Updated today - now can't launch!

i have the same problem

EDIT - just had a thought. If someone that can’t launch MSFS can try the below anyway to see if maybe Gaming Services is the culprit. If you don’t see Powershell in the menu simply search for it then right-click and run as Administrator

Just for anyone else that might have uninstalled and can’t reinstall due to error 0x80070424… I gave it one last go and did some searching online and found the solution to that in this thread: FS installation borked, can't re-install due to 0x80070424 error (now fixed!) - #35 by Managite

That solution being this part:

1. Right-click the Start button  in the lower-left corner of the main screen, and then select Windows PowerShell (Admin).

2. In the Administrator: Windows PowerShell screen, type the following command and press Enter:

3. get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers

4. In the same window, type the following command and press Enter:

5. start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN

6. Install the app on that page, and select Yes when you receive the User Account Control (UAC) prompt.

7. Restart your device, and try to install the game again.

Now it launched and is redownloading 125+gb of updates.

I have been messing around with this problem for 4 days! Exactly as stated by the author, and others. And I have done everything above, and anything else I can find on the net.The only difference is that usually mine is updated via MS Store. This time, MS Store tells me I have to update via Xbox App. THIS IS NOT WORKING FOR A LOT OF US - FIX IT. I am at a last try now before I ditch this beautiful sim and go back to P3D. At least I could fly, which surprisingly, is the main object of having the sim. I have now spent more time trying to fix things than actually enjoying MSFS. I think I have joined the ranks of those people who enjoy pain (masochists?). My last try is that I have put in a ticket to Zendesk (MS Help told me they can’t help me, only MSFS Zendesk). Update: 24 hrs No response yet.

1 Like

i played a few days, no luck, very choppy and just lousy. Now, today , i cannot get past the opening screen with out a desktop crash. This thing is an absolute mess.

1 Like

Just wondering if you tried the gaming services removal/reinstall I posted in my last reply on here. I made the mistake of using “Reset” under Apps->Advanced Options and that erased the game from my system so I had to go through a reinstall. But I’m wondering if the game wouldn’t launch because Gaming Services corrupted. They definitely have the absolute worst update system I’ve ever come across. I think going forward I’m going to make a disk image backup before each update.

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I have re-installed Gaming Services at least 5 different times - each time I have another go at this issue. Agreed, their update system sucks. I do not know why they made me go to Xbox App to update instead of MS Store as previously. Problems updating there too, but at least it eventually came right. Now, I can’t get anywhere with Xbox App, and of course, no choice! Seriously, I just re-installed P3D and will be using that permanently if this isn’t fixed soon. Shame, because MSFS is far above P3D or anything else out there. My intent is to fly the sim, not fix it!

1 Like

Update: Zendesk responded with same instructions as I told them I already performed. They are looking into it further. Thank you for responding, Zendesk - I believe you are taking this as seriously as it is.

1 Like

I share sentiment of many in this thread, re-installed this game more times than i’ve used it. On V1.21.13.0 now and it doesn’t work at all. 10 minutes to get to welcome screen, then nothing, after a complete uninstall and re-install. ryzen 7 5800H, 16gb tram and tons disk space. Its appalling, pathetic and laughable.

and just a few posts back you said you was quitting, which i thought was quite sensible.
i am less liking to fly, weather , traffic and atc needs real fixes.

Like I said, I decided to give it one more shot and give one last Google of the error and read a few threads/posts. The gaming services reinstall allowed me to reinstall the Sim. Surprisingly it kept all my control profiles (did keep them last time and I’m sure it’s cause it’s stored under the user profile folder) but it also kept all my landing challenge progress. Last time it showed zero percent progress. I only had to reset my default camera positions for each plane.

I’m a pretty persistent punk lol. If the gaming services thing didn’t work then yes I would’ve just finally given up. Been working OK since but there’s still the usual batch of glitches, bugs, and oddities to deal with. Going forward I am going to make an image of the drive before each update!

I’ve tried that Gaming Services reinstall over and over. Still stuck at the Checking for Updates screen. Just reinstalled W10 and went through whole process again. Still same. So far, no wise words from Zendesk. In the meantime, I have re-installed P3D so I can do what I wanted to do - fly the sim, not fix it. Seriously, I feel like giving up simming, but many $$ invested makes me cringe at that thought. I am pulling my last straw now - if this doesn’t get fixed in next week or two, bye,bye MSFS. What a shame, I think it is great WHEN IT WORKS. Zendesk, where are you? Do you not see that this problem is real???

1 Like

SOlVED - I finally got this working! Here’s what I did: I figured something is stopping me from getting past the Check for updates screen which must be on my PC as most others don’t seem to have this issue. So, I searched for and deleted everything I could find even slightly related to “Flight Simulator”. I noticed that the Official folder was lurking on the drive dedicated to MSFS, so I deleted that too.
Then, I deleted Gaming Services and XBox App Then I used CCleaner to delete any relevant entries from the registry.
Then, reinstalled Gaming Services and XBox App and of course, MSFS from the App. And I fell off the chair as it went past the Checking screen and allowed me to install the Update 7! I just finished a great flight - first one in 3 weeks!
I hope this may help someone else.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.