VCRUNTIME140.dll Error

looks like you found the source of your problems then.

Hello everyone, I return to this thread since yesterday I inexplicably had 140.dll-0000000005 again, without having modified anything in FS or the Nvidia control panel. Well, looking at many posts from colleagues, I observe that when you review the events you only see those produced in ā€œApplicationā€ but yesterday I realized that in the ā€œsystemā€ events there are also errors and the most worrying thing is that in my case they are the ones that They produce the errors in the Application, since they occur a few seconds before. In my case it refers to ā€œnvlddmkm.sysā€, I donā€™t know if this is the case or in other cases other drivers are involved. This kernel is part of the Nvidia driver set in this case. So I wonder, are we not targeting the Application error, when the real culprit is a driver? I say this because I have not seen in the forums anything related to this.
I understand that if an error occurs in a driver that conflicts with something in the simulator, automatic and cascading, other errors occur in the FS application.
Sadly I am not a computer technician how can I find out more about this file. Looking in St.Google and in not very old publications there is something that does not match my configuration, almost all the solutions refer to the location of said file that they follow is in this path C: / Windows / System32 / Drivers, but not I managed to see it there, looking for it on my PC I found it in this path C: / Windows / System32 / Drivers Store / File Repository. Having seen this, I reinstalled the Nvidia drivers again in case there had previously been a bad installation or a corruption in my drivers and the new installation ignored that file again in the path indicated on the internet. I would like if you. you can look at this.

1. If you get an error of 140.dll or 000000005 not only look in the event viewer in application but also in System.
  2. If the file I refer to, where do you have it located?
    I have installed the 461.40 drivers, I will continue investigating on the internet.
    Thanks

If installing older VC++ redistributables, you should uninstall the later ones first, and then re-install them again afterwards (and use the combined 2015-2019 VC++ redistribs) as they need to be installed in-order.

Thatā€™s interesting. Iā€™ve just rebuilt my PC. Didnā€™t reinstall the the G Hub yet but did install iCUE. Still getting CTD. Iā€™ll try disabling iCUE next.

Hi fellow simmers. I had been struggling with the VCRUNTIME.DLL CTDs for a while. Finally did some digging and found that there were several installations of Microsoft Visual C++ XXXX-XXX Redistributable (x64) packages installed on my system. Like 8 or 9. I finally ended up deleting all of them and reinstalling the latest from the x64 link here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads-2647da03-1eea-4433-9aff-95f26a218cc0.

I have now about 20 hours of flying since the changes and no CTDs so far.

Remember that some of the programs you install will also ā€œoptionallyā€ try to install a specific VB version because that is what they used to compile the program in. So, you end up with a ton of different versions of VB installed. I know that some of the 3rd party flight sim companion apps that I have installed do this. So, going forward, I will make sure that there is only the latest installed. If the 3rd party app stops working, then so be it. I would rather fly than troubleshoot other programmersā€™ problems.

Hope this helps!

Nope, never a good idea to uninstall older versions. That is asking for trouble from Windows

1 Like

Anybody still having this problemā€¦ Recently started having CTD with VCRUNTIME.DLL started having shortly after RX6800xt upgrade running with i7 7770k 32gb Ram and SSD

2 Likes

Yup, I have RX6800XT and am getting VRRUNTIME140.DLL or D3D11.DLL crash every flight. Running 10850K with 64GB RAM. It happens mostly in VR mode. Lowering the render scale in sim has helped but not a real fix. I think the SIM has a bug in utilizing GPU at max load. I run a waterloop and the hotspot on my 6800XT never rises above 72c. And it happens only with MSFS2020. I hope this will be fixed in the next sim update. This issues has been around since the release, though.

3 Likes

Yeah, definitely something wrongā€¦ Iā€™ve spent the day trying to sort it I was finding if I take off from Southampton flying to France it was crashing in the same spot every timeā€¦ I did the flight 3 times and everytime it crashed, Iā€™d also find it was crashing on flights to airports I hadnā€™t visited beforeā€¦ So I deleted the cache turned on DATA Limit and done the flight again and this time no crash and I managed to land at the airportā€¦ so Iā€™m not sure if this has fixed my problem but gonna try a few new routes and see what happens

1 Like

Iā€™ve open two tickets thus far on this, first ticket came back with the ā€œdelete the c++ redistributables and reinstall.ā€ I did and CTD continued to happen no matter where I was flying. Put in second ticket response was ā€œsend us your msinfo and dxdiag filesā€ did that andā€¦ Nothing back.

Iā€™ve only started having this particular CTD after the UK update. Thereā€™s so many ā€œtry this, do thatā€ things out there that with so many variables being changed weā€™ll never know what is truly causing all of these issues. But I get the VCRUNTIME and now .NET errors.

1 Like

Yeah I had another crashā€¦ after deleting cache but then realised i turned back on the Text to speech so set that to Windows offline mode and has been ok, but yeah lots of people having this problem in different scenarios, I think it was probably after the UK update I started having trouble, Hopefully, they sort it soon

1 Like

So after you said that Azure was turned back on by the latest update I went and checked and sure enough it did turn Azure back on after I had turned it off back a couple months earlier. Hereā€™s what I did:

1. Deleted cache AND set the new cache to be saved on my F: drive (which is an SSD and where I have the Steam version of MSFS installed - I donā€™t know if that makes a difference)
  2. Set ā€œText-to-speechā€ to windows offline
  3. Downloaded the ā€œhotfixā€ yesterday (I know itā€™s the ā€œflapsā€ fix but almost a gb to fix a config file? This is suspect)

I changed 3 variables. Afterwards I flew in multiplayer on East Coast server, N. Europe server, used 3rd party aircraft, default aircraft, various weather setting, all for about 5 hours and not a single CTD.

My money is on Azure causing the runtime error. Maybe the cache being what it is but I donā€™t think so. The ā€œhotfixā€ maybe if they put something in there they didnā€™t mentionā€¦

2 Likes

Happy I found this thread and the suggestion to change the Text-To-Speech option.

Since I donā€™t care about any of the built-in voices in MSFS, I set it to OFF. Hoping that might address the issue Iā€™ve been having lately with random CTDs caused by VCRUNTIME140.dll.

1 Like

Ever since I installed my new Gigabyte 6800XT yesterday (running the latest 21.2.3 drivers), Iā€™ve been consistently getting CTDs literally every single time, ranging from anywhere between loading screens, main menu and the first 5-10 minutes of each flight, usually when switching between apps. As for the errors they are not always the same, but Iā€™d never seen a vcruntime140.dll one. I must have counted more than 30 CTDs in a row.

I hadnā€™t got error vcruntime140.dll though until todayā€™s new patch and now I get only this one even without switching other apps. Also no other errors, just vcruntime140.dll.

I found that the only way to stop this is to launch AMD Radeon settings, go to Performance ā†’ Tuning tab and set Tuning Control to Manual. I donā€™t have to enable any settings in particular, I just leave them as they are, ie. all disabled. And I havenā€™t got a CTD in at least 10-20 tries with more than a couple of hours of total flying time. It canā€™t be a coincidence. This worked both with the previous errors and also with vcruntime140.dll.

Itā€™s as if when Radeon uses the default settings to automatically overclock the GPU, the game always crashes at some point. Iā€™ve been running Division 2 at ultra settings and Iā€™m not getting any issues, so must be an MSFS thing. Guess Iā€™ll just stick to manual settings until further notice, as they donā€™t seem to impact performance anyway.

Iā€™ve been using manual overclocking with rock solid stability. Only MSFS crashes the sim. I was able to minimize CTDs by upping the power limit and lowering the graphics settings, but after the SIM update, it still crashes with the same vcruntime140.dll or d3dll.dll. So frustrating. I hope either AMD or MSFS will fix this soon, but they both have been silent. Keep sending your bug reports so that the issue will get some attention.

1 Like

It has been proven (anecdotally) that overclocking is the single greatest cause of CTD. Many users are unaware that most motherboard and memory manufacturers have some overclocking ā€˜built inā€™ to the default settings. A quick look at the BIOS to confirm that no BIOS based overclock is enabled, followed by checking any ā€˜boostā€™ software that is loaded by the MB/Mem manufacturer at boot time.

I have seen numerous cases where an overclocked (memory boosts count) passes all the tests you can throw at it but still crashes under MSFS.

My suggestion would be to disable ANY O/C and test MSFS. If the CTDā€™s persist then confirm NO boost is applied to MEM/CPU/GPU. If they still persist then you have a separate issue. (less than 32GB total available mem is a good bet)

If the CTDā€™s go away, you can start playing with your O/C settings and test each change, in MSFS. I have some clocking on my system and have not encountered a CTD since August. Obviously it is the balance between CPU/GPU/Mem/pipeline that is critical.

Start at 0 at work up. Easiest way to narrow it down.

1 Like

I have. Iā€™ve spent the last 8 weeks trying undervolt, underclock, stock, power limit, RAM timing, anything you can think of. This particular CTD happens in VR mode only. It is how MSFS and the GPU drivers interacts. Trust me, itā€™s not the overclocking that is causing this CTD.

May I suggest then that you take advantage of the VR bug sub. This error, affecting the BASE sim is a very different animal from your issue. There may be some VR users that can assist you to find a solution.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good approach and advice there, thanks.

MSI B550 motherboard has been running under Game Boost mode with default settings for months now with no issues really, boosting a 5600X and also an R9 290X (slightly and manually O/Cā€™ed via Radeon app). Also 32GB RAM is running as XMP2.0 at 3600MHz. So CTDs canā€™t be coming from there.

The generic CTD issues began immediately after I upgraded to a 6800XT (and only under Automatic OC mode as it seems) while the VCRUNTIME140.dll-specific CTDs began after yesterdayā€™s patch. I assume that Manual mode in Radeon app wonā€™t O/C anything unless you explicitly tell it to. So for now it seems that ā€œno GPU O/C = no CTDā€, at least for me. Iā€™ll keep testing.

Do you have any update to your trouble shooting?

At this point Iā€™m kind of wonder what the heck is going on with this. It seems everything and everyone is all over the place.

I know that there are three of us in a large group of online streamers that almost always have CTDs and all three of us have AMD CPUs and GPUs of various varieties. Iā€™m the only one out of the three that when I get the CTD it also sets off my AMD bug report/debugger, so I fill that out and send it inā€¦

Iā€™m trying a few things today to see what happens: Iā€™ve manually set my GPU to work in ā€œhigh performance modeā€ from the setting menu in windows, Iā€™ve uninstalled all the oculus software including tray tool, and I uninstalled and re-installed the redist files in proper order, did the deep uninstall with DDU on my GPU, no over clocking or anything like that, created a pagefile.

Iā€™m trying to think back to when all this started and it seems like there was a lot going on, I got a Rift S, there was the UK world update, I added a second monitor, etc. etc. It really is rediculous though because is the point of a piece of software to work is that it works on machines that at least meet a minimum requirement?

I would say this is an AMD issue but I see plenty of people with Intel and Nvidia hardware going through the same thing.

Hereā€™s what Iā€™m trying today:

1. Removed All Oculus software including tray tool
  2. Set MSFS App to run in High Performance Mode
  3. Going to change my data limit from unlimited to 40
    • Updated router and rebooted* alright done yesterday and had a CTD in a flight of 3
  4. Will try to disable onboard integrated graphics port on my MoBo if itā€™s available

Again, itā€™s like throwing a bunch of stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks. The setting the AMD radeon software to ā€œmanualā€ without changing anything has me intrigued though.

And just so Iā€™m clear on my System:
CPU AMD Ryzen 3600
MoBo: Bazooka B350
Ram: 32 gb
MSFS installed on 1 tb SSD
PSU: EVGA 220-G4-0750-X1 Super Nova 750 80 Plus Gold 750w

And just a side note, I find it extremely obsurd that apparently if any one thing that changes to your computer can cause just MSFS to be the problem. The PCs are always in a constant state of change whether by updating, how someone is using, what programs are running that you may not even know about, etc. etc. BUT only MSFS is affected. The fact that people are on here saying that itā€™s YOUR pc or hardware is really beyond belief because if that was the case than people would have all kinds of issues with other software titles and they arenā€™t. Itā€™s always a consistant ā€œonly get this with MSFSā€ and the response is ā€œwell itā€™s you or your PC not MSFS because of Xā€ but we all easily meet or better the minimum requirements.

I donā€™t know, Iā€™m exhausted trying to figure out what is going on and we shouldnā€™t have to go through this and I have spent a TON of money on and for this software and this is the best responses from support I get. I just canā€™t wait until this software hits the Xbox market and weā€™ll see how fast things really spiral out of control when those servers get nailed by a bunch of new players and how many times you think console players will download 100+gb. :frowning:

2 Likes