Updating the sim is too complicated (too many steps)

This how I updated my sim to the latest France/Belgium/etc. Update (World Update 4):

1. Update the sim via the Microsoft App Store (appr. 1.2GB)
    1. Start the sim and let it detect available updates during loading (appr. 22GB)
    1. Go to the content manager and search for updates of already installed components (appr. 120MB)*
    1. Go to the market place and search for the free World Update 4 to “buy” and install it (appr. 5GB)
    1. get rid of unwanted partts of the sim update 4 via the content manager (bush trips, landing challenges, liveries)

(*120MB Update for already installed components from Microsoft/Asobo. I only had this small download size for these components because I removed all airplanes and liveries that I don’t use. I basicly have only the Cessnas, TBM900 and FBW A320 installed (Basic A320 uninstalled as it cannot stand up to the FBW mod). All bush trips and flight lessons have been removed by me. Just the world updates and mentioned aircraft remain on my hard drive.)

I am not complaining about the files sizes and I don’t argue about download times as this is my problem.

But to update the sim it takes the 5 above mentioned steps. These should be combined into 1 step. I suggest putting all kind of future updates into the content manager. This would also have to advantage that users can select which parts of the update they want to install to avoid downloading one big file which they have to sperate after installation by removing unwanted components (for me liveries).

So Asobo can you please make updates easier!? It is already hard to differ sim updates, world updates, patches, hotfixes, ever changing year numbers, TBA, fixes being split into several updates, claimed fixed bugs which are still present but being ingnored… If you have to come up with a “key” explaining your update plans things obviously are way to complicated.

I mean: Where’s the difference between “partially fixed” and ongoing!? Either a bug is fixed or not. I’m a real world aircraft technician. If I sign off a tec complaint as “partially fixed” I’m pretty sure the captain will entirely not fly!

All updates should either be doable in the sim or be prompted by it. I shouldn’t have to go “what the heck?” when I see the profile tab is blank and then stumble around until I figure out that I need to download an update from the Microsoft Store.

1 Like

Hi all!
I have moved this topic into the #self-service:wishlist subcategory. As a reminder, you can also use Zendesk for suggesting Features, Changing or for Feedback using the drop down; in addition to up voting this topic.

Zendesk:
https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thank you!

I agree…too much steps! Once the sim detects that there is an update, it should do all automatically

1 Like

The strange thing is that my MSFS install is less always less than 82GB.
Since I’ve experience my first indefinitely looping problem, I deleted MSFS and reinstalled it which meant 147GB.
I did assume that it installed everything again, but this didn’t happen.
After the 147GB download had finished, the installed size was again 82GB.
No idea what happened to the other 65GB…

If your sim is able to start have a look in the content manager. You can filter all available items for “installed” and “not installed”. It is indeed strange that you are missing 65GB. Maybe some config file remained on your system and the sim knew which parts you used to have and only installed these.

Nevertheless you had to wait for some unwanted/not needed 65GB to download which is quite a lot even on fast internet connections.

This is why I recommended to Asobo to change the update philosophy.

Thats because the updates replaces a lot of previous content. So, your download was 147, but replaced 65 and added 82.

Come on AS/MS… download and run the installer…download and run the update…then Marketplace and download and install more updates…there HAS to be a better way! It’s bad enough having to sit through the normal loading process.

2 Likes

I think I updated to the last version…but I am not sure! lol

Come on MS/Asobo…it does NOT have to be this difficult…time consuming…frustrating!!!

I start 2020 to get the update… and I get a screen that gives me a RE_INSTALL option ONLY! Now I know it is already installed because I can see the files…

So I close 2020 and re-open it and now I have the Mandatory update link… I click it and wait, and wait, and wait…you get the idea…20 minutes or so later it’s finished… NOT

Once that completes off I go to the actual Australia download and another 20-30 minutes

Oh ya, once thats done it’s off to the Content Manager for another 7 separate updates to files

Total time…close to an hour… and I have a pretty fast internet connection!

REALLY??? This is the best you can do??? I am really missing FSX about now!

8 Likes

Just an hour. I leave mine overnight

3 Likes

I have never any problems, it runs as it should and take app 30 min for all updates. That is fine for me

6 Likes

I think my time to download is more to do with PlusNet isp. Switching to station to door fibre optic later this year🤞

1 Like

I have to admit the “updating” make we frustrated, Sometimes when i go to the store there is an “Update” button waiting for me. Othertimes (like yesterday), it only has the “Play” button which won’t let you play as there is a mandatory update !

Yesterday it briefly showed the “update” button but then changed to “Play”. The update did then applied and installed when I clicked on Play but now I have the issue of the World Update for Australia not showing in my content manager…

I get it is a complicated piece of software (service) but it needs to be simpler.

1 Like

Update was an utter breeze for me , 20 mins and was all done no ctd’s or stuck in loop issues
probably best update i had

6 Likes

world update doesn’t show in content manager it is in Market place it always has

I do think the update process should be more simple.

Yesterday, for the WU7 update I had to download updates from three different areas.

1. XBox store update for the game

2. Marketplace update (WU7)

3. Content Manager updates for updates to previous WU.

Can this not be simplified into one update?

The store (or steam) update is clear, it updates the application itself.
The mandatory update is as its name say the mandatory things (e.g. improvements to existing stuff, the more you have installed the longer it takes)
The WU is an additional step from the market place, because you maybe simply don’t want it. So if you don’t plan to do something in Australia, you can skip it and save disk and startup time.

I think this is okay. And especially yesterday, download speed was really acceptable.

2 Likes

On my weak 4G connection (about 50 Mbps) the whole shebang took me the time to eat my breakfast. Then again I am on Steam :wink:

And the three steps should stay because the WU should be optional.

1 Like