposed to fix G1000/G3000 Systems?

Want another one? Cool… I will step in and be unhelpful and antagonistic. This guy comes in with belligerent entitlement, downplays the developers’ response and is looking for pity. There is no need to feed trolls. He can go entertain himself. We aren’t here to babysit aggressive trolls.

2 Likes

Hey Folks, everyone take five, this isn’t really helping any more.

The bottom line is this - Working Title in the short term will continue to publish changes and improvements on their Github. Not only that, they are now a stand alone company which means they aren’t balancing their day jobs to live with their passion to code in spare time. So they are not yet beholden to the overarching release cycle for the sim at large. That will change, but for now, BAU (Business As Usual).

This is good news. But like any material change in life, it will take time. So - patience.

1 Like

Click the play button below:

2 Likes

I actually am glad they recognized they have a capability gap, and decided to take decisive, meaningful action to resolve it. Too many companies flounder trying to keep something in-house, sometimes just out of sheer hubris, instead of living the principle of fulfilling customer needs as best possible.

No one likes to be underserved, however, this is a human enterprise. Mistakes are made, evaluations are not completely accurate. This is nature. Something is being done to resolve it.

3 Likes

Oh mate, if you haven’t seen Working Titles stuff…you’re missing out. Have a google and try out some of the free addons available for existing MSFS aircraft.

flightsim.to

1 Like

The Working Title G1000 V0.4 Beta is…amazing.

I was sold on a very early version when they implemented flight path marker. Who needs RNAV now? I just aim the FPM at the runway threshold and follow it all the way down. Three percent glideslope? Pfah! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Finally… a bit more constructive explanation of your position. Thank you for that. NOW I will engage you.

Not that I disagree or agree. That’s irrelevant, but I think you ought to think about the scope of what implementing a more full-featured Garmin looks like. You have dedicated teams that ONLY do Garmin - look at developers such as RealityXP, Flight1, and finally Garmin itself with their trainer software. THAT is a software product ALL ON ITS OWN. I don’t think it’s realistic for anyone to expect Asobo to tackle such a massive endeavour, which certainly explains why they hired Working Title to do it - it’s not a matter of capability in terms of talent - but it requires expertise in the product and avionics field which Asobo will be the first to tell you they don’t have. And that’s OK! You can’t be jack of all trades. They could either hire and train a whole bunch of people and create a “Garmin Department” to tackle this or just hire an outside team that already possesses the development ability AND aviation experience, which is what they did. I really think it was a VERY smart move that has a potential to pay off in a very substantial way.

1 Like

Working Title have made what are arguably the best mods for the sim so far. They’re a dedicated bunch of programmers who are also pilots, so they actually know their ■■■■. Since shortly after launch, they started releasing their G1000, G3000 and G3X mods that transformed the very basic, barely functional, cartoonish mockeries of the Garmins Asobo had developed into proper, working versions.

They revamped the look of them as best they could (within the confines of Asobo’s HTML/JS sandbox), added a ton of real world Garmin functionality, and just made them a whole lot better. Unfortunately, the buggy underlying Asobo code was still there, and their Garmins were just a new face on that. While they did manage to fix some of the bugs in the stock Garmins, there were some they just couldn’t fix.

Honestly, if you haven’t been using the G1000 and G3000 mods to fly with, you’ve been doing it wrong. lol

Also, they basically revamped the once underwhelming CJ4 and modded it into a fully functional, complex, near study level jet. Their latest release of it even has a completely re-writted nav system that bypasses Asobo’s stock code. Their original plan was to port this new code to their Garmins before they struck this deal with Microsobo.

What I expect in the long term is that we’ll see this new “engine” find its way into the sim and replace the default, bug-ridden nav system we currently have, followed by proper versions of the G1000 and G3000 that far more closely match reality than the watered down, barely usable stock ones we currently have.

This last part is why people are so excited about this. I think outside of the most stalwart Asobo supporters and the Asobo White Knight Brigade, most people have realized that Asobo doesn’t have the expertise in house to properly fix the Garmins in any reasonable time frame. And it seems that Microsoft also saw this, and they brought in who they considered to be experts in that subject - talented programmers with actual real world piloting experience who are intimately familiar with these systems.

Seeing what the WT team have managed to do in their spare time as a hobby and how responsive and productive they were, I can only imagine what they’re capable of when in a position where this is now their full time job.

EDIT: This is most likely why we got next to no Garmin improvements in this release despite the fixes being scheduled for this release. MS knew that by hiring on the WT team, any work that Asobo did would essentially be tossed out the window in the next release or two of the sim, so it was a waste of resources to tackle it at all.

5 Likes

You could use the existing WT G1000 mod I think too

The WT mods bring a lot of extra real world features not present in the stock Garmins. If you’re not using them in MSFS, you’re really missing out.

However, they still use Asobo’s nav system and flight planner code under the hood. And that’s riddled with bugs and broken functionality. The WT fixes a few of those, puts on a fresh paint job, and makes using it more bearable, but the worst offender issues are still there.

He’s actually right. If you want a real world Garmin experience where the G1000 works just like the real thing, you currently can’t get that in MSFS. Not even close. Not even with the WT mods, despite them taking us at least partways there.

3 Likes

That’s fair - but if you want to continue to use MSFS, they are far and away the best option - that was all I was calling out really

I’m in 100% agreement with you on that. Like I said in an earlier post - if you’re flying Garmin-equipped planes in this sim and NOT using the WT mods, you’re doing it wrong. lol

There’s a good reason Microsoft brought them onboard to take over the Garmins from Asobo.

1 Like

G1000 3.4 (current WT release) is compatible with SU 3. Confirmed on their Discord Server channel.

1 Like

Agree completely on this point. I think the tricky part for them would have been that at some point over the last couple of months, when building Sim Update 3 (I’m assuming branched/parallel dev paths here, given their comments in the Q&A) they would have known/been in discussions about the WT deal. They were then stuck. They would know there would be no point in improving the Garmins in SU3, but at the same time couldn’t make that public becuase no doubt the WT deal took a bit of negotiation and finessing. Hence it feels like a disappointment for SU3 - but hard to see what else they could have done (other than do the WT deal a few months ago :grin)

The question that remains is when did they hatch the plan to bring WT on board? Maybe that was started months ago, but they couldn’t pull it off that quickly. At what point did they decide the Garmins were too much for them? Could even be as far back as when they admitted they needed to change direction on the Garmins. I suspect that having decided they wanted to beef up the Garmins, they’ve focused on who they should partner with and making that a reality - I doubt they tried to improve the Garmins and decided half way through that it was too hard. But I’m just guessing.

Yup, I think that’s exactly how it went down. And this could easily have been mitigated by effective communications. Even saying nothing but pushing the Garmin updates to the next sim update, which is realistically the earliest I think we can expect to see any significant Garmin changes, would have helped mitigate the disappointment in this patch.

I think negotiations may have started back in late December / early January. That was about the time we saw the G1000 development come to a halt and G3000 slow down a bit. Up until that point, the WT guys had been pretty forthcoming about their future plans. They were very heavily touting their new nav system / flight planner (whatever it’s called) developed for the CJ4 and how they were planning on bringing that to the Garmin products as well. And then suddenly, silence.

It was in about the late January time frame that questions about future plans to their mods were always replied to with “we have something in the works, but we can’t talk about it”. So that’s likely about the time the wheels went into motion into making this happen.

All good points. Only thing is that I think Asobo feared a backlash if they had pushed the garmin work back to SU4 as they would have been right in the middle of the WU3 delays

You know, I think if they would have pushed it back in last week’s road map, then in the Q&A yesterday made their announcement saying they pushed it back because of bringing on the WT team to work on it, that would have been very well received.

Initially last week people would have been upset, but far less than expecting a ton of awesome Garmin changes this patch as they’ve been promising for months and essentially receiving a kick in the nuts instead when the patch dropped.

2 Likes

Only speculation, but I believe the reason they didn’t follow through on their promise of fixing the Garmins is because they knew that once Working Title guys were on board, they’d be the perfect team to work on this project as they have a successful track record of exactly that. Unfortunately the timing wasn’t ideal, but let’s hope for the best.

1 Like

Yup, we’ve already pretty much come to that conclusion as you’ll see if you read the 5-ish posts right above yours.

1 Like

Oh I think we have enough space to have another 12 people post the same conclusion…

2 Likes