CTD when connecting or disconnecting a USB device

My solution was to spread out all my USB peripherals on two powered USB hubs.
No more CTD after that.
The strange thing is that I ran everything off one hub for a long time without issues, but suddenly MSFS started to crash repeatedly.

I run 6 powered usb hubs with 27 devices. It took me a while of trial and error to figure out what devices will live together on what hubs with this sim and W11. CTD’s were a thing of the past till this week. now I crash to desktop multiple times a day while flying in this sim. and its only when I run fs2020, all my other sims run fine. just saying ur not the only ones, Im sure they will address it.

PC
Microsoft Store Version 22112.1401.2.0
Not in developer mode

Description:

When plugging in any peripherals into my PC during gameplay, or loading screens, the game will crash to desktop. In some cases it just freezes for approximately 30-45 seconds.

Game will crash when plugging in peripherals such as:

• Turning on wireless mouse or keyboard
  • Plugging in Honeycomb Alpha Yoke
  • Plugging in any other joystick
  • Turning on Astro Mix Amp for headset
  • Plugging in VR headset

I like to swap to VR when playing, but it is impossible due to the game crashing when plugging in any peripherals. Sometime I want to switch to my headset instead of speakers, but that causes the game to crash as well.

PC Specs:
RTX 3080
i7 9700K @4.7Ghz
32GB Corsair vengeance rgb pro
1 TB M.2 Kingston
Windows 11

Build Version:
Has been happening in all builds.

Here is a link to a search for the issue in Zendesk support.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/search?utf8=✓&query=CTD+when+pugging+in+peripherals&commit=Search

1 Like

You are not alone 

I though that use to be thing some versions ago, but it got semi fixed in later releases, and now it does not typically cause a CTD, but might Freeze the sim for some time, up to 30 seconds maybe.

I had this issue when I forget to sync my Bluetooth headset before starting MSFS, and found that the quick solution of unplugging the USB Bluetooth device, and then plugging it back in again to establish a connection, use to crash the sim.

Now, If i forget to sync it, I do so with a more lengthy procedure, that avoids unplugging & re-connecting the USB device.

Your VR set is a bigger issue !!

It needs to be fixed correctly and permanently – but then, so do so many other issues,

I actually thought that this fragile behavior was fixed by now. But no, I had to small smile.

Description:
Too new to upvote, so adding my experience
 the simulator freezes completely on plugging in mouse & keyboard (not when mouse & keyboard are disconnected). This has only been experienced when in an active flight, both on the taxiway and in the air.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up of relevant:

• i9-12900k, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
  • 4-Port KVM switch for Mouse (Logitech MX Master 2) & Keyboard (Microsoft Natural Ergo Kbd 4000) only; Logitech Extreme 3D joystick.

Build version 18 (fresh install, no 3D party addons).

This has been an issue from release but used to be worse for me. Sometimes the sim freezed for seconds or even half a minute and also cause CTDs.

Probably after SU5 or 6 it was less severe on my side but i still have short freezes after plugging/ unplugging USB devices.

The Xbox controller also triggered CTDs for me, i have to use it wired because wireless disconnects automatically after some minutes and cause this freeze or CTD.

Remember to disable the USB power-saving feature for all peripherals used in MSFS in Windows - this is a big source of peripheral-related CTD.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

NO

Brief description of the issue:

when i plug in or plug out devices while being in a flight, the sim crashes to desktop. i feel like it happens more often while plugging devices IN.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Load a flight, plug in a usb device (like a joystick)

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

pc specs: 11900K, gtx3090, asus maximus hero motherboard

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

don’t know. currently using SU9

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

This is common / known. The sim has always very sensitive to peripherals being removed / added after it’s been loaded.

1 Like

Just general USB issues. It absolutely should not cause CTD’s, but it does.

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

Brief description of the issue:

Simulator CTD when USB yoke disconnects during flight.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

• Provider

[ Name] Application Error

• EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Version 0

Level 2

Task 100

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

• TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2022-05-19T16:29:30.3632526Z

EventRecordID 63116

Correlation

• Execution

[ ProcessID] 30528
[ ThreadID] 0

Channel Application

Computer Desktop

Security

• EventData

FlightSimulator.exe
    FlightSimulator.exe
    c0000005
    0000000001ca8f1e
    49bc
    01d86b8e77560b25
    C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.25.9.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
    C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.25.9.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
    16ab31f2-a291-4e10-8d65-6907f9458545
    Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.25.9.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    App

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Launch sim, while flying around, disconnect USB peripheral while flying around and sim will freeze and CTD

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Thrustmaster Airbus USB joystick
Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue: Always had this problem since 2 years

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I’ve done it. You can fly with keyboard only. Take off, and cruise are fine. Landing is pretty tricky, but certainly doable.

2 Likes

oh
 I remember the ages with these digital joysticks where we simulated a “analog feeling” with shaking this thing so fast back-forward 
 I have these image that you do same with the keyboard in my mind :rofl:

2 Likes

I still get CTD when I plug in my X52 every time. So this issue is still not fixed. Hopefully SU10 will fix it?

USB connects/disconnects are well known to cause Crashes to Desktop. They shouldn’t, but they do.

There was a trick to removing a “null” profile, a profile with no bindings, last year some time. Some users had null profiles, which were fine, until an SU broke that. I think the trick was to delete the local copy of the null profile, and put the sim into an offline state so it wouldn’t just pull the broken copy down from the cloud again. You can then create a new profile based on the “default” for the joystick, then turn off offline mode.

There are posts on the forum that go into this in more detail than that, but that was the gist of it, if indeed this is your issue.

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: CTD when I switch/disconnect keyboard and/or mouse

I also have this issue. Microsoft store bought, PC, flying SFO-BOS and got almost to Chicago and needed to plug my headset in to charge.

Plugged my headset in, heard the blip of it being recognised, and the sim froze for 10-15 seconds and CTD.

Weirdly I’d booted the sim the day before forgetting to plug in my Logitech joystick and when reconnecting that prior to pushback the sim froze but quickly opened up the ‘new device detected. Customise or use default’ menu and was fine thereafter.

How on earth is this an issue in 2022!

Everything latest drivers and sim versions etc.