UserCFG.opt Standard settings

Hi,

I followed a youtube Video and changed the post processing segment in the Usercfg.opt file. Now my simulator looks absolutely terrible and I wanted to now if there is a chance to reset them? I tried in the sim by setting back to deafault but it still looks bad. The written words in the sim and in the cockpit are totally blury and unsharp, it really is a mess… Or maybe someone has the standard settings of that file?

The odd thing is, that if I have my sim open and press windows key for the windows tab to appear, the texture is normal in that moment. When I return to the sim its blury again…

Thanks

1 Like

Topic moved into Community Support. When seeking advice or assistance, please use a subcategory in Community Support.

Simply delete the file. The sim will create a new one upon restarting. It will set your graphics settings to default for your hardware.

2 Likes

No, on no account delete the Usercfg.opt file.
If you delete the Usercfg.opt file, Microsoft will start to reinstall the entire simulator, because MSFS looks for the pre-existing installation at the location given in the last line of the Usercfg.opt file.

No it does not, I have deleted it on several occasions and that has never happened.

1 Like

If during installation you point the target folder to the installed location, it’s absolutely fine.

Perhaps I should qualify my comment.

If you have let MSFS install into its default location, then the Usercfg.opt file can indeed be deleted without incident.

However, if you did not, deleting the Usercfg.opt file will tell MSFS to look at the default location and when it does not find the files there, it will want to install the whole simulator content into the default location, regardless of the fact that it is still there in the bespoke location, chosen by the user.

Apologies for not making this absolutely clear, but there are many posts here and in other forums, where users have ended up with two installations and “lost” all of their Community addons, because they were in the previously installed Community folder that the Usercfg.opt file no longer points at.

As it happens, I have a custom installation and this issue does not occur by deleting the file. MSFS knows where the installation is when it recreates the usercfg.opt file, for me at the very least. I can’t see why it would do that for other installations. I would assume it’s to do with reading from the registry.

Then you are very fortunate, perhaps you do not have the Microsoft Store version, or perhaps you are not deleting the Usercfg.opt file that MSFS reads.
MSFS is installed into G:\Microsoft Flight Simulator here and deleting/renaming the Usercfg.opt file results in this:

Yes I have ms store version and I have installed in I:drive.

That’s perfectly correct however if you click on the file path shown at the bottom you can simply point it to where your packages actually lie. Then clicking the update button will close the update dialogue and start MSFS just as normal.
I’ll just add that this wasn’t the case before SU8 or SU9 when chaos ensued but it has been reliable since then.

1 Like

Confirmed, i have done this yesterday and it works without downloading the sim

2 Likes

Clearly you are very wise and well versed in the ways of the Microsoft Flight Simulator.
I only mentioned it because there were so many, in the past, who had not noticed what you did and installed a second copy.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.