Upper wind speeds are incorrect

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

Upper winds for a long time now are concistently incorrect and outdated. I encounter this every time I fly whether it be in Europe or the USA, the wind speed and direction and also the SAT are often incorrect and appear to be outdated. Sometimes we encounter the sudden change in wind speed (accompanied by a change in air pressure also resulting in the altitude often chaning by +/- 500ft as the correct winds get pulled in, but often they switch straight back to the wrong ones.

To be this is clearly a data issue within Live Weather and it’s about time this was given some proper attention by the developers. It impacts so much from fuel burn, to vatsim altitude disagrees and also overstressing the aircraft with the sudden changes.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Fly and compare the wind speeds and directions to what they should be.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

This has been an issue for months, even over a year.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I’ve been flying the TBM 930 around the world since the start of this year and I can’t say I agree. I use Windy.com and I get consistently proper results for my high-altitude flights and I also am able to use it to determine what runway I will be assigned for take off and landing or which one I will have to choose myself. I will admit the wind is generally off by a few degrees and a few knots I don’t think I would say it is always perfect but I also don’t see why it should be. The MSFS weather system is its own internal model that behaves based off real world data. Some variance should be expected, but it’s never been bad enough that it ruins or really even affects my flight plans in any way.

For example I just flew from Easter Island to Robinson Crusoe at FL295 to complete my journey across the South Pacific and these are the winds I encountered on my journey similar to what is depicted here on windy.com. Tail wind the whole way starting ~30kts and increasing to over 50 during in the flight. It was a nice push!

I agree, I’d always expect some variability compared to the hard figures that are on an OFP, that is what happens in real also. But I am frequently experiencing winds that are 90 degrees off and sometimes over 50 knots in difference compared to what it should be, whether comparing to the OFP or to Windy, there are often big discrepancies. Until the sudden shift of wind happens, and then it switches to the correct winds, sometimes it stays correct, other times it shifts straight back.

If you haven’t experienced these big discrepancies then that’s great but also just adds to the confusion as to whether this impacts everybody or not. There is another thread here relating to upper winds changing suddenly, so I know at least it impacts more people than just myself.

One thing I have noticed is that if you fly predominantly after 18:00z (19:00 UK time) they seem to be correct.

Today for an example, just look at the difference in speed and direction here when it switches:

The winds at 261/12 are what it should have been, within a couple of knots difference as you would expect. Then it switched back to the previous winds of 004/39, so not only more than double in the speed they should be, but now way off in direction also.

I forgot to concur with you on the “wind shear” that can happen every now and then. In a small plane like the TBM it’s quite violent and often scares me nearly out of my chair as I’m just chilling out and reading or something :laughing: