[Updated] Arrows Across America: fly the US Air Mail routes 1926 - 1934

And at the other end of the scale, a couple of CAM8 emergency landing fields in the mountains of Oregon are also taking shape…

Cow Creek

Grave Creek

9 Likes

And I did the first part of CAM18, San Francisco to Salt Lake City to make a big almost 2,000 mile long loop. I was gonna have a bit of a break after finishing off 8 down to San Diego but the power of the Beacons compelled me. I’m definitely taking a break from new routes for a few weeks now though. Time to bugfix and polish up what we have so we can get something released!

Also made a ghetto two-tailed beacon out of small foundation parts we have modelled. It’s a beacon where two routes combine to become one, which is how baby beacons are made.

Bit crude but I’m surprised it came out looking half decent!

14 Likes

This is what we are aiming for.

Based in available drawings

8 Likes

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!

2 Likes

@RobCap1966 - we are definitely going to need some period cars and trucks to go with it!

3 Likes

Cow Creek Intermediate Landing Field, Oregon - now with added cows…

10 Likes

The circuit breakers do work?
Study-sim cows, right?
With GPS?

2 Likes

Oh yes, definitely study level cows. And there might even be a caretaker’s cat to keep the birds and rodents off the runway… :wink:

2 Likes

Not to forget the study level generator failures.

1 Like

Cannot wait to test this!

2 Likes

The routes. Not the cows.
I’m more of a cat guy - if it’s not meowing, I’m not geoing… sort of.

4 Likes

Cats are definitely where it’s at - now I have found them, each ILF might get its own mouser…

2 Likes

Sundown at the San Diego International beacon on the new CAM8 route, from @Floxxtrot, one of our beta testers.

9 Likes

Gents, just saw this in YT suggetion box.

6 Likes

Hi Waldo, thanks for posting - @TCPD5091 the creator got in touch with me about making it and we were just messaging about it.

Word of the airmail spreads!

5 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing the video. This is a very fascinating part of aviation history. Here is a video about lighted airways I made a year ago. (1) Lighted Airways: Navigation before VORs and Victor Airways - YouTube When this video was being made, it looked like just one lighted airway beacon was still in service outside Helena, Montana. Does anyone know if it’s still in service?

2 Likes

As far as we have been able to tell, a small number are still functioning in Montana, albeit subject to budget cuts.

3 Likes

Hi all, I have just seen that we hit 900 downloads on flightsim.to earlier this afternoon (UK time!).

Thanks to everyone that has supported the project - when we started out I would have been pleased with 100 :grinning:

It is great encouragement for us to bring you Version 3…

900 downloads 24 Jan 2023

12 Likes

My dad and I have been having a good time winging up and flying the route together from Salt Lake City up to Washington.

It’s funny, but flying in an appropriate plane for the route is too slow for my dad, so after a while, I gave in, and we flew F-18s for the next part of the route, which is a plane that I’m pretty sure the original pilots did not have access to.

Meanwhile, it’s pretty challenging trying to spot which way the next arrow is pointing when you blow past it inverted at Mach 1 with full afterburners. Our customers are going to receive their mail in record time, though… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Brilliant!