Upon landing, Do you land by way of cockpit and/or by exterior view? Your Thoughts

Hi there, When I fly I like to take a look from the exterior view of the aircraft to view my landing.I am just wondering what other pilots do by way of looking on the landing?. Any information is greatly appreciated. TIA

Always cockpit, donā€™t really ever use the outside view except when doing walk around before / after flight.

11 Likes

I just about never even switch to external view and definitely not during any sort of precise procedures like takeoff or landing.

7 Likes

I always land in the cockpit view. I only ever go to external view to look around at scenery. I do like to replay my landing afterwards and watch it from the exterior.

2 Likes

I have done both but I use cockpit view most of the time, think that itā€™s actually easier to line up and get proper glide scope with cockpit view.

1 Like

Cockpitā€¦always. External views are nice for replays, but I rarely change view in flight

3 Likes

Cockpit for fixed wing.
External for rotary wing.

I think youā€™ll find that the hard core flight simmers will say cockpit view but the more casual gamers will say external view. Iā€™m in the middle. Iā€™ve been doing most of my landings in external view as I find it easier to use visual cues to land. With that said, I want to become better and Iā€™m working at improving my ability to land from inside the cockpit. I think that will help in the long run when I get more into night flying and IFR conditions.

1 Like

Cockpit = Realism
External = Game

No offence intended to anyone using external of course. No one is forcing you to use either mode.

10 Likes

I always use the cockpit view when landing and taking off. I think it is much easier!

Cockpit view. Once I have the ā€œsight pictureā€ for a given aircraft I find my landings are better from the left seat. I do like to quickly glance in chase view for pattern work turning base from downwind, and then from base to final. That will change once I set up for VR Iā€™m pretty certainā€¦ itā€™ll be cockpit only.

If you want to go hard core. Launch a rocket to orbit in KSC using capsule view!

1 Like

Always cockpit view but when flying Iā€™ll freely pan around outside to check out scenery, the plane etc.

Even though itā€™s ā€˜cheatingā€™ from a realism point of view my reasoning is that in real life you have much more scope to look around outside (from within the cockpit) than you do in the sim (i donā€™t use track iR or VR)

2 Likes

Cockpit only. I changed the camera height to 65 and zoom to 55 so I can easily see the instruments on the TV screen. I also have the Instrument views on hotkeys to be able quickly zoom in/out in case I need it. Headtracking for circle to land maneuvers. I donā€™t use external view for anything but pushback.

1 Like

The external view can be really insightful for working on your technique. Think of it like watching an instructional video. Iā€™ve used it when trying to get high angle of attack bush landings down, where itā€™s incredibly hard to see your touchdown point over the high nose on the taildragger.

Otherwise Iā€™m always in the cockpit, except to grab some postcard views along the flight. I fly in real life for the ā€œgraphicsā€ so if I could switch to external view in real life, I totally would.

Iā€™d like to watch some of my landings in replay though. Is this option just generally available now like it used to be in previous versions of Flight Simulator, or do I have to set it up in Developer Mode (havenā€™t tried it yet)?

1 Like

Always the cockpit. I actually find it easier than the external view as a well, get a better feel.

Both. If I had VR I would stay in the cockpit more often, but sometimes I need to see! External view is easier than moving the camera in many situations.

TrackIR is fantastic in this regard.

1 Like

Always cockpit view!

Always external view, itā€™s too easy in cockpit view.
:grin:

-eelis-