Using NVIDIA Nsight Systems to analyze graphics performance/stutters

This looks like a great tool for for analyzing graphics performance, looking for cause of stutters, etc.

I have the MS Store version of the sim. When I try to use Nsight, I get an error trying to point it at the FlightSimulator.exe file. I have taken ownership of the Windows Apps folders, but I still cant get past this with Nsight. I have been successful with other apps, but not Nsight.

The specific error I’m getting is “You don’t have permission to open this file”. Of course, I don’t think anyone has permission to open it :slight_smile: I just want to tell Nsight which program to target.

If someone has been able to use Nsight with the Microsoft Store version, it would be a huge assist if you can tell me how to make it work.

Also, I’m interested to hear what others think of Nsight. It looks VERY cool from what I’ve seen.

Thanks in advance!

One possible reason this tool doesn’t work with flightsimulator.exe might be how MSFS was compiled. There may not be any “hooks” in MSFS needed by this tool.

It does look very cool for hardware and software engineers and developers. For casual and even advanced users, it is TMI. The only issue I have with this tool is the “so what” factor. If someone found one of the reasons for stutters using this tool, what would happen? Open a Zendesk ticket? And Asobo would say? And if results are posted here, most people would not be able to understand how the graphics technology works at the level of detail provided by this tool.

I hope that MS/Asobo is using this tool or something similar to optimize MSFS. They have the source code which is needed to make this tool useful.

I think it can be an excellent educational tool for anyone want to explore the inner workings of the graphics pipeline nanosecond by nanosecond. I don’t think it would be helpful in configuring MSFS graphics parameters mostly because the information collection is limited to the user’s system.

Windows has a similar tool that collects information on the entire system and the analyzer can drill down to the thread and stack level.