Upgrade advice - GPU &/or CPU

You’re right. Dropped trees and vegetation graphics both down to ‘high’ and no difference.

The screenshots show what I’m dealing with at Renton. I don’t know what else to try - or if I really need to upgrade.

Fantastic! Deleting those PGs seems to have done the trick.

I also bumped every graphic setting up to “ultra” and v-sync frame rate from 30 to 60. I’m now getting ~ 40 FPS in the air and 30 on the ramp. Xbox game bar console was indicating only 40 - 50% GPU / CPU overall usage. I don’t think I need to upgrade either after all.

The only problem I had (just now, after almost completing a cross-country test flight) was a CTD after I touched down at my destination. Bummer…

But as for the on-the-ramp sluggishness I was having - gone. Outstanding!!

Thanks so much for the advice!

1 Like

That’s great to hear! If you want my tip for lessening the chance of a CTD after a long flight, try disabling rolling cache completely. My theory is that on long or data intensive flights, like flying over PG dense areas, the rolling cache fills and has a bug where it CTDs when it wraps back around to the start.

I stopped getting CTDs on such flights after disabling rolling cache. Again, it is simple to try and easy to reverse if it makes no difference for you,

Imo, the big question is buy the 5800x3d right now or wait for 7800x3d…

One extra question following my original post…

Most of the situations where I have a significant drop in performance is when I have AIG running (think 100% injected near Chicago or Dallas etc… ie multiple high traffic airports). Would this be a situation where I’d see a tangible boost from a new CPU?

Probably, as objects & aircraft using AI tend to be CPU intensive.

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t realise you were the topic author!
I bought an RX 6600, the issue is the x8 factor and PCIe 3.0

I have an even worse Ryzen 5 1600X and a B450 board. The 6600 and 6600XT are both PCIe 4.0 x8, and on PCIe 3.0, they also get 1/2 the data speed. That means they are effectively running at 25% possible speed on PCIe 3.0 motherboards.

I had to replace my old R9 390, as it died, but had I been given the choice I would have upgraded the CPU and board first. The RX 6600 is probably 25% faster than my old R9 was on my current system though.

I understand your dilemma, as the board and CPU are around 300 and the gcard is around the same - and we would have to upgrade both. Upgrading the CPU and board would instantly give a much better data rate, and using the RTX 2060 would be a much better option I suspect.

A B550 board will give PCIe 4.0 to the gcard->CPU interface, and PCIe 3.0 to the rest of the system. It would mean that the gcard can run at full 4.0 speed.
An X570 will give PCIe 4.0 to everything. Only really useful if you need PCIe 4.0 for M.2 drives etc.

I’m looking at trying to borrow £300 to get a 550 and a Ryzen 5 5600 in the next six months, but the only ting that would really benefit would be MSFS 2020 so it’s hard to justify that cash output on my low income.

Does anybody know if Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX is an okay mobo for DDR5 for AMD ? The price is affordable for me and I dont wanna go with a really overpriced mobos but I could use some help here.

Helloooo!

Im considering to update my CPU from a Ryzen 5 2600 to a Ryzen 5 5600X. What do you think?.. is it worth it or not? :thinking:

My GPU is a RX6650 and my RAM is 16 GB at 2666 MHZ

My goal is to fly the FlightSim Studio Embraer without performance issues.

1 Like

You should only consider the Ryzen 5800X3D if upgrading within the AM4 socket. It has a higher cost, but performance is significantly better than the 5600X. Note the 5600X is not even ranked on this graph.

1 Like

What were the LODs? and who in their right mind uses a 4xxx for 1080p? Why DX11? … yes I know it’s a raw performance bench but IMO this chart has practically no useful purpose.

Who knows, but it’s not that important if constant across all tests.

As has been mentioned plenty of times before, CPU gaming benchmarks are done at 1080p to force a CPU bottleneck. Doing a benchmark at 4K is pointless for CPU performance as the GPU is usually the bottleneck.

This chart is very useful for understanding relative CPU performance. The 5800X3D performs roughly 15% better than the 13900K when comparing average fps.

Of course but I meant for us as users it has no practical use and can actually lead people astray.

Edit: my point being that rtx4xxx 4k (and above) simmers will likely get much better results with a 13900K compared to the 5800X3D

1 Like

Thank you so much for you answer. I have been searching for the Ryzen 7 5800X3D but sadly the price its beyond my budget :scream:

So, to upgrade from a Ryzen 5 2600 to a Ryzen 5 5600X its not a good move? :thinking:

It’ll certainly be an upgrade from your current processor, but the 5800X3D is significantly better. I understand you’re limited by a budget, so purchase what makes you comfortable.

1 Like

I managed to grab a 5800X for €248 from Amazon, the extra two cores mean it’s a little more future proof than the 5600X but that shouldn’t make a big difference for just flying.

But yes any upgrade to a 5xxx will give a huge improvement especially as you can then undervolt with PBO to increase your boost clock (or use it to lower temperatures). You will need to budget for a new cooler though as your 2600’s stock Wraith Spire won’t quite be enough for it.

1 Like

I have the AMD Ryzen 5600 and it’s a fantastic CPU at great value. I have a 1070 GPU and I have a great simulation experience even with a GPU which could now be considered old. I am using the B550-A-Pro MB too.

Charles

2 Likes

Be wary of the MSI LED liquid coolers, I had two which started making terrible noises and had to be replaced in quick succession. I cannot recall which model it was, research well if you intend to buy. I settled on a Artic Cooler with LED’s which, ‘touch wood’ have been really good so far.

Charles.

2 Likes

Yeah when I upgraded to a 5800X I settled for a €45 dual 120mm fan 6 heatpipe cooler from Thermaltake rated 180w (athough I think that’s a little ambitious). Anyway with my all mesh case it’s plenty cool enough for my system and very quiet.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice. I will try to find a good price for a Ryzen 7 5800X3D and if I dont find nothing that fits my budget, I will go for the 5600X.

I dont really care to have 60+ FPS, Im happy flying with 40 FPS but the most important for me its a fluid experience with no lags or stutters.

Have a great sunday friend :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes