VCRUNTIME140.dll Error

This is what the crash dump stack is suggesting.

Very interesting. Renoir looks to be older technology from what I can find poking around on the 'netā€¦

Before update 4 after a CTD iā€™d pull up event viewer and itā€™d show ā€œvcruntime140.dllā€ as what caused the CTD but now:

ctd

1 Like

Is there anything as the end user we can do about it so we can stop these stupid CTDs? Iā€™ve hit my wits end and pretty much called it quits with MSFS. Extremely disappointing.

Yep. The latest sim update did nothing to fix these issues. I get both the above error, still get VCRUNTIME140 and .NET - even though .NET was recently updated. I hope they have better luck with the xbox release because if people say ā€œitā€™s AMDā€ yadda yadaa, that is what the xbox is based onā€¦

This was yesterday during a multiplayer streaming flight:
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.16.2.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: VCRUNTIME140.dll, version: 14.28.29914.0, time stamp: 0x605e52a0
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000000156f
Faulting process id: 0x566c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d756589c922995
Faulting application path: F:\Steam SSD\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\VCRUNTIME140.dll
Report Id: 036d4656-23d3-4711-af1c-9f88a8bad2be
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

This shows up as a .NET error in the logs
Application: FlightSimulator.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FFD47C5156F

Doesnā€™t look good for MSFS when these CTDs happen during large YouTube or Twitch streamsā€¦ You would think theyā€™d be all over this and letting us know what is going on or at least where they are at in fixing the issue.

Short answer, no.

Many of these CTDs are due to code weaknesses only Asobo / Microsoft can fix.

I look into every single CTD happening on my setup and, as I said many times, more than 90% of them are due to an invalid pointer passed to ā€œmemcpyā€ in the RenoirCore library by the Path::Create method (this library is from a third party). As has been discussed in length, the real cause cannot be pinpointed easily without the source code. I suspect a threading synchronization / race condition issue.

Anyhow, if it was that simple, they would have fixed it.

The only thing that makes me angry, is that technically, the code can be shielded to survive exceptions. It does have a small performance hit but, I would prefer to have a stutter or a visual artifact rather than losing my flight session.

And considering the amount of people having this issue, I just canā€™t believe they are not actively trying to resolve itā€¦ including getting rid of this library (which according to the documentation, does not seem to be irreplaceable).

I still have some hope.

3 Likes

Thanks for the input @StopHalfling310. I have been having the same issues as many of the others here. Iā€™m running stock, no additional performance tools, the sim mostly on vanila with one livery mod but even with that off Iā€™ve been getting the same issues with this. Some days I can fly with no issues for hours. Other days, crashing all the time. Itā€™s maddening.

Hopefully, they will get to the root of this but it is starting to stop people who enjoy the sim from even playing.

You canā€™t fix VCRUNTIME140.dll error (CTD). For sure Asobo know that smth is wrong with copy a block of memory from a location to another. They must fix it asap.

3 Likes

Same here. No mods whatsoever.
Plain vanilla with 3 additional planes from the Store.

Sometimes, stable flights in VR. Some other times, CTD galore.

Agreed! Their programmers need to catch this exception and handle it gracefully rather than allowing it to continue.

1 Like

Since the small update I have had VCRUNTIME140.dll errors several times. What was Asobo doing there?

1 Like

My msfs crashes also all the time:

Description
Faulting Application Path: D:\Games\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: FlightSimulator.exe
Application Version: 1.16.2.0
Application Timestamp: 00000000
Fault Module Name: VCRUNTIME140.dll
Fault Module Version: 14.28.29910.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 602478b9
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000001597
OS Version: 10.0.19042.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 8192
Additional Information 1: 8c66
Additional Information 2: 8c662f6c7f00d6de72ab9c998f8b8ef9
Additional Information 3: 769f
Additional Information 4: 769fa7f36cb54c3111296e8d18c23b66

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 2bc072883cdb1dbd8eb3f8c710ebe0df (2212385375835119839)

Read this post CTDs after months of working perfectly - Bugs & Issues / Performance, Graphics & CTDs - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

On release I had no CTDs. After an early 2021 update CTDs caused by VCRUNTIME140.dll started for me. Two weeks before Sim Update IV was released I tried the pagefile method and it seemed to work since I had no CTDs afterwards. But then came Sim Update IV and CTDs are back. Yeahā€¦

First: the quick and dirty method after proper shutdown of the sim

1. Empty the Community folder.
  2. Go 2 levels up into the Microsoft folder, locate the file Content.xml and delete this file.
    File location in Steam: C:\Users*YourUsernameAppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator
    File location in Store: C:\Users*YourUsername
    \AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\
  3. Restart the sim and let me know.

Nope heading to Orlando from Tampa 30 min flight crash on finial like always.
I think we are STUCK with this ā– ā– ā– ā–  until DirectX 12 They are NOT going to bother to fix this DirectX 11 version CTD. Why Would They

By the way the support is a joke. I wrote them a detailed description of the problem and all I got is a standard copy&paste ā€œDoes your system meet the minimum requirements? Try to run the without any add ons. etcā€¦ā€ answer. So they didnā€™t even read my ticket. By now they really earned a negative steam review.

1 Like

I may (or may not) have found something interesting:
In the past with one of the older AMD graphics drivers I got driver time out notifications when the CTDs occured. So I started investigating a bit in that direction. One thing that was mentioned was editing the registry value for graphic driver timeout. After doing so I got a CTD on startup of MSFS (which is really rare). It took more time until I was back to Desktop (for obvious reasons), but the interesting part is that I now got a different error in the event log. Now the module with the error is atidxx64.dll and there is an additional error for the graphics driver one second later.
One possible explanation is that due to giving it more time the exception got to a different point when timeout occured. But since VCRUNTIME140.dll seems to be a graphics library I donā€™t know if this really gives us more information.

MODERATOR EDIT: This post merged from another topic.

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.
REMOVED
Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
NO
Brief description of the issue:
MSFS reinstalled yesterday. Create a flight at any airport results in a crash while the sim is in the aerial preview of the scene. Sounds startsā€¦pauseā€¦restartsā€¦CTD
Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:
Canā€™t provide a screenshot but I can provide this log:

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: FlightSimulator.exe
P2: 1.16.2.0
P3: 00000000
P4: VCRUNTIME140.dll
P5: 14.29.30037.0
P6: 609de407
P7: c0000005
P8: 0000000000001202
P9:
P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_FlightSimulator._88e1236ec4fccada37c074754e64089dc48594c_91571582_43f54dfe-3091-4390-ba70-85b51281e843

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: e1af6aaa-548a-4315-9405-5a7729c45436
Report Status: 4
Hashed bucket:
Cab Guid: 0

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?
STEAM
Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?

Your solution: How To Get Rid Of CTD ā€“ flightsim eindhoven

2 Likes