US National Parks Group VFR Tour - Yellowstone/Grand Teton!

Hi there! All are invited to join in on a casual VFR group flight through Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks! All aircraft are welcome, though I’ll be flying the Savage Carbon mod which can be found here.

We’ll begin at Yellowstone Regional Airport in Cody, WY (KCOD). Taking off from Runway 22, we’ll fly west along US Route 14 and the North Fork Shoshone River, until we reach Yellowstone National Park.

When we reach the massive caldera that forms Yellowstone Lake, we’ll fly across to the west side where we’ll meet up with US Route 191, and follow that south towards Grand Teton National Park.

Once we’re in the Tetons, we’ll fly alongside, over, or through the Mountains as we please until we reach the Park’s Southern Border, and the Jackson Hole Airport (KJAC), just southeast of the iconic Grand Teton.

Though I haven’t actually flown through this route in its entirety yet, I don’t imagine it will take much more than 2 hours, but I’ll post an update if I get a chance to fly through it before the day of.

We’ll hope to secure a discord voice channel the day of, and I’ll try to be in one of the Flight voice rooms under multiplayer on the Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord.

See you there! Recommended settings and info below:

Server: East USA
Multiplayer: All
Weather: Your choice (clear skies or few clouds suggested, remember this is VFR!)
Time: Your choice (I’ll be setting my time to about 7:00am local time in Cody for best lighting throughout the flight)
Airports: KCOD (start) and KJAC (end)

Wheels up at 2:30pm EST (19:30 UTC)!

I’ll post an update here about 30 minutes prior with info on which room we’re in on discord.

4 Likes

Would love to see an encore event on the weekend. Sounds fun.

Sounds fun, might be there!

my first time group flying, How do I get an invite to your group at 2:30

Hi, I’ll be joining, are you not providing a flight plan?

anyone please answer This flight starts in three hours, how do i get an invite to join???

We don’t typically use a flight plan for these national parks tours and I’m OK with that. On this flight I plan on using a combination of “follow the highway” and “follow the leader” (with a VFR map on my lap :relieved:)

You don’t need an invite. Just spawn into the airport listed in the description (KCOD) at 19:30 UTC (preferably a few minutes before). If you want to communicate you need to join the Flight Simulator Discord (click on the link in the original post.)

Also make sure you set the proper server (East USA) and select “ALL PLAYERS” in the multiplayer settings or you may find yourself all alone in the middle of Wyoming.

Hey there! To join, go ahead and spawn at the starting airport (KCOD) a few minutes ahead of the start time, and make sure that you have your multiplayer set to “All players” and that you are connected via the “East USA” server.

To select the correct mutliplayer settings, you can go into flight conditions and select all players on the left hand side of your screen.

To select the correct server, click on your profile name at the top right of the screen in the pre-flight window.

Hope this helps, we’ll see you there!

Hi there! For those wishing to use discord for voice communications, we’ll be in Flight 03 on the Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord channel. See you soon!

Yes, this is correct! The navigation for this one shouldn’t be too tough, mostly just follow the highway west until you reach the massive Yellowstone Lake, and then Fly South along the highway and along the mountains through Grand Teton until we get to the destination airport. Looking forward to seeing you there!

I am a first timer, PLEASE, where do I go to find "we’ll be in Flight 03 on the Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord channel, I am on discord and signed in yet no sound, just engine noise